Duke Nukem Forever Back On and Coming to Consoles, PCs

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,171
Points 1,185,690
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Sep 6 2010 12:56 AM
Some of the biggest, or at least the strangest news coming out of the Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) this year concerned the fate of Duke Nukem Forever. Once thought dead after 3D Realms officially canned the decade-long game, it turns out that DNF is far from dead. Established developer Gearbox has been working to finish the title since 2009. DNF could therefore hit stores as early as the end of this year, but considering the title, even predicting that seems laughable. Instead, let's go with 2011. 

This is normally the point where we'd make some snarky comments about the chances DNF will ever ship, or mock the game's chance of living up, even slightly, to the enormous expectations of its fanbase. In this case, however, it's almost impossible to know where or how to start. In the past 13 years, virtually everything that could be said *has* been said. There've already been websites devoted to all the other things that happened while DNF was in development, and the game has gone through more engines than a LAN player slugging BAWLS at a tourney.

It's hard to imagine a game where killing that thing *wouldn't* be fun, though we're admittedly concerned about Duke's nails. Lavender never seemed like his color...

It's hard to read the history of the game's development and not feel a bit sorry for George Broussard, who probably should've been pulled off the title by 2000. Even then, it was clear that the man was trapped in a cycle of obsessive-compulsive "improvements" that would never actually be good enough to justify shipping the game. George, if you read this, we hope you got yourself some serious mental help. Gearbox, good luck finishing the game. Don't try to make it a legend—the majority of gamers these days probably haven't even heard of Duke Nukem 3D. Just make it fun.
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Hopefully the strip club will have a higher quality of women?

I liked Duke! It was the first one that was funny and fun at the same time. All the other ones were hard to take seriously with low quality graphics.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Mon, Sep 6 2010 4:55 AM

If they actually get this one released I predict it will be a best seller. I know everyone who'd played a duke game back in the day will buy it to check it out. I know I plan to if they do, and I am sure many inexperienced Duke players will buy it as well because of it's rep, and it will be a new shooter right. They said it would have multi/group play etc to.....

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,072
Points 11,625
Joel H replied on Mon, Sep 6 2010 1:39 PM

Heh. Remember Daikatana? ;)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Ah looks like a blast of a game... 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670

"Don't try to make it a legend—the majority of gamers these days probably haven't even heard of Duke Nukem 3D."

ah, whos Duke Nukem? :) Well i really never heard of it/him? before so care to update me with whats all the fuss about? :D

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,650
Points 104,110
MembershipAdministrator

"It's all fun and games until somebody loses an Eye!"

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345
sackyhack replied on Tue, Sep 7 2010 12:49 AM

Ah the memories of being caught by my mom repeatedly handing bills to the pixelated stripper.  Good thing I wasn't doing anything "else" at the time.

I don't know what to make of this.  Borderlands was definitely great, and Opposing Force was almost as good as the original Half Life, but Gearbox hasn't really done much else that stands out in my eyes *preps flame-shield*.  Their track record is good, but short, and I hope their hard work isn't met with unjustified skepticism just because some people have been waiting for DNF for so long.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Tue, Sep 7 2010 5:22 AM

Inspector as far as a game goes the only thing shooter wise or even first person action variant the first thing ( TIME WISE ) besides Doom I even think of is Duke Nukem.  So as far as me making it legendary ask anyone over maybe 25 who games or has been messing with computers that long and they will know at least what Duke Nukem is.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Tue, Sep 7 2010 6:03 AM

yea the strip clubs are the most important thing animatortom. lol

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 140
Points 1,710

Joel H:

Heh. Remember Daikatana? ;)

lol I don't want to remember! 

I think I still have my copy (no I didn't buy it, I won it from some pc gamer club membership, I can't even remember where).  I got clipping problems 3 times in the first 30 minutes and my character would be unable to move then I stopped playing completely. lol.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,072
Points 11,625
Joel H replied on Tue, Sep 7 2010 11:03 AM

Sack,

That's the thing. Is anyone actually waiting for DNF anymore? I think not. If you read Wired's coverage of the 3D Realms collapse, you may well end up feeling bad for George Broussard--I wasn't kidding when I expressed hope that he got help.

The man really did fall into a loop of always trying to make DNF "better" than anything shipping, with the result that it never ever shipped. It's hard to imagine that a man could go so long with such an obsession...but it happened.

I had high hopes for DNF a long time ago--like ten years ago. Now if there's a reason to be hopeful, it's that everyone knows DNF is pulling more baggage than any other game in history (more than even BST3K.) Clearly Gearbox must've seen something pretty special to make them want to take the risk.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 2,025
Optix replied on Wed, Sep 8 2010 8:09 AM

Gearbox has a DNF section on their official forums for those who want to be kept in the know.

Intel i3 530 @ 4.2Ghz/Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3/2x2GB G.Skill Eco & 2x2GB Kingston Blu @ 1520mhz, Coolit Vantage C240

Sapphire 6850 Toxic Edition, Mushkin Calisto Deluxe 60GB, Western Digital 640GB Caviar Black, Western Digital Scorpio Black 200GB (Vantec NexStar3 enclosure)

LG GH22LS50 DVD Writer, Ultra X4 850w PSU

Lian Li PC-P50WB

Slave to technology.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Sep 8 2010 7:53 PM

I'm still waiting.

I'm actually interested in Vaporware, makes me wonder what it would of been like if it was ever released... Now that Duke Nukem Forever's being released, I can't see what it's going to be like...

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS