AMD Zacate E-350 Processor Performance Preview

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,161
Points 1,185,505
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Nov 16 2010 12:48 AM
Last week we brought you a detailed overview of AMD's first ever, fully integrated CPU-GPU combination born out of the company's "Fusion" technology initiative.  Dubbed the first ever APU or Accelerated Processing Unit, AMD's claimed goal is to offer a more balance and efficient low power platform for thin and light notebooks and netbooks.  The CPU codename is "Zacate" and the new mobile platform AMD has been developing, is internally referred to as "Brazos".  But we're sure you're not here to read buzz words and code names. The data we shared with you last week was pretty much everything we knew, short of performance metrics.  We know, no fun at all. AMD wanted that information held until today.

The version of the chip we looked at specifically was the higher-end 18 Watt chip that will be branded as the E-350 Fusion processor. This incarnation of Fusion goodness runs at 1.6GHz and does so quite nicely as you'll see...

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,648
Points 104,085
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Nov 16 2010 8:32 AM

So it works well and costs less than the Intel parts. It's business as usual, it seems.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,945

Not quite Neil.  Not only does it work well and cost less, it actually equals or excedes the performance at lower peak power and much lower idle power draw.  This thing is going to be a monster if AMD can get system builders on board.

What I would really like to see is a low end market chip made by fusing two Zacate's together and turning up the clocks a bit.  This would be =<38mm.  Heck, they could squeeze some more IO into the chip, maybe move the PCIe controller on chip if not on die.

I'm sure they should be able to squeeze 4@ 2Ghz core and 320@ 500Mhz video with dual channel memory into a 45 watt power envelope with PCIe on die/chip.  Pulling that off, 4@ 2.8Ghz core and 320@ 750Mhz video with dual channel memory into a 65 watt power envelope with PCIe on die/chip is not out of the question.  I think this would be an interesting chip to slot between Zacate and Llano.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,648
Points 104,085
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Nov 16 2010 9:57 AM

I meant business as usual pertaining to AMD's usual bang for the buck offerings.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,945

Ah, true that.  More bang for the buck without any of the drawbacks (more power draw, less overclocking headroom, etc) normally found in AMD CPUs the last couple of years.

I want to see AMD succed well with this.  They have been hurting the last few years and we really need them to push Intel and keep prices low.  If AMD dies, VIA sure won't be challenging Intel.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,648
Points 104,085
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Nov 16 2010 10:18 AM

agreed

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Tue, Nov 16 2010 10:21 AM

I agree with everything said so far on this product for sure. i find it interesting as AMD seems to be focusing on a more general usage area which I find ti be very smart. Across the board except for productivity platforms they beat themselves as well as Intel. The intelligent thing here is where we seem to be at in computers right now. The computer is becoming more and more of a do everything tool. This is especially true in the smaller lower power device's and of course the system in a box (IE: monitor/computer/touch screen in one). When they become more of a general device which can be used in multiple platforms like this the lowest price wins. AMD seems to have that in spades with this specific implementation.

As we all know us hardware junkies are one of the lowest in number in the market as users. This makes general consumers the highest along with general business usage. One thing I see here specifically is INTEL has almost no choice except for on total enthusiast part to lower there price point. That is on everything besides enthusiast parts. The great thing here is as a number of units sold the enthusiast products are pretty much also items with low impact on a whole business picture, except of course the performance crown.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
nunosilva replied on Tue, Nov 16 2010 7:20 PM

Nice "pre" review. Congrats.

However you should have included in the review performance results from a regular 1.6GHz atom. Without Nvidia graphics. Like the ones most people have? :-)

Regards,

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Tue, Nov 16 2010 8:52 PM

I love amd chips. Great performance and at a low price for those who dont need some 1000$ cpu. Going to need a new laptop soon and it would be cool to get one of those chips with it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,648
Points 104,085
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Nov 16 2010 9:14 PM

I like to support AMD because of their ability to throttle Intel's prices down a little. They work great, and one can afford better peripherals when you buy CPU's that cost less.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
shinigami replied on Wed, Nov 17 2010 2:53 PM

do bobcat cores have that trippy dual integer pipeline thingy (HyperThreading on steroids) going on?  where it's hard to tell what they mean by "core"?  

BTW, what does intel call a dual core with HT? 

answer: "a dual core with HT", but some people (who are confused or are intending to confuse) have been known to call it a quadcore because it can do four threads.... 

and AMD is going to blur that distinction even more....  so i apologize for not knowing the answer to my original question 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,945

No Bobcat does not have those tripply dual integer pipeline thingy.  You won't see that until Bulldozer cores show up.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 55
nemanja23 replied on Tue, Nov 30 2010 11:31 PM

amd has challenge intel and do a better job performance wise!!!! they are trying to improve but it always seems that they want to be in second spot!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 75
karmafire replied on Sun, Dec 12 2010 7:57 PM

I sometimes feel like Intel is holding back graphics-wise? Just makes no sense with all that dough they've got stashed that AMD only dreams of. It's no research fund limitation. Confused

If they should ever fuse with nVidia like AMD with ATi... well, bummer for AMD.

Phenom x4 965 BE/ M4A89TD Pro/ 4GB RIPJAWS 1600/ XFX 5770/ Corsair 550VX/ WD Caviar Black 640GB

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 80
FTian replied on Mon, Jun 4 2012 10:06 PM

AMD wins with 1.5 - 2.8 ghz E350 processors with 15 - 35 watts, with 80 radeon cores (230 - 450mhz) ; which beats the INTEL's Atom, Celeron, and the pentium (released until 2006 editions)...

AMD is popular to provide the majority of people with a technology gadget. In my opinion that is a successful enterpreneurship - to market and sell processors, and survive even through they are pitted against an INTEL conglomerate. AMD wins.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
m4f1050 replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 12:43 PM

Can you guys please post benchmark comparisons between Win 7 64bit and Win 8 64bit on the e350?

Thanks!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,648
Points 104,085
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 12:53 PM

This was originally posted on November 16, 2010.

Win-8 was only a ~Metro~ colorful dream of Microsoft's at that time.

I wouldn't expect to see your request happen, though it is not in my control.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS