Fascinate Pre-Orders Set to Begin; Launch Date Leaks

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,749
Points 1,210,335
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Aug 26 2010 8:57 PM
The other carriers have either launched their Samsung Galaxy S variant (T-Mobile, the Vibrant, and AT&T, the Captivate), or we at least know a launch date (Sprint's Epic 4G will launch on August 31st). Yet the largest wireless carrier in the U.S., Verizon, has not released a launch date for its Fascinate. It has to be soon, however: pre-orders are set to begin.

On Thursday, Best Buy announced pre-orders for the Verizon Fascinate will begin on Aug. 27th (for Reward Zone members), or Aug. 29th (for others). Since Best Buy's Reward Zone is free, if you want a Fascinate, you'd best sign up now. Pre-orders will be taken in-person at Best Buy stores and Best Buy Mobile standalone stores. However, Best Buy failed to give us a launch date.

Instead, we have to rely on a leaked screenshot from Verizon sales. It shows that Verizon employees can pre-order Fascinates, and that the device will ship 9/6 for a 9/9 launch. An unlikely possibility would be that 9/9 is for Verizon employees only, but that seems very unlikely, particularly with the final clue.

The final clue is that reportedly the Verizon Fascinate is set as a sponsor of the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards. The VMAs awards show airs on Sept. 12th.  Thus, a Sept. 9th launch date makes a whole lot of sense, as if you're sponsoring something this high-profile, it would be great if people could buy the item (although, we admit, it could be just as good if the launch was soon thereafter).
The Verizon Fascinate is, as we said, a Samsung Galaxy S variant.  The devices spread throughout the big 4 carriers all have the same "basic" specs: they ship with Android 2.1, include a  beautiful 4-inch Super AMOLED screen, a 1GHz Samsung Hummingbird processor, 5-megapixel camera, a few other things.  They still have some degree of differentiation. 

For one, the T-Mobile and AT&T variants do not have an LED flash, but do have 16GB of internal storage.  The Captivate also has a significantly different shape from the Vibrant.  Meanwhile, while both the the Verizon Fascinate and the Sprint Epic 4G have an LED flash, they have much less internal storage (2GB and 1GB, respectively).  The Epic 4G adds a front-facing camera and a slide-out QWERTY keyboard. The Epic 4G also has a higher price, $50 higher than the Vibrant and Captivate, at $249.

Despite the fact that pre-orders start on Thursday, Best Buy didn't announce a price when it announced the start of the process.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Man, that looks like the Samsung variant of the Sprint EVO.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Sat, Aug 28 2010 10:02 AM

Yeah Tom it is pretty close to an EVO hardware wise. From what I have heard the processor is different , and better as well as the screen being better than the EVO. This is actually the phone I want. I like the Sprint one best (Epic), on the way to Arkansas I saw the At&t version (the guy sitting next to me in the commuter jet had one smart phone (The samsung one for work), and the iPhone 4 as his personal. He said the Galaxy S smoked the iPhone performance and OS wise. I have been thinking about jumping ship from Verizon and going to Sprint personally so now I have the option of either carrier which is good. I have no contract so whoever has the best deal basically.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS