Nintendo Tries to Trademark "It's On Like Donkey Kong" Phrase

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,388
Points 1,192,390
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Nov 11 2010 11:48 AM
File this one under "Oh yes they did!," because Nintendo has gone and tried to trademark the popular phrase "It's on like Donkey Kong." The request was filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office recently, and who knows if it will be granted or not. However, this isn't the first time Nintendo has tried to trademark a phrase associated with its game characters.

Nintendo also tried to trademark "Gotta Catch 'Em All," which as you know is tied into the company's Pokemon cash cow. But what you might not be aware of is that Nintendo didn't create the phrase "It's on like Donkey Kong," which GameStop says was popularized by rapper Ice Cube when he used it in his 1992 track "Now I Gotta Wet'Cha." Now a part of pop culture, the phrase has been used in everything from American Wedding (Stiffler said it) to a sports commercials with the Williams sisters (tennis) and Manning brothers (football).

So what do you think -- should Nintendo be able to trademark a phrase it didn't create, or does the videogame maker have every right to do so since it involves Donkey Kong?
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Thu, Nov 11 2010 12:06 PM

They probably plan on using the phrase in some promotional materials, and their over-zealous lawyers are blindly trademarking every catch-phrase in those materials.

It should be denied, as it wasn't coined by Nintendo and no one would use that phrase to try to misrepresent their product as a Nintendo product.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Agreed, I am supprised they are just not suing everyone who uses the phrase "Donkey Kong"

Like the ones who make those shirts:P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Nov 11 2010 10:32 PM

I don't know. It's a pretty popular phrase but I don't think it's right for Nintendo to trademark it.

One thing's for sure, if this passes through. Ice Cube will be paying Nintendo tons of money for using a trademarked phrase in one of his songs.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105
"I don't know. It's a pretty popular phrase but I don't think it's right for Nintendo to trademark it."

What?  I know Kong was associated with King Kong since the thirties.

Donkey has been a popular phrase for a long time, and the Donkey (or Jacka$$) is commonly associated with the DNC? :P

But as someone who actually remembers 1981, I don't remember hearing the two put together to for "Donkey Kong" until the game came out. The two put together refers to the game and is their trademark.

Just like you cant tm Star or the word Wars, but you put them together and you have an empire!

And yes Ice cube should have to pay off since that is basically ripping other peoples creativity off! I hope it does then it would put all rappers out of business!  Sampling is not being a lyrical genius! Making fun of a self proclaimed lyrical genius for being a gay fish is!
Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,917
Points 24,670
digitaldd replied on Fri, Nov 12 2010 9:55 AM

It should get denied but In other news Apple has just trademarked the wheel, the button, the touchpad and the mouse. LoL!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Nov 12 2010 10:17 AM

animatortom:
And yes Ice cube should have to pay off since that is basically ripping other peoples creativity off!

He said that phrase in 1992, when the LA Riots were happening, when "The Predator" (the album, not the movie) was released. Who knows who created it first but Ice Cube was the first to popularize it. And how is "It's on like Donkey Kong" ripping off creativity? If there's this clause that prohibits me from using Nintendo names in my phrases, let me know.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS