Philly Tells Bloggers to Pay Up, For Biz Licenses

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,861
Points 1,171,795
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Aug 23 2010 9:33 PM
Indeed, it's true that some make quite a bit of money from blogging. Some make almost nothing, however. Still, Philadelphia says "a business is a business" and has started to track down bloggers and force them to buy a $300 business license.

According to a report from a Philadelphia news site (not blog!), one such blogger, Marilyn Bess, has a low-traffic blog and has made a total of $50 over a "few years." Meanwhile, the cost of a business license would run $300. The cash-strapped city, obviously not wanting to miss any chance at some extra revenue, sent her a letter.
"The real kick in the pants is that I don't even have a full-time job, so for the city to tell me to pony up $300 for a business privilege license, pay wage tax, business privilege tax, net profits tax on a handful of money is outrageous."
The city simply states that such a license is required whether or not a "business" makes money. Going by the letter of the law, this is, in fact, correct.

It's also true that if you rake in any money at all from blogging, you will affect your unemployment insurance. That is, of course, something that all bloggers need to keep in mind, as well. If you have a full-time job, you might want to be ready to bail on your blog unless you make more than unemployment will pay.

Meanwhile, one option would seem to be: remove all ads. That would seem to satisfy the city, as there would be no way for you to make money. Since the city is probably using your IP address to determine if you live within their boundaries, one could, if one were clever enough, use an IP scrambler. You might then receive a request for a business license from Moscow, however.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Liberal Bloggers being made to pay, by those they look to as Gods! :P

HAH, Poetic justice!

Just wait until they start forcing you to pay your mandatory campaign contributions!

THEN....Will you know what side is evil!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,072
Points 11,610
Joel H replied on Tue, Aug 24 2010 9:29 AM

Animatron, there are days I can't tell if you're kidding, French, or legally retarded.

This is one of them. :P

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,565
Inspector replied on Tue, Aug 24 2010 10:45 AM

LOL Joel...

By the way does this only go towards bloggers that make money or all of them? Such as personal blogs for just your self?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,543
Points 54,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Tue, Aug 24 2010 11:20 AM

Tom, I think what Joel is trying to say here is there are plenty of non-liberal bloggers in our midst that definitely do not look at our current administration as Gods. :)

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Tue, Aug 24 2010 12:51 PM

AnimatorTom: You're stretching too hard to blame this on "the liberal agenda". The very fact that this was done to a "green" blogger is proof that political affiliation has nothing to do with it at all.  The conservatives are the ones that say they hate the environment, right?

This is obviously the work of one or two small-minded people in city hall, trying to justify their jobs/bonuses. I hope they get fired when everyone moves their blogs to servers hosted outside of Philly and a few data centers have to shut down - no matter what their party of choice might be.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

HAH...Got Ya talking didn't I !Stick out tongue

Joel can call me Petarded if that is the only thing that makes him question things and learn about all angles. Yet you forgot to put Genius in that line of questioning! Seeing how Most hard-left liberals are the ones who brand themselves "Green" kinda shows that point.  Let me guess you were somehow involved in Netroots:P No one side has an exclusive on being green! Let me just quote Cartman on that one "I mean, the way they always talk about "protectin' the earth" and then drive around in cars that get poor gas mileage and wear those stupid bracelets."

3vi1..."work of one or two small-minded people in city hall, trying to justify their jobs/bonuses"

That is my point about most politicians, and especially those who want big government, so they can justify their jobs and trickle down the actual work to their assistants who they control with cigarsTongue Tied Just look at Bell CA? This just proves my train of thought, that even liberals will go after you, once they are done using you for all you are worth! Just like Rangle and Waters, they will throw you under the bus as fast as they can so no one notices.

I never said anything about a "Liberal Agenda"? Although I think Liberal Bloggers are a "large group of crazy". Conservatives don't say they hate the environment, it is the liberal agenda to brand them as hating the environment, everything else and hating the constitution. These are all just tactics to get themselves elected for that justification. It happens on both sides, Conservatives are just as bad. They get people arguing on who is more evil and you must chose the least evil of who is going to rake you through the coals!  So Joel you, should have just stuck to the current political tactic and just called me a Racist while you are at it!  I think outside the box, and look at everyone as Human! 

"Tom, I think what Joel is trying to say here is there are plenty of non-liberal bloggers in our midst that definitely do not look at our current administration as Gods. :)"

That is why I reluctantly placed the Liberal part on that comment, because I know there are good bloggers out there. Using it the way it was designed to be used, and they should be allowed an open forum, and the freedom that this country allows. To me, this would be like if the Queen started Taxing the orators in Hyde Park. All because they have to much parliament and don't know how to pay for it.

So yes, I saw humor in what this would mean for "liberal Bloggers", not non-liberal bloggers, or anything about an agenda? So Joel please relax, go and watch Schindler's list, then watch Das Boot (DC)! Then tell me what the two had to do with each other, then we can talkGeeked

Anima-Tron...Out

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX