Cyberpower rig

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255
lifeskills Posted: Mon, Oct 18 2010 11:21 PM

The wait is over.  Just got this in the mail today, and I'm pretty excited about that!  The Hurricane is a lot longer than I thought, its very roomy inside.  Shes folding her first WU nowCool

i7 950 - ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - ASUS GTX 570 - AZZA Hurricane - 6 GB Corsair 1600 - Corsair AX750 - WD 1tb black  Cool Thank You HH!!!!!!Cool

AMD 1090T - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - XFX HD5850 x2 - CM Storm Scout - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Corsair HX850 - Sammy spinpoint f3 

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,414
Points 46,560
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Mon, Oct 18 2010 11:44 PM

That's a beautiful rig, Lifeskills!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Yeah. Good looking rig. Surprised to see the dual radiator in there. Nice addition. How are your temps?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,436
Points 102,165
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Oct 19 2010 7:42 AM

Lordy! That thing has 4 Hot-Swap drive bays in it? And the Dual 120MM sized radiator is a great touch too!

It IS big,......and it's a great looking PC too!

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Beauty Eh!

Welcome to the clubGeeked

Now all you have to do is update your signatureCool

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255

thanks guys.

@bob, load temps are right around 60 - 65, while idling around 40.  This seems high, but then again I'm not familiar with Intel chips.  

Anyone know if I could decrease my temps by putting those 120mm fans below the radiator?  right now its rad > 2x 120mm fans > 2x 230mm fans.

Anyways, going to try to cool it down as much as I can, because from what I've read so far, this board overclocks like a champYes

i7 950 - ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - ASUS GTX 570 - AZZA Hurricane - 6 GB Corsair 1600 - Corsair AX750 - WD 1tb black  Cool Thank You HH!!!!!!Cool

AMD 1090T - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - XFX HD5850 x2 - CM Storm Scout - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Corsair HX850 - Sammy spinpoint f3 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,436
Points 102,165
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Oct 19 2010 9:50 PM

lifeskills:
Anyone know if I could decrease my temps by putting those 120mm fans below the radiator?

Mine is a single sized unit. I have room for one 120MM fan, but I put one on both sides of the radiator (in a push/pull configuration) to hasten air flow. I bought two matching Scythe Slip Stream 120 fans to replace the factory originals too.

Also, they come stock pulling air into the case. (mine did anyway) I changed the direction of the air flow to push the hot air out of the case instead of pulling it in.

47-52 is my high temp now. 32-35 is low.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 339
Points 4,450
slugbug replied on Tue, Oct 19 2010 11:51 PM

Not sure why they oriented the rad fans that way. Reversing them so they blow across the rad and exit the warm air out the top of the case should drop the temps a few degrees.Too bad they didn't use a modular power supply.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

You won't get much performance out of just added a fan. If they are two different speeds it may even hurt performance. If you wanna add fans for a push/pull setup replace the top two fans as well with the same fans. Also the denser the fins the more air the fans need to push to perform well. That said those fins don't look all that close together so you shouldn't need super fast fans.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,436
Points 102,165
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Oct 20 2010 7:27 AM

bob_on_the_cob:
If you wanna add fans for a push/pull setup replace the top two fans as well with the same fans

Yes, as I said, I bought two matching Scythe Slip Stream 120 fans to replace the factory original too. So both of the fans move the same amount of air. (a lot) I did this mod because many people with these factory built water cooling units had tried it and achieved better results. They were posting all over about it on hardware tweaker's forums and getting great results too.

Even though I wasn't having any temperature problems with mine, I saw it as a cheap way to tinker and get better results, and it worked. I just can't leave things alone, sigh! (is this a flaw?)

(Mark Twain)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,420

lifeskill that no doubt is a wicked looking setup! From top to bottom you got it all. It really looks huge which I like my cases big cause Im not going to be moving them much anyway but the xtra room is nice. I really like the physical appearance of the outside and heck not only that hot swap baystoo with that nice radiator that was a good win have fun!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

realneil:
I saw it as a cheap way to tinker and get better results, and it worked. I just can't leave things alone, sigh! (is this a flaw?)

If it is I'm screwed.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,436
Points 102,165
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Oct 20 2010 12:20 PM

bob_on_the_cob:
If it is I'm screwed

LOL!

(Mark Twain)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,420

You know I might give some thought into getting one of those case I like the expansion options and the looks a lot and the price itself is good at newegg!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811517010

Ive thought about buying the HAF X which I wouldnt mind owning it also but there is a bit of a price differance. Hmmmm just a thought.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,436
Points 102,165
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Oct 21 2010 10:12 AM

amdcrankitup:
just a thought

If a mid tower will suffice, then look at this one for $74.99. HERE

This was a featured review recently and got good  ratings. CyberPower-PC is using it too.

Newegg's giving away a PSU with it too, but I don't know about it's quality. I use SeaSonic PSU's exclusively now.

(Mark Twain)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

A friend of mine just picked up the HAF. I'll see what he thinks of it after it comes.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255

What I've noticed so far about the hurricane is that the fans are quite loud.  Mainly the exhaust, but the other 120mm fans seem a little weak.  Once I get some new fans for the rad I might replace some of the case fans as well.  So if you are thinking of buying this, take into account the extra money you will spend on fans.  Other than that I think it is an awesome case.

I have a few upgrades in my mind, the first being a power supply.  Does anyone know about Xtream Gear power supplies?  I know 800 is plenty power for my system, just wondering about the reliability of the ExtremeGear.  If I do upgrade the PSU, I will most likely go with one of the new Corsair AX units.  I really like the full modular design, So I can sleeve it up without worrying about warranties and such.

Also, I read this today: http://www.hardocp.com/news/2010/10/21/price_drops_by_nvidia_announced/, so maybe I will plan on SLI in the future.  Tomorrow I have some time, so I think I will Mess around with the radiator position, and maybe reseat the block.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,436
Points 102,165
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Oct 21 2010 3:07 PM

lifeskills:
What I've noticed so far about the hurricane is that the fans are quite loud.  Mainly the exhaust, but the other 120mm fans seem a little weak.

TRY THESE OUT they are quiet and move a lot of air.

lifeskills:
Does anyone know about Xtream Gear power supplies?

My 'Puter had one (the same one too) in it when I won it, and it's worked out fine for me. Stable power and not too loud. I did just get a lower wattage SeaSonic to replace it, but not because there is anything wrong with it. Just trying to tame my power bill a little.

That's good news about the price drops too. Nothing like a little pressure to torque AMD a little pre-launch!

(Mark Twain)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/ is one of the best places around for PSU reviews. One thing I have noticed is that 2 PSUs from the same company. One may be great the other one junk. It all depends on the manufacture of the PSU. Many companies like Corsair, XFX, and others don't actually build the PSUs. They buy them from comanies like FSF.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,414
Points 46,560
ForumsAdministrator

bob_on_the_cob:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/ is one of the best places around for PSU reviews.

That's a great website, Bob, thanks for that!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Super Dave:

bob_on_the_cob:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/ is one of the best places around for PSU reviews.

That's a great website, Bob, thanks for that!

np. I always go and check out a PSU before I buy it. They know there stuff.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255

Thanks for the link, Bob.  Bookmarked the site.  They had some pretty good things to say about the AX850, although if I did upgrade I would probably go 750.  Gonna keep the ExtremeGear for a while though.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,436
Points 102,165
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Oct 22 2010 6:11 PM

lifeskills:
Gonna keep the ExtremeGear for a while

If it works, don't fix it?

(Mark Twain)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,420

bob_on_the_cob:

A friend of mine just picked up the HAF. I'll see what he thinks of it after it comes.

Yeah let me know about you friend HAF is the the HAF X. Im kinda partial to full towers just for the Xtra bays and room mainly.Of course I like my Coolermaster storm too just always liked the options of more bays up front for modding purposes to add more gadgets LOL.My coolermaster itself is pretty loud if all fans are running at full power especially the one on the radiator and the fan on the 4870x2 but I really dont pay it any attention just kinda tune it out.realneil thanks for the suggestion on the case anyway! I dont know what case I intend to get yet it wont be right away anyhow but I do want to build me another AMD rig butIm gng to upgrade this one I got a little especially in re: to another harddrive and even though I got my eye on the WD raptor Im gng to be watching the prices on the SSD.s after the 1st of the year and at least try to get me a 120 to a 26g because I thinking thats where I need to spend my money if I want a Good performance upgrade just need the price to drop a little more. Then I will be calling on you guys to help pick one because I know some of you already have one and you suggestions would be more inline with real world application. Just like a car you can put thousands of dollars in a engine but if you have one weak link or (bottleneck) then your just dragging your feet.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,436
Points 102,165
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Oct 25 2010 10:11 AM

amdcrankitup:
Just like a car you can put thousands of dollars in a engine but if you have one weak link or (bottleneck) then your just dragging your feet

It's like having 650Horsepower and never going anywhere because you keep snapping drive shafts during your 'hole shots'?

The little 60GB SSD I bought really juiced this i5 system up. I end up using it most of the time now. Since it's running at the same clock speed that the i7-870 is, it's faster overall with the SSD inside.

BTW: Newegg is selling a Kingston SSD-128GB for $209 today.  (with Promo code: EMCYTZT203)

(Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 1 (25 items) | RSS