Firefox 4 Beta 7 Now Available for Download

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,697
Points 1,157,145
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Nov 11 2010 11:30 AM
Buckle up folks, Mozilla promises its latest Firefox 4 Beta will knock your socks off with much improved JavaScript performance and blazing fast graphics rendering. In regards to the former, Mozilla added the JagerMonkey just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler to Firefox 4 Beta 7, which along with the existing TraceMonkey JIT and SpiderMonkey's interpreter, will result in noticeable speed improvements when using rich Web apps.

So long as you're running Windows or Mac OS X, you'll find that WebGL is enabled by default (you'll also need supported hardware, which doesn't include Intel graphics, at least not yet). Hardware acceleration is one of the next big things in browser development, with the Firefox 4 Beta tapping into Microsoft's DirectX technology.

There's really a laundry list of improvements in general with the Firefox 4 beta, including improved HTML5 forms, support for OpenType font formats, better tab management, and a whole bunch more. Intrigued? If so, give the latest beta release a whirl right here.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Thu, Nov 11 2010 12:47 PM

Some additional info:

To enable WebGL on Linux:  type about:config into the address bar, search for "webgl", and double-click "webgl.enabled_for_all_sites" to set it to true. 

Firefox only uses Direct2D to accelerate web content on Windows Vista/7.  Sorry XP users!  On Linux and Mac, it uses XRender and Quartz (respectively) for this function.  For compositing on Linux and Mac, OpenGL is used to accelerate compositing instead of the MS proprietary Direct3D.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,563
Points 103,070
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Nov 11 2010 4:07 PM

tried an earlier version of Beta 4 and it sucked. I uninstalled it and went back to FF 3

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 675

Try this beta. Just like you I was very disappointed with the earlier beta's, but now I see it all coming together. The browser is much faster and supports all the big add-ons. I can actually use this beta as my primary browser.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 194
Points 1,430
Xylem replied on Fri, Nov 12 2010 4:54 AM

Yes, I think its getting real close to the finish!! This is pretty stable and lots of cribs from the Beta6 are ironed out. Only time will tell whether this beta is any good!!!

Travel Rig |Acer Aspire One - ZG5 Mods so far |Toshiba MK4009GAL 40GB.4 - port USB HUB with BT, Touchscreen & GPS. 1GB RAM upgrade. | 

Main Rig |Core 2 Quad Q6600(3.2GHz), 2x2GB OCZ Reaper 800 MHz RAM, 19" AOC 913FW, 2 x 500GB WD HDD & 2 x 1TB WD Green, nVIDIA 8600GT 1GB

Suzuki Swift GTi | 2008 Version | Lots of mods in pipeline.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,563
Points 103,070
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Nov 12 2010 8:52 PM

MrBrownSound:
Try this beta

Maybe I will.

MrBrownSound:
I can actually use this beta as my primary browser

That's saying a lot. The last one I had was Beta-4 and it was maddening.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

realneil:

MrBrownSound:
I can actually use this beta as my primary browser

That's saying a lot. The last one I had was Beta-4 and it was maddening.

It has FINALLY fixed the weird flash bug were scrolling over flash applets messes up everything around them.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS