Kinect Developer Declares PC FPS Gamers A Dying Breed

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,696
Points 1,207,505
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Sep 22 2010 2:09 PM
In a recent interview, Kinect creator Kudo Tsunoda shared his thoughts on Microsoft's new gaming platform and the future of gaming in general. when asked how Kinect would be integrated into future titles he described the rise of FPS shooters for consoles, then drops this bombshell. "Halo did an awesome job of building a first-person shooter exclusively for the console, and now hardly anyone plays first person shooters on the PC anymore. It’s all about the console."

This is precisely the sort of statement that normally causes PC gamers to rally round the flagpole, declare their undying devotion to PC/FPS gaming, and tell stories about how even the newest titles still control like a 500 lb porker in a mud wallow. As fans of PC gaming, we're sympathetic to such arguments, but the unfortunate truth is, Tsunoda has a point. PC game sales are tiny compared to console titles and the old argument that digital downloads represent an unmeasured quantity that puts PC gaming back on the map compared to the XBox 360, PS3, and even Wii has been proven inaccurate.

Up until now, analyst groups have avoided measuring digital downloads as a part of game sales, but NPD has just issued numbers for PC game sales (retail and digital) for the first six months of 2010. According to the group's report, 8.2 million PC games were sold retail from Jan - June 2010, while 11.2 million copies were sold online. Digital downloads really were masking PC game sales that should have been accounted for, but the news still isn't very good—revenue in the first half of the year is down 21 percent, while unit volume fell 14 percent after counting digital downloads.

Just because we don't like them doesn't mean they aren't true.

One major finding from this latest report is that the 'big got bigger' in the first half of 2010, with both Steam and Bigfish capturing a bigger share of full-game PC games digital download sales than they did last year," said Anita Frazier, industry analyst, The NPD Group. "The overall decline of PC games when combining sales via both digital downloads and physical retail sales is impacted by the expansion of social network gaming as well as the continued expansion of free game options."

It's not time to sound the death knell of PC FPS games, but if you check sales numbers for 2010 releases like Battlefield: Bad Company 2 or Aliens vs Predator, the difference is stark. In BF:BC2, the XBox 360 and PS3 outsold the PC version by a ratio of 8:1 and 6:1 respectively. PC gaming may not die, but it's time to admit that the category has lost its position as industry leader. Even graphic engine updates have been delayed; the sources we've spoken with at ATI/NVIDIA and various gaming studios have all admitted that since consoles represent the bulk of sales and are only DX9 capable, the incentive to invest in DX10/DX11 support is very low. 
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665
Inspector replied on Wed, Sep 22 2010 3:33 PM

:(, that's a said thing to hear. i suck playing FPS games on a ps3/x-box controller, that's why i have always sticked to pc for FPS games :(.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Wed, Sep 22 2010 5:46 PM

More People have consoles capable of playing these games than people have Computers capable of playing these games.

I still prefer my shooters to be on the PC.

Game developers would start including cross platforming into their games then that would be awesome and I think it would shift the numbers a bit.

And a game meant to be multi player is a bad example for these kinds of numbers. People are going to buy the game on the system that their friends are gonna get it on. They're not going to buy it on PC if they can't play with any of their friends. If it was a solo FPS. The numbers would change.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

I declare Kinects a dying system:P

Yes, it is better to have the simplicity of a console. But there will always be a place for PC gaming. Because it leads the way for the tech that eventually ends up in the consoles.

Its not like they run around and try to sell us GPU's and MoBo's that are the ones used in PS3's and XBox's:P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Or maybe we the PC gamer don't want to buy your crappy console port of a game *cough* "Modern warfare 2", Not to mention that now you have the gusto to charge us $60 for a game you didn't even make for us.... rant off

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

That is what actually killed alot of smaller game developers. When the 360 and PS3 came out it cost way too much to actually develop for that and still does.

Game companies had to stay with PC games to keep a profit. These console developers sure are greedy bastards! Just like movie producers they feel that the creative talent is the lowest form of life and they are the genius behind all created properties!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

I like how he list two games that royally blew (BF:BC and the new AvP) in the article. Both of those sucked royally. I bought them and sold them each within a week after picking them up. Both painful to play.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Wed, Sep 22 2010 9:43 PM

>> Halo did an awesome job of building a first-person shooter exclusively for the console, and now hardly anyone plays first person shooters on the PC anymore.

ROFL... Someone tell this guy about L4D.

Hey Kudo, how good is Kinect at telling when i'm pulling my trigger finger? Oh... not at all? Hmmm... why the hell do I care what you think of FPS then. :\

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,081
Points 11,700
Joel H replied on Thu, Sep 23 2010 1:43 PM

I did not list "two games that royally blew." I listed two games that conformed to the following:

1) Were released between Jan - June 2010 (and therefore fell within NPD's measurement date.)

2) Had been out for at least several months on all three platforms.

3) For which I had reliable data. I wanted to include Bioshock 2, but couldn't find information on its sales for PC.

4) Were FPS games.

After evaluating all four criteria, AvP and BFBC2 were the two best candidates.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Sep 24 2010 1:24 AM

PC is not a dying breed by any means. There is still stuff you can do on PC's thar are not possible due to obvious limitations on the console, things such as modding and creating a community you cannot just see on consoles.

Even though the consoles are simpler and all of your friends are on there, the PC has things that the console does not.

Anyways, what I had to say had already been said by the people here.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

its all about cost a PC that can run the same games with the same graphics as a console usually are much more expensive and although you may buy a pc that can play current titles in a year or 2 you wont be able to on your PC although they will be available on the consoles still. PC gaming will never die but it has become for the hardcore crowd now who want to play these titles but with multiple screens and better graphics than the consoles can provide. then it all comes down to cost again.

Although right now idk and i dont think one is available for the xbox 360 or ps3 yet but they make mouse/keyboard adapters i have seen for older systems. IMO this is something Microsoft and Sony should Create for thier consoles and then those of us who cannot afford an awesome gaming pc can play the cheaper console but with similar feel to a computer game.

That's my 2 cents (or dollars since the size of the post)

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS