Mid-Range NVIDIA GPU Battle: GTX 460 vs. GTX 470

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,861
Points 1,171,840
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Nov 2 2010 1:00 PM

Mid-Range NVIDIA GPU Battle: GTX 460 vs. GTX 470Today at HotHardware, we're looking at a trio of mid-range video cards designed to give enthusiasts the best bang for their buck. These factory overclocked GeForce GTX 400-series graphics cards are from Gigabyte, MSI, and Zotac. Each one has taken the original reference design from NVIDIA, and gone a step further. In addition to higher GPU speeds set by the manufacturer, they provide unique features such as improved cooling solutions, customized PCB layouts, and higher memory capacity. Read on to find out how well they perform, and if one of them has what it takes to be your next upgrade...

Mid-Range NVIDIA GPU Battle: GTX 460 vs. GTX 470

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Nov 2 2010 1:22 PM

I'm split. Right now I'm interested in dropping money in a system that'll be future-proof. So I don't have to spend money to buy the latest graphics card or something for about 4-8 years.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator

First, let me say thanks HH, for another great review. Your work led me to change my mind as to what I'll be buying soon. I appreciate it too.

TaylorKarras:
I'm split. Right now I'm interested in dropping money in a system that'll be future-proof. So I don't have to spend money to buy the latest graphics card or something for about 4-8 years.

The future seems to changing faster and faster these days. Technology that is 4-8 years old usually has hair growing on it at that age. Look at the rate of advances just in the last 2 years and what do you see? It's night and day out there. I think that "Future Proof" is getting harder to do all of the time.

I've been looking at the 6870's over the past week and almost decided on them too. But the mighty little GTX460 seems to take them down too often. It's overclocking capabilities seem to be very good too. Then, there is Cuda and Phys-X to consider, and that's only gonna be enabled on the NVIDIA offerings.

So I'll buy a pair of  the MSI 1GB GTX460's and put them into an SLI configuration and let the future take care of itself. It should work out fine for me, but I'll expect it to be replaced in around two years.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 205
AlanH replied on Tue, Nov 2 2010 1:54 PM

Go with one of the absolute highest end cards like the Asus ARES then, that's what I would do instead of looking at one of these mid-range cards. But personally, I would also want something that would support CUDA if/when it becomes a bigger player.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Nov 3 2010 3:59 AM

AlanH:

Go with one of the absolute highest end cards like the Asus ARES then, that's what I would do instead of looking at one of these mid-range cards. But personally, I would also want something that would support CUDA if/when it becomes a bigger player.

I was considering that but then came the rumors about the Radeon HD 6990 and the GeForce GTX 580. If these cards are as faster as they say they are (the Radeon's in tessellation performance especially.) then I'll just buy one of those, hook them up in SLI and then I'll be future proof, the downside being that I have to get a loan to be future-proof.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 524
Points 4,830

The GTX 580 isn't a new generation.  It is a tweaked GTX 480 with all cores (512) active.  I wouldn't expect anything super wonderous from it, but you never know.

The HD6970 is what I'm really interested in.  I much rather single card solutions over SLI/Crossfire or dual cards.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965

MSI has really impressed me with their products. I've bought their mobo's for a couple years in my own builds and others, mostly based on price/options. The quality surprised me. I haven't had any complications really in over 5 years with my mobo, or any other build's I've done. 

I haven't gotten around to play or use one of their graphics cards though, but I am glad they are appearing consistent across multiple products. 

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Nov 3 2010 10:40 PM

InfinityzeN1:
It is a tweaked GTX 480 with all cores (512) active

If they're having heating problems with the 480's already, then what's a supercharged one gonna do? I'd never be one to buy this right after it's released. I'd wait to see what it does for (or to) it's owners first.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Nov 4 2010 7:10 AM

realneil:
If they're having heating problems with the 480's already, then what's a supercharged one gonna do? I'd never be one to buy this right after it's released. I'd wait to see what it does for (or to) it's owners first.

Don't forget about the ridiculous power consumption. I swear if I had 2 of these babies in there my power bill would be up the roof.

I'm hoping the GTX580 will have lower power consumption then the GTX480, with a TPD of 244W I'm hoping it'll come through.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator

Both of my planned MSI 1GB GTX460's together in SLI use less power than 1 GTX480 does, and the combination gets better benchmark reviews too. (they're less money as well)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 524
Points 4,830

Well it is a respin on the core (the 110) so you never know.  However, there is no die shrink involved.  Of course, they did do a good job with the 460 respin.  Taking that into account, I still see it as hot and power hungry.  Were it relates to the 480 though will come down to how good their respin is.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Wed, Dec 8 2010 12:03 AM

I can also attest to using MSI boards in my own and quite a few other builds

and have not have any issues regarding reliability and stability.on builds several old.

Found that pretty hard to beat with for the performance /price ratio as well.

Really nice unbiased review  so I would go with MSI on this one simply because of the performance /price , twin cooled and lower power requirements.

The review surprised me as to how much hotter the Gigabyte card ran overall = power draw. hence the good review......thanks

So would def recommend and install in a clients build ..MSI Hawk GTX 460 .. clock it  set it and forget it .done !  great performance & cool

On the other hand for myself  I  might go with the Gigabyte 470 card for the  higher clocks since  I may change the clock profiles occasionally [single card only]

But in reality  at checkout I would go with the MSI Hawk GTX 460.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator

rrplay:
But in reality  at checkout I would go with the MSI Hawk GTX 460.

They just released the GTX570's yesterday at the $350.00 price point and they've shown in reviews that they are quite nice for the performance that you get.

My original plans for two GTX460's in SLI morphed to one GTX580 last week, and now are looking towards a pair of the 570's in SLI.

(long as I can get medium settings in WOW)

(Oh, and I reserve the right to change my mind ten more times before I actually BUY my parts)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Wed, Dec 8 2010 9:38 AM

This is what I am starting to really like about HH 

in the GTX 460 series I would purchase the MSI and at this point after reading the reviews on the GTX 570's this morning I likely would not even contend with the Gigabyte 470 as a single card anymore

I would then opt  to purchase a GTX 570  [ in less then 24 hours it's possible to change one's mind and preference]

thanks

realneil:

(Oh, and I reserve the right to change my mind ten more times before I actually BUY my parts)

back at ya !

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS