Antec Debuts LanBoy Air Open-Air Gaming Chassis

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,345
Points 1,191,320
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Sep 29 2010 8:48 AM
The custom gaming PC business is still booming, and people are still looking for ways to get creative and make their own builds unique. Antec has been a long-time case and power supply maker, and the company's newest chassis is definitely one of the more interesting ones that have been introduced in recent years. It's called the LanBoy Air, and it's an open-air chassis that is designed quite differently from most.

The case uses top-to-bottom mesh construction, which provides for tons of airflow. There are also five 120mm fans and space for ten more, and since it's huge, you can fit up to 11 total drives in here. It also holds your drive in suspension in order to reduce vibration, and chassis’ motherboard tray comes complete with a CPU cut-out and the power supply unit (PSU) mount is situated on the bottom of the chassis. In addition, both the motherboard tray and PSU mount slide out for easy installation and can be repositioned for increased customization.

Being such a massive case, it's not the cheapest out there. It's on sale for $219.95, and a video below showcases the highlights.

Antec Releases One-of-a-Kind Open-Air Chassis: The LanBoy Air

Modular chassis gives users the freedom they need to push the limits of creativity and performance

Fremont, CA – September 28, 2010 – Antec, Inc., the global leader in high-performance computer components and accessories for the gaming, PC upgrade and Do-It-Yourself markets, today announced the LanBoy Air: Antec’s state-of-the art, fully-modular chassis designed to provide extensive customizability and flexibility to high-performance PC gamers, modders and workstation users.

The LanBoy Air sports unprecedented top-to-bottom mesh construction for extensive air ventilation and includes  five 120 mm fans (two front-adjustable speed 120 mm blue LED fans and three 120 mm TwoCool™ two-speed blue LED fans) with space to mount up to 15 total fans. The fans are positioned to create positive air pressure, bringing cool air in and around hard drives and graphics cards, and expelling hot air and dust through the chassis’ perforated panels.

The LanBoy Air has an entirely reconfigurable interior with 11 total drive bays (including nine modular bays to accommodate six internal 3.5” drives and three external 5.25” drives.) The 3.5” drives can also take advantage of Antec’s exclusive AirMount™ suspension mounting system, which suspends hard drives in the drive bays, reducing vibration and increasing ease of use. Additionally, the 5.25” and 3.5” drive bays can be easily configured in three horizontal orientations: facing the front, right or left to accommodate users’ desired chassis arrangements. This chassis also comes with two internal bottom-mounted 2.5” SSD drive bays.

The chassis’ motherboard tray comes complete with a CPU cut-out and the power supply unit (PSU) mount is situated on the bottom of the chassis. In addition, both the motherboard tray and PSU mount slide out for easy installation and can be repositioned for increased customization – meeting the exacting demands of end users as well as system builders.

The LanBoy Air has space to fit graphics cards 15” and over and also features two rugged carrying handles for easy transport while at LAN parties, eight expansion slots, three USB ports (including one USB 3.0 port) and a convenient bottom-installed tool box for hardware and screw storage.

“Antec’s Skeleton was universally lauded as the most innovative chassis ever. The LanBoy Air builds on the Skeleton’s open-air frame design, combining it with a familiar form factor and fully modular construction,” said Scott Richards, senior vice president at Antec. “This chassis offers our most avid users the platform they need to push the limits of what they imagined possible in high-performance system design.”

Among its accolades, the LanBoy Air was awarded the prestigious COMPUTEX TAIPEI 2010 Design & Innovation prize for excellence in design quality in the “Components and Parts” category earlier this year.

The LanBoy Air is available now for an estimated price of $219.95 through major retailers, e-tailers and distributors and is backed by Antec’s Quality 3-Year (AQ3) Limited Warranty on parts and labor. 
  • | Post Points: 140
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,917
Points 24,655
digitaldd replied on Wed, Sep 29 2010 9:59 AM

Can someone say Dust Magnet.. ;)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 153
Points 1,705
lonewolf replied on Wed, Sep 29 2010 11:31 AM

Yea I bet it attracts dust also, it cannot be quiet having that many fans. Make a good testbed case though.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 170
Points 3,220

The case looks amazing, but as you said before guys, the dust could be a problem.

Surely you will have to take apart all the pc to vacum the entire case and then put everything back.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255
lifeskills replied on Wed, Sep 29 2010 12:54 PM

The HDD and optical bays are cool. Crazy case

i7 950 - ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - ASUS GTX 570 - AZZA Hurricane - 6 GB Corsair 1600 - Corsair AX750 - WD 1tb black  Cool Thank You HH!!!!!!Cool

AMD 1090T - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - XFX HD5850 x2 - CM Storm Scout - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Corsair HX850 - Sammy spinpoint f3 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Wed, Sep 29 2010 1:13 PM

sick case

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

it would make water cooling a breeze since you could put a rad just about anywhere. also its reminds me of Dewalt power tools...lol 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I'm not a fan of the look. I like the older lanparty better. Best feature ever is the little toolbox. Make I wish all cases had that. I always lose my extra screws by the next time I need them.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Wed, Sep 29 2010 5:27 PM

Hum i don't know about you guys but it does look like a neat case and the design isn't bad at all. But i can see how u guys are concerned about the dust, maybe just add some dust filters and clean them a every month or week...

What is the concept of "positive air pressure" that helps cooling? she said all fans are air intake and make for a positive air pressure keeping hot air and dust out, how does that work? they are all sucking in dust...?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

Thats funny. The first thing that popped in my head when reading it was man that would be a pain to keep clean. Not a fan of the yellow myself but to each his own.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

That is one cool looking case!

It looks like it should have a Weyland-Yutani logo on the front!

I agree, dust magnet! But like I do with my HT equiptment, just take some womens nylons and stretch them over the whole system as a cheap dust filter :P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Wed, Sep 29 2010 10:51 PM

lol animatortom, what a clever idea :D. its cheap and works great! :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Thu, Sep 30 2010 12:25 AM

That's is a great idea animatortom. Plus would'nt people be impressed when you arrive at a lan party with your awesome new lanboy unit, and it's wrapped in women's Nylons.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Well Rapid,

You don't go getting the ones with the lacy patterns on it or lines and you cut the ends off so all you have is the materialStick out tongue

I guess if you left the crotch pad covering the DVD drive then it would be embarrassing.

Yet if you did that...then I cant help youZip it!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

I think you guys are missing something really key here. This would be a great case for a modder. You really are looking at a barebone case and that leaves you with a lot of external customization. Since the case is essentially just a frame, that leaves the end-user with the ability to fabricate his own panels to create something unique. Granted this is not up everyone's alley, I wouldn't mind picking this up if I had the spare time to fabricate panels. Additionally, the features are extremely nice, especially these suspended hd trays, which makes me wonder why no one has ever tried this for mainstream distribution.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Thu, Sep 30 2010 5:07 PM

Just watched a antec show video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9nggtWrFCg

They said it can hold up to 15 fans + a top mounted water cool system (not sure if they mean 15 small fans) and the case will come in red, blue, and yellow.

If you watch the whole video they also show their dark fleet case which looks pretty cool too.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

PCper.com put up a vid too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9nggtWrFCg

Got to say the case looks much better in the bluish/purple color. I actually kinda like it in that color. Think the yellow really turned me off.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS