AMD ATI FirePro V9800 Workstation Graphics Card

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,356
Points 1,191,585
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Sep 16 2010 4:10 PM

AMD ATI FirePro V9800 Workstation Graphics CardIt didn't take AMD long to respond to the release of NVIDIA's new line of Quadro workstation-class graphics cards. The new flagship FirePro V9800 we'll be showing you here is the latest ultra high end professional graphics card from AMD, that competes in the same space as the 6000 and 5000 models from NVIDIA. It replaces the V8800 as the flagship model of the FirePro line, and targets professionals who require the highest levels of performance and connectivity, with plenty of onboard memory and support for multiple displays...

AMD ATI FirePro V9800 Workstation Graphics Card

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Thu, Sep 16 2010 4:41 PM

:D you guys added the word links back Wink

Hum, the quadro covers a bit more range of needs then the firepro i guess :) Still good card and lower price then the quadro :)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

At that price, As a V8800 owner I would strongly suggest that you do yourself a professional favor and get one of the new Quadros!

Plus this one shows just how much they have no concern for their own customers. For the price of one V8800 you can end up getting two V7800's effectively having 2880 core processors and the 4GB's in crossfire. Plus it will only be $1298.00

Then it would only be a matter of, do you really need six monitors for your work. The reason we get these is for the driver support for all the DCC software. And so far my experience with AMD/ATI has proven that they really don't care about that aspect, they only want to hit this market because they think creative people have the money?

Since the V8800 came out there has only been two driver updates, my viewports are still missing, and the driver still has issues if you have a Wacom attached to it! Nowadays, there is not a professional that doesn't use a Wacom, so that is a big issue!

I would have to say that these things are more likely made for people on wallstreet who need six monitors to display their trend graphs, and not for actual artist working in the DCC field! So if you are working in a Hurricane tracking station or CAD engineering firm then this will probably save you some money over the years. If you work in 3D or even graphics and video editing with large file size? Then go with the company that has proven that they deserve the support of companies like ILM and Dreamworks.

Although the V8800 is way better than what I did have. But at the price that I paid for the driver support(which is why we pay the premium) I am having a hard time loving it. I am just hoping that the drivers hold out long enough so I can get done what I need to. For most of you out there that are in need of a workstation card even the V5800 would be good for most 3D and all your 2D DCC needs, and only costs three eighty, and will put you ahead of other older cards that are still three times the price.

Just make sure you look at the OpenGL and DX driver/shader version on the workstation card that you need. If you don't even know what DCC is then get a gaming card :P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance