HH and MSI Lazy Days Of Summer Sweepstakes!

This post has 384 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,579
Points 103,270
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Sep 8 2010 12:31 PM

Optix:
MSI's Platinum series was great.  Out of my price range but great.  Their 790GX board was awesome! 

My MSI Platinum boards were all of the 939 socket series! Dated, but I still have one of them and it still works with an Athlon 4000+ CPU in it. It's an SLI board with two 512MB GT6800 Ultra cards in it (SLI) and 2GB of ram. (4-512MB sticks)  Like I said, it's dated.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 2,025
Optix replied on Wed, Sep 8 2010 7:25 PM

I'm not sure if we have to say if we are setup with Facebook, Twitter or your News Letter for some extra chances to win but I'm set with all three.  I didn't think about joining up with Digg though.

Intel i3 530 @ 4.2Ghz/Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3/2x2GB G.Skill Eco & 2x2GB Kingston Blu @ 1520mhz, Coolit Vantage C240

Sapphire 6850 Toxic Edition, Mushkin Calisto Deluxe 60GB, Western Digital 640GB Caviar Black, Western Digital Scorpio Black 200GB (Vantec NexStar3 enclosure)

LG GH22LS50 DVD Writer, Ultra X4 850w PSU

Lian Li PC-P50WB

Slave to technology.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,782
Points 40,575

im sure they have their ways to find you on those sites :). i am on all of them :D

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator

realneil:
My MSI Platinum boards were all of the 939 socket series! Dated, but I still have one of them and it still works with an Athlon 4000+ CPU in it.

My laptop has an Athlon 4000 in it and it works great. I loved those old socket 939 Athlons!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

I love the Big Bang!......Count me in Geeked

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255

I got an old athlon setup, with a socket 754 motherboard, a step down from 939 no?  waiting till I spot some cheap DDR memory, but I think It still works great

i7 950 - ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - ASUS GTX 570 - AZZA Hurricane - 6 GB Corsair 1600 - Corsair AX750 - WD 1tb black  Cool Thank You HH!!!!!!Cool

AMD 1090T - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - XFX HD5850 x2 - CM Storm Scout - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Corsair HX850 - Sammy spinpoint f3 

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 510

I have an old Athlon setup too. It's an Athlon XP on an MSI K7 nForce 2 motherboard with an MSI FX 5600. I think it still works but it's missing a power supply and a hard drive. It was my first AMD system and it was a beast at gaming.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,579
Points 103,270
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Sep 9 2010 11:13 AM

The thing about these older Athlon systems that we can't seem to part with (LOL) is that most of them were built during the infamous 'Bad-Caps' time frame. This is what keeps me from using it (although it works fine right now) for something important. It's my second Linux test bed at the moment and it's had a number of distributions installed on it so far. It also has XP on a separate drive.

I did put a 350 watt SeaSonic PSU into it to provide it with good, clean and stable power, and I've got it cooling well with 6 extra fans too. Another consideration here is space. I don't have the room to keep it hooked up all of the time. So it may see a week or two's use when Ubuntu spits out another release, but then it's on the floor, back under a bench again.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator

realneil:
The thing about these older Athlon systems that we can't seem to part with (LOL) is that most of them were built during the infamous 'Bad-Caps' time frame.

I have an old Gigabyte GA-8KNXP mobo in my test rig that's giving me some trouble. It started making a terrible noise, but only intermittently, and I suspected it was the fan on the northbridge acting-up again. I put a drop of oil on the fan's bearing, but that didn't help. Now I suspect it's a bad cap that is whistling at me - and it's pretty loud! It whistles for maybe 10 seconds or so, and then I won't hear it again for a couple of weeks. Funny.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,579
Points 103,270
MembershipAdministrator

Super Dave:
Now I suspect it's a bad cap that is whistling at me

Inspect the board and see what's up. There will be caps that are bulging, leaking or both if you have that problem.

Remember that it could be in the power supply too. They suggest that you try a known good power supply first.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator

realneil:
There will be caps that are bulging, leaking or both if you have that problem.

LOL - Oh yeah, I know the routine...just gotta find the time to do it! I've got a radiator to replace on the wife's car and four carburetors from my Suzuki that need rebuilding. I used to like working on the cars and the bike, but not any more. Getting all greasy, crawling around on the ground underneath the car, and busting my knuckles doesn't appeal to me now. But I do like building PC's!Stick out tongue At least whoever wins this Big Bang motherboard won't have to worry about leaking or bulging caps!Big Smile

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,579
Points 103,270
MembershipAdministrator

Super Dave:
I used to like working on the cars and the bike, but not any more.

No kidding, I do as little as I can get away with anymore when it comes to cars. It's worth it to barter for the work to be done for me and I'll do computer work for them.

Just get a new car/truck every 4 years and you'll not have that many problems to deal with. (Poop money to get this part done)

Building PC's is the way to go, and I'd love to build one with these parts that are to be awarded to somebody.

What a kick-ass system it would be!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator

I've had some terrible luck paying other people to service my vehicles, realneil! Imagine allowing the laziest corner-cutting slacker of a coworker of yours work on your car. [shudders] THAT's the kind of luck I've had! Pep Boys sliced the tire sidewall on one of my cars as they drove it into their service bay, and another time a mechanic left a rag under the hood after he serviced the AC. The rag later caught fire and burned the underhood wiring harness.Tongue Tied Yeah, I'll regretfully do my own auto service, but I really enjoy working on computers!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,782
Points 40,575

Cars are like computers :), you got to do it yourself to be satisfied. Now time to go build a car bottoms up form scratch... Should integrate the parts from this contest in to it too :P lol

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,579
Points 103,270
MembershipAdministrator

Inspector:
Now time to go build a car bottoms up form scratch... Should integrate the parts from this contest in to it to

Yeah, a desktop Car!    Why didn't I think of that?

Super: I have a few really good mechanics here in town that I trust. They also trust me not to screw up their kid's computers. It works out well most of the time. At least I know that They're gonna do the job right. I know what to look for when they're done if I feel the need to check their work out.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator

There is one aspect of auto service that I still like: the dreaded SERVICE ENGINE SOON or CHECK ENGINE light! Probably most people hate it when this thing lights up, but I actually get a bit excited - serious! I view it as a challenge, and I hope all of you hardware geeks out there have your own personal scan tool! Newer cars (1996+) pretty much diagnose themselves and relay the info to a scan tool, and even if you choose to let someone else fix the problem, at least you will know exactly what's up. This knowledge could possibly save you from being stroked by an unscrupulous mechanic. You don't necessarily need to purchase a tool, either, as there is scanning software available that will run on your laptop. A good investment, IMO!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 2,025
Optix replied on Thu, Sep 9 2010 6:25 PM

Oh you crazy people keeping your old systems.  I can never afford (nor would I really want to ) keep my frankensteined systems.  My current rig is finally the first one that I was able to build using all new parts save the monitor.

It's probably for the best.  We don't have the room with my wife's aging dinosaur Dell taking up part of my Man Room.

Intel i3 530 @ 4.2Ghz/Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3/2x2GB G.Skill Eco & 2x2GB Kingston Blu @ 1520mhz, Coolit Vantage C240

Sapphire 6850 Toxic Edition, Mushkin Calisto Deluxe 60GB, Western Digital 640GB Caviar Black, Western Digital Scorpio Black 200GB (Vantec NexStar3 enclosure)

Lian Li PC-P50WB

Slave to technology.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,579
Points 103,270
MembershipAdministrator

Super Dave:
I hope all of you hardware geeks out there have your own personal scan tool

Why yes,......... I do have an OBD-II scanner for my cars, but Toyota (in their infinite wisdom) crippled scanners that they don't sell! (the greedy bustards)

So my scanner is good for the '07 Sonata and most of my neighbor's cars too, but I can't use it on the '06 Tacoma 4X4. Knowing in advance exactly what is wrong with your car when you go in to have it fixed is priceless. My neighbors dig it too.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator

realneil:
I do have an OBD-II scanner for my cars, but Toyota (in their infinite wisdom) crippled scanners that they don't sell! (the greedy bustards)

Probably your Toyota is running CAN protocol.

The CAN protocol is a popular standard outside of the US automotive industry and is making significant in-roads into the OBD-II market share. By 2008, all vehicles sold in the US will be required to implement CAN, thus eliminating the ambiguity of the existing five signalling protocols. - ripped from Wikipedia

A scan tool or software  that supports OBD II and CAN is the one to get! I really like THIS software.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,579
Points 103,270
MembershipAdministrator

Super Dave:
Probably your Toyota is running CAN protocol.

Could very well be the case. It's upsetting that my $150.00 portable scanner worked on the '05 Toyota that I had, but not on the '06 model.

I think that they believe somehow that more jobs will go to them and their rip-off prices if they keep us from reading our own codes. My Hyundai dealer's service manager didn't believe that I had such a device (or so he said) and that I already knew that the O2 Sensor on bank two, position 2, was defective and covered under the vehicle's warranty. They wanted 90 bucks to do their own scan and I refused to allow it. I connected my scanner to the car and showed him the codes and the definitions too.

It is a great tool to have and I love to pull it out when I see my neighbors under the hood and scratching their heads. Now when they get a light, they just drive over to my house first.

Many car parts stores will scan your codes for free as well.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator

Check THIS out, realneil.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator

Optix:
Oh you crazy people keeping your old systems.

But it's only out of economic necessity!

Optix:
We don't have the room with my wife's aging dinosaur Dell taking up part of my Man Room.

The only Man Room I have has a shower and sink.Sad

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,782
Points 40,575
Inspector replied on Thu, Sep 9 2010 10:02 PM

Super, Thats the little boys room :).

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,579
Points 103,270
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Sep 9 2010 10:23 PM

Super Dave:

Yow! it's exactly what I need, but it's over $600.00 for the base unit and the Toyota and Hyundai add on parts. That's a lot of computer upgrades!

When I'm in a bind and I have to read the truck, I can go to AutoZone and they'll read it for free. This works as long as the truck is running, and being a Toyota, it's never failed to run.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator

realneil:
I can go to AutoZone and they'll read it for free.

Auto Zone used to do that here, but last time I asked they declined. Virginia must be friendlier than California!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,579
Points 103,270
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Sep 9 2010 11:12 PM

Super Dave:
Virginia must be friendlier than California!

I moved here from Southern California in 2006 and never looked back.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Fri, Sep 10 2010 12:11 AM

We've had the mildest summer here in So Cal that I can ever remember! I ran my AC for only 2 days in July, and probably only 5 or 6 days in August. That has saved me a bunch of money on my Southern California Edison bill, so if I win this sweepstakes I'm gonna put that money into my new build! What about you, realneil? Are you BUCK$ UP for the build?

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,094
Points 38,135
acarzt replied on Fri, Sep 10 2010 12:29 AM

realneil:

Super Dave:

Yow! it's exactly what I need, but it's over $600.00 for the base unit and the Toyota and Hyundai add on parts. That's a lot of computer upgrades!

When I'm in a bind and I have to read the truck, I can go to AutoZone and they'll read it for free. This works as long as the truck is running, and being a Toyota, it's never failed to run.

I've got an SCT hand held tuner that I use to tune the Mustang, it can also read and clear CELs. I actually had to use it for that, for the first time the other day. Might have an O2 Sensor going bad. Gotta keep an eye on it.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator

acarzt:
Might have an O2 Sensor going bad. Gotta keep an eye on it.

Concerning O2 sensors  - the sensor itself might be bad, or the heating element in it might be bad (not coming online fast enough). Either way you're going to have to replace the sensor. If the bad O2 sensor happens to be the one AFTER the catalytic converter (CAT monitor) you may have to replace the catalytic converter. Ouch.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,094
Points 38,135
acarzt replied on Fri, Sep 10 2010 1:23 AM

Ahhhh, i'm not too concerned about it lol

It came on once, I cleared it like a week ago and I haven't heard from it since lol

The code did come from the passenger side o2 sensor after the cat.

If it comes up again, i'm gonna swap the sensors and clear the code and see if it throws it for the other side.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator

So acarzt, I'm going to ask you the same question I asked realneil: If you win this sweepstakes are you buck$ up for the build? It's going to cost some serious moola to complete this thing!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,094
Points 38,135
acarzt replied on Fri, Sep 10 2010 2:30 AM

If I win this, those 460s will be replacing my gtx295. And then 1 of 2 things will happen...

I'll either hold on to both the 295 and this board and save up and start building a system out of it... or i'll just sell both and find something useless to spend the money on lol

SOOOOO, someone else needs to win this, so that board does not go to waste lol

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 2,025
Optix replied on Fri, Sep 10 2010 6:49 AM

That's pretty much how it would go for me as well.

I'd have to hang onto the board and the cards until I have enough cash for a chip.  I could at least swap out my 5770 for one of the 460's in the interim for a nice little boost but this would make a fine foundation for an upgrade so my wife can have my i3 to replace her P4.

This is a very exciting time for computer nuts.  The tech that is available is incredible.  Budget offerings acting like high end boards of last year and high end boards of this year offering stuff that we used to only dream of.

Lian Li PC-P50WB

Slave to technology.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,435

acarzt:

Ahhhh, i'm not too concerned about it lol

It came on once, I cleared it like a week ago and I haven't heard from it since lol

The code did come from the passenger side o2 sensor after the cat.

If it comes up again, i'm gonna swap the sensors and clear the code and see if it throws it for the other side.

acarzt   I would,nt be overly concerned with that oxygen sensor code.It is not at all uncommon to get an O2 sensor code because they can be brought on by a number of things.If its intermittent I would,nt go out and buy one right away. Thats whats called a soft code!  When it comes on and stays on thats called a hard code then you need to look at it further.If your not having a drivabilty problem or suffering a noticable loss of fuel mileage then like I say dont be overly concerned. I was in the automotive field for 28 years ,ran an independent service center and worked for GM as a Drive ability tech, primarily onboard computer diagnostics, fuel systems, wiring well pretty much everything and its a common thing to see people throw money at a problem thats not even there.Just keep an eye on it. Im amazed that you have an OB II scanner  thats cool!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,579
Points 103,270
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Sep 10 2010 10:04 AM

Super Dave:
What about you, realneil? Are you BUCK$ UP for the build?

Not yet, unfortunately. I do have a nice little bit of cash coming in November (surprise money) and if I won, I would hold onto everything and build something to really brag about with it then. I wouldn't dream of selling that mainboard once I had it in my home. A $300.00 motherboard is a luxury that I can't afford, and if I had the cash to get one, I'd probably feel really guilty about spending all of that money on myself. (it's like a Jewish guilt complex without the Jewish mother at my shoulder) Ha-Ha!

I don't expect to win, so I know  I'll probably be building something as fast as I can make it go, on my own budget.

An SLI setup with a pair of GTX-460's is just one of my goals. I'd like to be able to add an SSD drive to it as well. A larger screen would be nice. Whatever I end up with will probably be my last hurrah because guys on a fixed retirement income usually don't have a lot to spread around.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,579
Points 103,270
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Sep 10 2010 10:10 AM

amdcrankitup:
Im amazed that you have an OB II scanner  thats cool!!

A person has to have one these days just to cut through all of the BS that some mechanics try to feed you. I need a better one than the one I have if I want to read my Toyota truck. It's lucky that my local AutoZone reads codes for free if I need it. (knocks on wood because he hasn't needed it yet)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,435

realneil:
A person has to have one these days just to cut through all of the BS that some mechanics try to feed you.

Your right having something like that is very handy and your right there is unfortunatly a lot of mechanics out there that will BS you at a moments notice and me being a former Tech I found myself always having to prove to any potential customers that I was honest and not there to screw them out of their money!!! The problem with a some mechanics is they are trying to make all of their money off of everyone that comes in their door instead of doing the right thing and having a return customer that for life. Then you have the other kind of mechanics that  arent qualified for the job in the first place and is guessing at his repairs at your cost!!!!!!! When that happens then you cant spend your money on your toys. I wont let anyone work on my cars unless Im just sick and not up to the job! Good luck to all of you someone is going to get lucky REAL SOON!!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255
lifeskills replied on Fri, Sep 10 2010 12:30 PM

My civic engine light turned on last week.  I should check those scanners out, because Im constantly THINKING im being scammed by car men, weather I am or not.  If not I will take yalls advice and get it checked at autozone.  Hehe, I have some front axles in my trunk that I need to collect my core charge on anyway.

As for this build,  I would not have the cash to finish it right away, but I could sell my 890fx/1090T/HD5850 combo and probably come out with a legit i7, my question is, since I have 4 2gb skicks of DDr3 already, could I just add two more, or does it have to be tripple channel?

i7 950 - ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - ASUS GTX 570 - AZZA Hurricane - 6 GB Corsair 1600 - Corsair AX750 - WD 1tb black  Cool Thank You HH!!!!!!Cool

AMD 1090T - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - XFX HD5850 x2 - CM Storm Scout - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Corsair HX850 - Sammy spinpoint f3 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,579
Points 103,270
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Sep 10 2010 12:48 PM

lifeskills:
my question is, since I have 4 2gb skicks of DDr3 already, could I just add two more, or does it have to be tripple channel?

You need sets of three. and they should match. So if you buy two more sticks, just like the other ones, it should work fine. (that's what I would do)

Many think that you should buy them all from the same lot number, or in matched sets, but I'm not so sure. If I was buying all of my RAM at once, I would opt for sets because you can usually get a deal on them anyway.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,782
Points 40,575
Inspector replied on Fri, Sep 10 2010 2:12 PM

realneil:

lifeskills:
my question is, since I have 4 2gb skicks of DDr3 already, could I just add two more, or does it have to be tripple channel?

You need sets of three. and they should match. So if you buy two more sticks, just like the other ones, it should work fine. (that's what I would do)

Many think that you should buy them all from the same lot number, or in matched sets, but I'm not so sure. If I was buying all of my RAM at once, I would opt for sets because you can usually get a deal on them anyway.

Oh, i thought they had to be bought in a set of triple channel RAMs xD. I only have 2 1GB DDr3 Ram so im going to buy new ones anyway if i win :D

Page 5 of 10 (385 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS