Mind Technologies To Offer Thought-Controlled Apps For Android

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,877
Points 1,116,645
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Nov 24 2010 12:28 AM

Mind Technologies thinks big. It has declared it will bring "thought-controlled applications" to the Android market. It also plans to build an alternative to the strange-but-true Emotiv headset that allows thought to operate machines.

Mind Technologies currently makes a trifecta of "thought-controlled" devices and applications for the PC all of which rely on Emotiv's electroencephalogram (EEG) headset. Last month, it released its third product, a game controller named Master Mind. CEO Brent Fouch contends that thought-controlled games are faster to operate. Downside: say good-bye for the need for, and development of, hand-eye coordination. The company also sells a mouse named Mind Mouse and a Tic Tac Toe game. It's all a bit pricey for the casual, curious type. The Emotiv headset costs $300 and the Mind Technologies mouse or game controller will set you back another $100 each.

UPDATED 11/29/2010: Details on Mind Technologies' specific plans to create EEG Android apps are scarce. though we are pressing the company to tell us more. CEO Brent Fouch told us, "We believe it will be 3-4 months for the headset technology to be available. Mind Technologies’ will be compatible with Android to utilize mobile apps. Our headset will utilize advanced technologies to reduce the dirty noise and isolate the signal we are seeking," he said, adding: "The Emotiv headset is not compatible with Android. However, we will still continue development for the Emotiv platform, as we have an established client base that looks forward to new apps associated with the Emotiv headset they currently own."

Fouch has released a succession of statements that offer more insight into his plans. He got his company listed on the European Stock Exchange and this, Fouch believes, will let him to raise up to $15 million in capital to build the new headsets, get the Android drivers and applications built and so on. Given that Mind Technologies (formerly called Jedi Mind) trades as an OTC penny stock (yes, it literally costs a penny), we are skeptical that Fouch will be able to pull off his grand vision.

Nevertheless EEG headsets are legit. Mind Technologies wouldn't even be the first company to offer an alternative to Emotiv. OTZ Technology has been selling its NIA (Neural Impulse Actuator) game controller for about a year now. Our lengthy review of the NIA confirmed that it worked, though it required a long, and strange, learning curve.

If the technology becomes easier to master, it may prove a natural fit for the mobile market. Such a mobile device (brings new meaning to the word smartphone, doesn't it?) could perhaps eliminate some of our distracted driving issues. And given its name and open source status, isn't Android the ideal mobile platform to get thought-controlled apps first?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Now that would be funny, if they develop a mind controll Tetris app. that you can play when on the toilet.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 133
Points 1,955
Resin replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 1:01 PM

I've been following emotive for a few years now, while sceptical I am very much rooting for the EEG tech.

I want to see them integrate their hardware with a head tracker, some 3d glasses and surround sound headphones and still have it all fit comfortably over my glasses.

Having it all work and be somewhat affordable would be nice too.

I don't know how much I would personally care if it works with smart phones, but one big application that emotive is looking at is using it as an aid for the handicapped, and in that sense having an EEG sensor that is compatible with an android, I would think, would be huge, if you think about how someone without full use of their body or voice might use this.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,437
Points 102,170
MembershipAdministrator

animatortom:
Now that would be funny, if they develop a mind controll Tetris app. that you can play when on the toilet.

Yeah Tom, most of us are thinking 'Tetris' while taking a dump! LOL! Indifferent

As to the technology, let me know when I can use it to drive a Tank.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 133
Points 1,955
Resin replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 5:33 PM

I don't know about a tank but they did demonstrate using it to fire a flame thrower. I think even in its current state it can give you an analog signal that a decent mechanical engineer could convert to pedal commands, the larger hurdle would be getting the tank and permission for the necessary modifications which would make the tank less functional for others.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Ok, not Tetris....Maybe a facial mapping app for when you are Snapping a Grumpy?

I was just thinking of a game that you would have to push with precision.Ick!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,437
Points 102,170
MembershipAdministrator

animatortom:
I was just thinking of a game that you would have to push with precision

Oh YEAH!,.......When I grunted, it would crash the Jet, or accidentally launch a nuclear strike or something!

Besides, if the wife caught me playing computer games while on the commode, she'd probably leave me, and I really wouldn't be able to blame her.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,437
Points 102,170
MembershipAdministrator

Resin:
the larger hurdle would be getting the tank

Ha-Ha! I drove a Tank a few times many years ago at Hunter Liggett Military Reservation in California. I squashed an Oak Tree and didn't even know I did it until I was done. Got my ass chewed for it too.

Driving the Tank was right up there with some of the best things I have done in life. What a balls-out blast it was. Contrary to what many people think, they are not pokey and slow. They haul ass even as big as they are. The tech inside of them is impressive too. They are a rolling weapons platform.

The military always has the very best toys to be had.

(Mark Twain)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Call of Duty 5...Prostate Ops?Super Angry

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
  • Filed under:
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,437
Points 102,170
MembershipAdministrator

animatortom:
Call of Duty 5...Prostate Ops?

LOL!

(gives new meaning to the term, "dropping a bomb")

(Mark Twain)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

Nice to post it. I've been following emotive for a few years now, while sceptical I am very much rooting for the EEG tech.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255

Really? cause resin just said the same thing up there word for word. ^Surprise

i7 950 - ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - ASUS GTX 570 - AZZA Hurricane - 6 GB Corsair 1600 - Corsair AX750 - WD 1tb black  Cool Thank You HH!!!!!!Cool

AMD 1090T - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - XFX HD5850 x2 - CM Storm Scout - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Corsair HX850 - Sammy spinpoint f3 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,437
Points 102,170
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Dec 14 2010 8:27 AM

lifeskills:
cause resin just said the same thing up there word for word

LOL!

(Mark Twain)

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS