AMD's Low Power Fusion Zacate APU Hands-On

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,701
Points 1,207,920
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Nov 9 2010 12:29 AM
Fusion has been a long time coming for AMD but it looks as if they may well have chosen the perfect entry point to release their first generation APU from the starting block.  The market is currently in what seems like a complete frenzy for anything to do with ultra-portable computing, from ultra thin and light notebooks, to netbooks and tablet PCs.  Consumers can't seem to get enough of the thin and sexy stuff and with AMD's first Fusion release, they've certainly chosen the right product segment to attack with a new low power processor.  

Back in the September time frame, we gave you a quick look at AMD's upcoming processor codenamed Zacate.  Targeted at light mobile platforms, Zacate is a dual core processor with an on board DX11 capable graphics core and from the early look we got back then, it was shaping up to make a splash.  

More recently, AMD invited us down to their Austin Texas facility to spend some quality hands-on time with Zacate.  Though we can't quite share performance details with you yet (still under NDA lock and key), we can give you a bit more detail and a first hand look at Zacate, its even lower-power sibling "Ontario" and the hyper-mobile platform that accommodates these new AMD CPUs that goes by the codename "Brazos.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,950
MembershipAdministrator

Like to know how these things will be priced. The chance that NetBooks can use them and sell for even less than they do now is compelling.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 566
Points 5,145

Not just Netbooks neil. I want to see what effect Zacate will have on the TNL notebook and the nettop markets. I don't think any Atom powered nettop will be able to compete with a Zacate powered nettop. In fact, I think a Zacate powered nettop will provide all the performance that 99% of home and office workers need.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Wed, Dec 1 2010 8:47 AM

Sure agree that a  Zacate powered netop is def going to fill the bill for most users.

.It is going to be interesting to see how  successful AMD's marketing is going to be. This really looks like like a great op for them to grab a noticeable mainstream market because these a features that many are going to notice on first sight at a price point [very-likely] as well.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
JCampo replied on Mon, May 30 2011 12:26 AM

is there a major difference between a Pentium T4500 and the AMD E-350?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
NLake replied on Sun, Jun 19 2011 4:13 AM

i dont know about the difference but i bought a laptop with the E-350 and i use cpu id on it and it says its really a dual core 2 ghz. And with four gigs of ram running with the video card i can play mercs 2 on high and fallout 3 with anti aliasing on 4x i know thats not much but for a laptop that was only 350 plus shipping was a great deal. The laptop is an acer aspire 5253 bz602. I know you think cheap when i say acer, but my friend bought a 500 sony vaio and it cant even play those games. It streams hd netflix perfectly and i can multitask pretty good without lag. But if you get this laptop get another 2gig stick o ram because it only comes with two. Another point is it doesnt get hot! It stays cool.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS