OCZ RevoDrive X2 Review: Killer PCIe SSD Performance, Tested and Burned In

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,935
Points 1,118,650
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Nov 8 2010 11:12 AM
When we looked at the first gen RevoDrive back in August, the thin slab of Flash NAND memory and dual SandForce SSD controllers impressed us and served up performance well ahead of traditional SATA SSDs with a price premium in the 30% range (about $3.07 per GB) versus SATA SSDs.  With the RevoDrive X2, OCZ is double-stacking their product now with four total SandForce 1200 series SSD controllers and double the number of NAND Flash for, you guessed it, up to twice the performance and capacity.  The good news is pricing is actually still going the way of the consumer too.  Journey on, you're going to have fun with this one...

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Nov 8 2010 12:08 PM

It's too bad I could only vote 'thumbs-up' once for this thing.

What a truly awesome upgrade for a PC. I wish that I could afford it.

As I've mentioned before,....what a nice addition to a giveaway prize this would make!

What a prize it would make all by itself in one of your HH contests. (probably the only way I could ever actually own one of them)

Maybe we'll see a gradual fall in the prices of these things and I'll get one a week before I die, so then I could die happy! Stick out tongue

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 3,015

i agree i would almost trade my wife for one shoot through in a water cooled 480 and we ve got a deal

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 50

When it will actually BOOT from more than SIX Motherboards on the market we can talk...  From OCZ site

Note: Before installing the RevoDrive it is important to check the settings/capabilities on your motherboard. If you plan on using the RevoDrive as a boot drive please check that your motherboard supports boot over PCI-E. Please check with your motherboard manufacturer for the latest platform information and BIOS updates. If you have any installation or compatibility questions about the RevoDrive, please visit our forums or call OCZ Customer Service for recommendations.

While the RevoDrive will simply plug and play for the vast majority of platforms for these particular motherboards OCZ recommends the following:
-Asus Crosshair IV – Please check with motherboard manufacturer for BIOS update to enable boot over PCIe.
-Biostar T-Power I45: RevoDrive is only detected in Slot 1 AND only if a PCIe GPU is used. 
-DFI DK-X58-T3EH6: Not detected in PCIe Slot 2 (x4 slot).
-EVGA X758 SLI – Please check with motherboard manufacturer for BIOS update to enable Boot over PCIe.
-Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7 Not detected in slots 1,3,4 (it is detected in 2,5,6)
-XFX 780i SLI – Bios must be upgraded to P09 (or later).

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,485
Points 53,995
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Mon, Nov 8 2010 4:59 PM

Well, I can tell you I dropped it into a Gigabyte board on that list for my testing and it had zero problems, as did the RevoDrive first gen card. Not sure why they have that short list up there. I will ask... I think it's pretty misleading though. This is just a standard PCIe X4 card here, nothing fancy or tricky compatibility-wise.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator

BZobisch:
When it will actually BOOT from more than SIX Motherboards on the market we can talk...

It only has to boot from the one that I'M USING, thank you. (If it doesn't,......then I'll deal with it) Big Smile

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

Well, you guys are now featured on NewEgg...

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,485
Points 53,995
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Nov 10 2010 10:50 AM

BZobisch, We just got this in from OCZ on the topic of compatibility....

"We see how the wording could have been confusing, so we have updated the product page to make it more clear:

While the RevoDrive X2 will simply plug and play for the vast majority of platforms, the following issues may arise when installing on these particular motherboards

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/solid-state-drives/pci-express/revodrive/ocz-revodrive-x2-pci-express-ssd-.html "

So, that was a short list of boards that it might have issues with actually, NOT a list of boards that it will work with. Good news for you I'm sure. :) Good catch though and I was happy to see OCZ respond so quickly.

Editor In Chief

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,485
Points 53,995
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Nov 10 2010 10:50 AM

You like that Mental? Heh... let's see what sort of traffic it brings.

Editor In Chief

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Nov 10 2010 1:46 PM

Dave_HH:
let's see what sort of traffic it brings

Newegg HAS been known to get a hit or two during the day,................

(Mark Twain)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

Of course I like it!  More power to HH.

"Newegg HAS been known to get a hit or two during the day,................"

He was meaning here.................

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Nov 19 2010 6:53 PM

mentaldisorder:
He was meaning here.................

Yeah, I knew that.

But if Newegg gets the hits on that page, it translates into HH getting some exposure,....................That's what I meant.

(Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS