It's So Hard to Say Goodbye (to Windows XP)

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,190
Points 1,186,155
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Oct 19 2010 11:45 AM
Windows XP provided us with some great memories, didn't it? Perhaps more importantly, it helped us through the Vista era, which really wasn't as bad as some make it out to be, but did get off to a rocky start, regardless of whether you want to blame Microsoft or those who write drivers for hardware. Wonky network performance, slow file transfers, overbearing UAC annoyances, and incompatibilities all took a toll on Vista's reputation, and that whole ugly "Vista Capable" lawsuit didn't exactly help the OS's image.

But we're on Windows 7 now, arguably Microsoft's finest hour in OS creation. It's been a year since Windows 7 came out, and with support for XP (and Office 2003) set to end in April 2014, it's high time XP users man-up and leave the borderline legacy OS behind, at least if you work in the IT industry.

"You may find yourself in a situation where these migrations become the dominant projects in your organizations over the next few months," said David Cappuccio, an analyst with Gartner. "It's just a fact of life that we can only milk a cow for so long."

Cappuccio isn't the only one who recognizes the need to move on.

"Over the summer, we just had a round of 'firefighting' where we had a bunch of Windows XP SP2 machines that had to get upgraded to Service Pack 3 because of end-of-life support," said Matt Holmes, systems manager for Johnson County Community College in Overland Park, Kansas. "I think it kind of snuck up on the desktop support folks."

Are you still rocking Windows XP on one or more of you machines? What OSes do you run at work or home?
  • | Post Points: 215
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Tue, Oct 19 2010 1:02 PM

rofl; I have been on every Beta for every commercial edition of Windows since Win98, I have also tested and used most corporate versions (IE NT3.5 up I think it was until current although I don't have much exp on 2008 server Vr.2 plus). So letting go of windows versions for me generally comes before it is ever released,

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 40
GEndrulat replied on Tue, Oct 19 2010 1:06 PM

Windows XP --> skipping vista --> GNU/Linux

These steps I've gone through, as well as all of my friends and family.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

My school went from Windows XP --> Windows 7. Completely skipped Windows Vista.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 210
Marc B replied on Tue, Oct 19 2010 2:26 PM

My old DV editing/ DAW PC is STILL running XP pro. Windows 7 is awesome, but I've got old hardware on that PC that I use daily that has questionable driver support under W7, particularly an old ATI AIW x800 XT card with the most finicky driver installation procedure possible. I'll keep this under XP until I retire it.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Points 1,365
Schmich replied on Tue, Oct 19 2010 4:50 PM

If one has old hardware with an install that does not cause problems, there's no point going away from XP...if anything might want to go Linux depending on the person. New hardware? Go Windows 7 for sure (64bit, we should also say goodbye to 32bit asap).

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Tue, Oct 19 2010 5:21 PM

Have no doubt: The original Gartner article was a sales pitch for MS. MS is extremely displeased with the number of people that have decided Vista and Win7 aren't worth the upgrade costs.

MS is doing a great job of comparing VistaSE Win7 sales to Vista sales... but when you compare how poor Vista sold compared to XP (taking into account the relative number of PCs), it's not a rosy picture.

If Microsoft wasn't dropping support for WindowsXP, most businesses wouldn't have any reason at all to upgrade.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
rocheboi replied on Tue, Oct 19 2010 7:37 PM

all i can say is just......w7 rocks.........\m/....it brought me to digital world.....

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Schmich said on Oct 19, 2010

"If one has old hardware with an install that does not cause problems, there's no point going away from XP...if anything might want to go Linux depending on the person. New hardware? Go Windows 7 for sure (64bit, we should also say goodbye to 32bit asap)."

I agree wholeheartedly. Unless you are a big business or university, for example, there is no need for an individual or small business to leave XP just yet. Small businesses and individuals don't have to make such long range plans and longterm budget considerations and/or preparations.

By the time 2014 arrives, we (XP users) mostly likely will have Windows 8 SP-1 as an option skipping Windows 7 altogether. Furthermore, who knows what new OS or improved OS, other than Windows, might be on the market in 3 years.

Using old hardware, I've enjoyed XP Pro and don't see the need yet to change. I tried Kubuntu 10.04 on my old computer, but it requires more memory than XP does. So I'll wait until this computer dies before I rush out to buy the latest and the greatest....whatever that may be. I know that unless this computer "dies", I have three years before I need to "panic".

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255

haha just upgraded my copy of xp to Win 7 pro a month ago. XP was awesome, though

i7 950 - ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - ASUS GTX 570 - AZZA Hurricane - 6 GB Corsair 1600 - Corsair AX750 - WD 1tb black  Cool Thank You HH!!!!!!Cool

AMD 1090T - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - XFX HD5850 x2 - CM Storm Scout - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Corsair HX850 - Sammy spinpoint f3 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Tue, Oct 19 2010 10:09 PM

I can see that as a most likely smart thing to do at least at release, and following SP1, after SP2 Vista finally was stable as well as good as far as Windows versions go. Windows 7 is just SP3 for Vista inclusive with a few added features/Functionality. I never liked Vista from beta release, and it never worked seamlessly until then either.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Tue, Oct 19 2010 10:17 PM

Oh and as far as it goes My Desktop with Win7 Ultimate 64 (Thanks to Cyberpower and Hothardware) sitting next to mine is Sarah's which still runs my old XP PRO. That is even though I have two Gold disk's from M$ with 32 and 64 bit versions of Vista PRO (Which they sent me when it went to retail). Neither one of us obviously likes Vista, but I do have Win 7 Pro on the laptop (which I got through the student upgrade program). I personally would use nothing but Win7 Pro or above unless it was Linux (Which I do also have installed on this computer).

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 3,015

I still running on Winndows XP Professional Service Pack 3 on my PC and Laptop. I'm glad that I skipped Windows Vista. I'm willing go next OS Windows 7 go with new custom build PC.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

While you are right 3vi1 I still hate XP with every fabric of my being. It is a horid OS and over 10 years old. Why anyone is happy using it is beyond me. Vista on the other hand was a pretty good OS. I never understood the hate. I did notice that most people that hated it so much never used it on a daily basis. I'm aloud to hate XP because I used it for years. Vista is not bad and I recommend to most people with Vista that they don't waste the money on 7 because it's not that different.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 654
Points 5,945
mhenriday replied on Wed, Oct 20 2010 3:02 AM

Perhaps it's not out of place to point out that there do exist alternatives to Windows OS, no matter whether these latter are called XP, Vista, or Windows 7 ? I've used all of the above, and must confess that the latest version of Ubuntu, 10.10 does a far better job of meeting my needs than any of them....

Henri

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

mhenriday:

Perhaps it's not out of place to point out that there do exist alternatives to Windows OS, no matter whether these latter are called XP, Vista, or Windows 7 ? I've used all of the above, and must confess that the latest version of Ubuntu, 10.10 does a far better job of meeting my needs than any of them....

Henri

Oh no doubt. I use Linux all the time. It is the only OS on my laptop, but for gaming it is just easier to use Windows. Sure I can get most games to work, and I do run my source games in Ubuntu on my desktop all the time, but I don't think anyone here is going to say that Linux is as good in that area. So at least till Steam comes to Linux I am kinda stuck with Windows if I wanna do much gaming.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Funny, A guy named Cappuccio knows about milking a cow?

I have all three at home. never had a problem with Vista, had to roll back a few updates. Other than that pretty smooth. The main difference I see with 7 is in the playback of HD content. Since I turn off all that Aerocrap it still looks like Vista, so my desktop doesnt look like a county fair at night:P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 161
Points 1,390
detnight replied on Wed, Oct 20 2010 4:34 AM

I still have XP on 3 laptops ,Vista 64 on my wifes computer and Windows 7 64bit on my game machine. The only one I have to mess with to keep everything working is ......yes the Vista machine. It does not like to talk the other computers on my network.  XP was great for the gaming world and Win 7 is up and kickin.

Asus M4A79T deluxe,AMD Athlon II X4 620,PNY GTX285 1gb,Patriot Viper DDR3 1333 8gb,Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro,Diamond ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Comb,Plextor DVD-CD burner,Patriot PS-100 SSD 32gb ,WD 500gb 32mg,Antec Twelve Hundred Full Tower,Antec True Power Quattro 1000watts,Toshiba 40in 1080p for a monitor

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,913
Points 24,635
digitaldd replied on Wed, Oct 20 2010 9:11 AM

3vi1:

If Microsoft wasn't dropping support for WindowsXP, most businesses wouldn't have any reason at all to upgrade.

They bought themselves some time by continuing to support XP SP3. Funny thing is I think the real problem is 64 bit in the enterprise, all these old proprietary internal applications that aren't 64bit compatible and won't run in a VM for some reason. Then you have to find someone who can write a 64 bit version of the app which is usually impossible since the original app was written iby someone who documented nothing and was probably canned right after they wrote the damn thing.

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 130

YAY BOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! someone finally agrees with me that vista wasn't that bad,,,,

I really liked upgrading from XP and i did find overall a better experience with vista and it did do a few things xp didn't,, and ya, i don't recommend to people with vista to run out and spend $$ on 7 as to the end user, there really isn't that much difference, i ran Vista early on with a new computer, so i didnt have the hardware incompatibilities that came from upgrading an old computer to a new OS requiring new drivers,,, i feel the only reason 7 has a better reputation as all the driver problems were worked out on vista and most vista drivers work on 7---i have been using 7 ultimate since it was released,,,,i would say it is better than vista, but not by enough to spend money on the upgrade

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS