WD Launches Largest Ever 3TB Drive, HH Tested

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,744
Points 1,209,815
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Oct 19 2010 9:27 AM
Today, Western Digital announced the world's highest density hard drive, as they reach the 3TB mark with their newest, 5th generation Caviar Green product. The Caviar Green 3TB serves up a super-sized combination of reduced power consumption, lower operating temperature, and a quieter operation.  Unfortunately, if you're still using Windows XP, don't expect your system to make full use of any 3TB drive (yet). The problem is that older operating systems, in combination with a legacy BIOS and master boot record (MBR) partition table scheme, face a barrier at 2.19TB.  Existing motherboards utilizing BIOS (non-UEFI), GPT ready operating systems like Windows 7 64-bit, and appropriate storage class drivers can address the entire capacity of hard drives larger than 2.19TB. Another issue is that a number of host bus adapter (HBA) and chipset vendors don't offer driver support for these types of drives. To provide a solution for this compatibility issue, Western Digital bundles an HBA with the Caviar Green 3TB drive that allows the operating system to use a known driver to correctly support extra large capacity drives.

Read on to find out how well the 3TB Caviar Green performs and if it deserves to be on your upgrade list.

• | Post Points: 110
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Pretty impressive. Though it would work best with a SSD drive in a desktopto get the best of performance and space. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,767
Points 105,080
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Oct 19 2010 9:41 PM

Good review. It's a giant drive, but a 1TB WD Black seems to be a lot faster as a data drive. Adding two of them (1TB WD Blacks) gives lots of space and in RAID, should be speedier too.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 471
Points 7,075
AjayD replied on Wed, Oct 20 2010 3:46 AM

Though I know it all has to do with maximizing profits, I wish WD would come out with their Black before their Green. I have zero interest in slower Green drives and do not particularly enjoy waiting. My 2Tb and 1.5TB drives are both nearing capacity. Hopefully I won't run out of space before they've finally wrung enough profits out of this Green drive to offer their Black drive to us unworthy peasants.

***** Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. *****

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

"Bad news the fogs getting thicker...... And Leons getting largerGeeked"

Hopefully it will be in the one fiddy range early next year. Maybe by that time I will have used up the 3Tb's I have now Cool

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 55
Orville replied on Wed, Oct 20 2010 5:25 AM

Dave,

Possibly I look at this a little differently than you, but my evaluation of this HDD is in terms of number of streams, noise, heat and Cost/BD. A 500 BD server would need five of these dudes in Raid 5. I am willing to pay $2/BD to store'em and serve'em and let me flush all of my boxes. That's my goal. It means that this 3TB drive needs to come in a little under $150. Come on Seagate. Let's have some stiff competition.

Orville

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

SadMan I feel like my 1TB drive should still be new.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,767
Points 105,080
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Oct 21 2010 8:12 AM

bob_on_the_cob:
I feel like my 1TB drive should still be new.

It Is,.............

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Oct 25 2010 6:01 PM

bob_on_the_cob:
SadMan I feel like my 1TB drive should still be new.

I'm on the same boat as you, my hard drive is starting to feel like a dinosaur right about now.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
Abeiis replied on Mon, Nov 22 2010 6:08 PM

Great reporting - I wonder if the same benchmark outcome holds true when the drive is in a RAID-5 configuration. To me, this drive is meant to be in a RAID5 Array; it will save energy and will render better performance than when used in a standalone configuration... what do you think?

I also would like to know (I may have missed it) where it is sold for $239?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,767
Points 105,080
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Nov 22 2010 7:46 PM

Abeiis:
To me, this drive is meant to be in a RAID5 Array;

WD doesn't like for us to put some of it's drives into RAID arrays. Many of the newer low cost drives that they sell 'all of a sudden' don't work in RAID.

If you do want a WD drive to use in a RAID array, you can spend quite a lot more for it.

Examples: 1.5TB WD Non RAID Enabled Drive costs $119.00 at NewEgg

But one that does RAID is: 1.5TB WD RAID Enabled Drive costs $239.00 at NewEgg

Same capacity, and same 64MB cache on the drive, but you pay a RAID tax to WD,......and this just started about 8 months ago. I found out the hard way with the purchase of four 2TB WD drives for a NAS box. Had to trade them back to NewEgg for Seagate drives that worked fine for my purposes.

So, Seagate is now my drive of choice for RAID setups.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS