Nvidia faulty notebook GPU settlement

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 216
Points 2,135
SmogHog Posted: Wed, Oct 6 2010 10:49 PM

Looks like those of you who hung onto your faulty Dell/HP/Apple notebooks will finally get a fix and your money back;

If you bought a Dell, HP laptop or Apple MacBook Pro between 2007-2008 with an Nvidia GPU, you are eligible for free repairs as part of a settlement agreement between Nvidia and U.S. District Court in California.

According to a class-action lawsuit, Nvidia was charged with selling defective and faulty graphics processing units (GPUs) and certain communication devices that adversely affected performance for certain laptops -- Apple MacBook Pro 17-inch, 15-inch; Dell and HP laptops primarly sold between 2007 and 2008.

Nvidia denies any wrongdoing on their part but is still choosing to settle the lawsuit. Affected laptops having the faulty Nvidia GPU reportedly exprience distorted video on the laptop's monitor screen and no display (blank screen) even when you turn on the laptop.

Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch and 17-inch (having the faulty Nvidia GPU chip) and bought between May 2007 and September 2008 are eligible for free replacement of their Nvidia graphics chip and free reimbursement of previous repair charges. Dell's Inspiron, Vostro, Latitude, Precision and XPS M laptops are eligible for a free replacement of their Nvidia GPU chip as well. Select laptop models of HP Pavilion dv-series, tx tablet series and Compaq Presario series are also eligible for a free repair of their faulty Nvidia GPU chip. HP laptop owners may even receive a replacement for their affected laptop. All this if you file an approved claim form.

Remember, all laptops eligible for the free Nvidia GPU chip replacement should encounter the distorted video or no display on their laptop screen. You can find more details about the affected laptops -- Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch and 17-inch, Dell and HP laptop -- on Nvidia's website. If your laptop is affected, you have to wait till December 20 when the settlement gets approved. Claim filing will begin after that, if you haven't serviced your faulty laptop (covered under this lawsuit) yet.

http://www.pcworld.in/news/nvidia-lawsuit-dell-hp-macbook-pro-owners-get-free-repairs-37242010

List of covered models on the official settlement website:

http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/index.html

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,486
Points 47,175
ForumsAdministrator

This thing was a huge black-eye for Nvidia. Because of this fiasco, many of the consumers that purchased these defective notebooks will never again purchase from Dell, HP, or Apple. Ripped from the settlement is this:

NVIDIA has also agreed to provide a fund in the amount of $2,000,000 to provide reimbursements if you purchased a version of one

of the notebook computer models identified in Section 7 that contains an NVIDIA GPU or MCP during the dates listed in Section 7

Also ripped from the settlement is this:

Class Counsel will ask the Court for attorneys’ fees and expenses in the amount of $13,000,000. NVIDIA will pay Class Counsel’s

fees and expenses.

So it appears that Nvidia is providing $2M in reimbursements to the consumers, and the lawyers get $13M. You can bet that $2M in consumer disbursements will be eaten-up quickly!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,694
Points 104,420
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Nov 11 2010 8:09 AM

I have one of the HP 'Affected Notebooks' and never had any trouble with it once I took Vista off of it.

It ran good with XP on it, runs great with Win-7 on it, and even runs Linux like a champ. But the OS it was built to run, wouldn't run on it.

I did up my memory to 2GB and put a 7200 RPM HDD into it to jack the performance up a little. It's a nice little 'Puter.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
smdrwktch replied on Mon, Jan 10 2011 2:09 AM

It doesn't really pay to bother with Nvidia. Even if the manufacturer replaces the board, it will break again. I have an HP DV9000 that kicked the bucket. I found a place in Florida called Precision Division (precisiondivision.com). They repaired my motherboard - and then installed a secondary internal fan inside the laptop. This was done to draw cold air in from the bottom and over the video chip. I've been very happy with it, it hasn't had a hiccup since they fixed it.  IMO it was a better solution than screwing around with HP or Nvidia because I know that I won't get anywhere with them anyway.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,917
Points 24,670
digitaldd replied on Mon, Jan 10 2011 10:51 AM

My local recycling center has tons of laptops affected by this suit which people have just trashed. I wish some of these could be repaired under the settlement, instead I could fix them if I wanted to spend some out of pocket funds then sell them. Funny thing is all of them work when connected to an external display or TV. So I've just been doing a fresh install of the OS on the hard drive and giving them away to folks who don't have money for a computer through a charity of course, I get a break on my taxes for contributing some of my time as a charitable contribution.

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,694
Points 104,420
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Jan 10 2011 12:55 PM

digitaldd:
I get a break on my taxes for contributing

I used to donate PC's that people 'traded-in' to me to the local school system. I loaded a simple OS and some elementary learn English, learn Math, learn whatever shareware programs onto them and put them into classrooms for teachers to use for the growing number of California students that had never learned to speak English.

These very basic PC's were instrumental in the start of learning our language for those kids, and kept them from becoming a disruptive element in the classroom.

The school gave me letters thanking me for the donation of the computer system valued at: (insert amount here) and were very grateful to get them. I got rid of PC's that were too old and slow to sell to anyone so it was a win-win situation.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS