HotHardware Video Podcast - October 1, 2010

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,085
Points 1,183,220
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Oct 1 2010 2:47 PM
HotHardware Video Podcast - Sept. 24, 2010We’re back for the latest installment of our weekly video podcast. In this episode, we talk about Zotac’s sleek, new, Blu-Ray equipped ZBox nettop, malware riddled GPUs (not really!), the OCZ IBIS high-performance solid state drive, and RIM’s upcoming Blackberry Playbook tablet. We also take a couple of reader questions, talk about Valve’s upcoming DLC for L4D1 and L4D2, hint at a new contest and more...

" + __flash__argumentsToXML(arguments,0) + "")); }" viddlerSeek="function () { return eval(instance.CallFunction("" + __flash__argumentsToXML(arguments,0) + "")); }" viddlerSwitch="function () { return eval(instance.CallFunction("" + __flash__argumentsToXML(arguments,0) + "")); }" viddlerOpen="function () { return eval(instance.CallFunction("" + __flash__argumentsToXML(arguments,0) + "")); }" viddlerPause="function () { return eval(instance.CallFunction("" + __flash__argumentsToXML(arguments,0) + "")); }" setMovie="function () { return eval(instance.CallFunction("" + __flash__argumentsToXML(arguments,0) + "")); }" startMovie="function () { return eval(instance.CallFunction("" + __flash__argumentsToXML(arguments,0) + "")); }" stopMovie="function () { return eval(instance.CallFunction("" + __flash__argumentsToXML(arguments,0) + "")); }" pauseMovie="function () { return eval(instance.CallFunction("" + __flash__argumentsToXML(arguments,0) + "")); }" playMovie="function () { return eval(instance.CallFunction("" + __flash__argumentsToXML(arguments,0) + "")); }" getCurrentTime="function () { return eval(instance.CallFunction("" + __flash__argumentsToXML(arguments,0) + "")); }" getPlayheadTime="function () { return eval(instance.CallFunction("" + __flash__argumentsToXML(arguments,0) + "")); }">

Show Notes:
00:19 - Zotac Blu-ray HD-ID34 Nettop / HTPC Review
02:53 - New Whitepaper Claims GPUs Threaten Malware Security
05:20 - OCZ IBIS HSDL Solid State Drive Preview
07:24 - RIM Unveils Its PlayBook Tablet
10:44 - Reader Questions: What To Do With An SSD?
12:09 - "The Sacrifice" DLC For L4D1 and L4D2
13:20 - Upcoming HotHardware Game System Sweepstakes?
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Fri, Oct 1 2010 3:10 PM

sick another contest coming.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Woot! Perfect timing. My SSD came in the mail just today. Thanks for answering my questions.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670

Great video, you guys are just so chill and out going with these! lot better then those that make it look so pro like that its hard to stand watching it :).

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Fri, Oct 1 2010 6:37 PM

Very well done, as usual.

Hey -  The page didn't reload 10 minutes into the video!  Thanks for fixing that!

You guys are insane with the contests.  Keep it up!

And, see you in L4D Marco!

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Fri, Oct 1 2010 7:06 PM

How about some free copies of L4D2 as a contest prize, only got to play the demo of number 2.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,875
MembershipAdministrator

Another good Podcast guys. You look like you're having fun and that makes it fun to watch.

What's L4D2?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

very nice Podcast! i am checking now!

looking for new notebook

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, Oct 2 2010 9:59 AM

L4D2 is the game 'Left 4 Dead 2'.

I was surprised when Marco said the content would be for both L4D1 and L4D2. The story's specifically about the first survivors, and in L4D2 you play different people. It will be interesting to see exactly what they're doing with the L4D2 version.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,875
MembershipAdministrator

3vi1:
L4D2 is the game 'Left 4 Dead 2'.

Thanks for the answer,... I was kidding around though.

I have the first one, but not the second one. It's $19.00 at wally-world today and I may go and get it.

Then I could actually use the 'content' they're talking about in both games.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, Oct 2 2010 5:11 PM

I was kidding around too.

L4D2 is that robot from the Star Wars movies.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, Oct 2 2010 5:13 PM

>> They are moving the L4D1 characters to L4D2 so you play as them in the new campaign

Sweet! I wonder if this means that at some point we might see an 8-man team mode? Could be crazy awesome!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

3vi1:
It will be interesting to see exactly what they're doing with the L4D2 version.

They are moving the L4D1 characters to L4D2 so you play as them in the new campaign. Plus the are adding No Mercy to L4D2 as well.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,875
MembershipAdministrator

3vi1:

I was kidding around too.

L4D2 is that robot from the Star Wars movies.

Wasn't he R2D4?

We should ask 3CPO about it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,359
Points 48,655
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Sat, Oct 2 2010 6:11 PM

There are some modded servers that already allow for 8-player teams--you end up with two of each character though, at least as of today.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,875
MembershipAdministrator

Marco C:
you end up with two of each character though

Can you do something to make them not the same?

I want to be Red Headed or something!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

realneil:

Marco C:
you end up with two of each character though

Can you do something to make them not the same?

I want to be Red Headed or something!

You can install client side skins pretty easy, but the other players don't see them.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/games/3456

Loads of skins here. Not promising they are all safe for work. Some people are weird, but the first page is right now.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Sorry to double post, but I just thought I would show what my SSD is up to now that I have everything all set up. I was going to make my own thread, but I am sure people that watched the podcast might care about what I actually did. My set up for now is the SSD set up with a fresh install of Windows 7. I currently have my Western Digital 1TB drive set up in 2 partitions. One for Linux and one for Windows programs.

I sadly don't have the money for setting up a raid or anything like that, but all my important files are synced between my desktop and my laptop from a 50GB dropbox account. So I have the files on both PCs and uploaded to the site. Really nice thing about dropbox is one it runs in Linux and 2 it syncs over lan if you are on the same network.

Only real thing I wanna work on is maybe installing Ubuntu on the SSD, but I only have 9.29GBs free. Even with the home folder on the TB drive I'm not sure that is enough breathing room for both OSes.

Overall though I'm very happy with it. Boots up so quick. The cool thing is the second you see the desktop it is usable. As soon as it pops up I can launch apps and they respond just as quick as if the computer had been sitting here all afternoon.

Last I'll share some benchmarks because well it what we do.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/76/ssdj.png

SSD is on the left and WD 1TB drive is on the right. Also notice the difference in temps. They are sitting right next to each other in my case.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,474
Points 47,040
ForumsAdministrator

Dang, Bob, that SSD is REALLY FAST! Is that the same Black Edition WD 1TB drive that you comparo'd to my slower Green Edition WD 1TB drive a couple of years ago?

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Super Dave:

Dang, Bob, that SSD is REALLY FAST! Is that the same Black Edition WD 1TB drive that you comparo'd to my slower Green Edition WD 1TB drive a couple of years ago?

Yeah same drive.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,875
MembershipAdministrator

bob_on_the_cob:
Boots up so quick. The cool thing is the second you see the desktop it is usable. As soon as it pops up I can launch apps and they respond just as quick as if the computer had been sitting here all afternoon.

I did the same thing about a month an a half ago with an OZC Agility-2 60GB drive. I couldn't believe the boot times either. I noticed the same thing about the instant useability of my programs too. Although this computer is not the one with the faster CPU, (i5-750 compared to i7-870) it's now the faster computer to use.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,875
MembershipAdministrator

So I tried that HD tune Pro program too.

This is what I got.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

That's even quicker than mine. For $60 I'm happy with my performance. I figure it will go down to my netbook when cheaper bigger faster SSDs come down the pipe.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,875
MembershipAdministrator

bob_on_the_cob:
I figure it will go down to my netbook when cheaper bigger faster SSDs come down the pipe.

Same with this one. I can't wait for larger SSD's to become affordable for me. The one thing about retirement is the fact that my cash flow is so much different now.

If I was still working I'd have one of them in every computer in the house by now. I know that these drives will one day be cheap to buy,................(SIGH)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,563
Points 54,725
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Tue, Oct 5 2010 11:43 PM

Nice work B!

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Page 1 of 1 (25 items) | RSS