HH and MSI Lazy Days Of Summer Sweepstakes!

This post has 379 Replies | 14 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator

acarzt:

I don't think they're that low lol but still pretty low... check it out.

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-460-Debut-ZOTAC-EVGA/?page=11

This site has figures for just the cards power usage.

The GTX460 came in at 18w idle and 167 under load. So I was full of Sh***T in my earlier post. (probably not the first time) But this card is one of the lowest power users out there now that still deliver good gaming performance.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,071
Points 37,990
acarzt replied on Fri, Sep 3 2010 2:23 AM

realneil:

acarzt:
You couldn't probably get by with

I plan to find out in a few months. I'll be pulling the trigger on a new Hex-Core build with two GTX460's in it and I have several PSU's here to try with it. I'll post on it at that time to let you know what the smallest size is that I got away with.

Whoops! That  "couldn't" was supposed to be a could lol

Anyway... with the numbers you quoted, you could probably just barely get by with a 450 lol I doubt it would last too long tho. The minimum I would use would be a 550w, but I would feel better with a 600+

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Fri, Sep 3 2010 3:35 AM

dam gtx 480 sli takes alot of power.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator

fat78:
dam gtx 480 sli takes alot of power.

Worse than that is the incredible heat they produce. See Chart,....

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310

LOL still loving that chart, every times its posted i still giggle on the inside :)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Fri, Sep 3 2010 3:46 PM

yum bacon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator

@manoy385: I love your Mr. Bean Avatar, Avatar. It's perfect.

(Mark Twain)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator

So has anyone won a copy of the Metro2033 game yet? Or is that gonna happen later on?

(Mark Twain)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310

realneil, I think all winners will be announced in the end.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,419
Points 46,595
ForumsAdministrator

realneil:

So has anyone won a copy of the Metro2033 game yet? Or is that gonna happen later on?

HotHardware kicked me down a copy of Just Cause 2 and my son is tearing it up! I wish I had one of those grappling hooks in real-life, but it would probably tear my arm off. Rob says that once he beats the game he is gonna look-up some chea...er...mods.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 339
Points 4,450
slugbug replied on Sat, Sep 4 2010 12:33 PM

Haven't seen any game winners posted yet so maybe the games will be drawn the same time as the grand prize.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310

Super Dave:

realneil:

HotHardware kicked me down a copy of Just Cause 2 and my son is tearing it up! I wish I had one of those grappling hooks in real-life, but it would probably tear my arm off. Rob says that once he beats the game he is gonna look-up some chea...er...mods.

Ya, that grappling hook is dam fun. I wish i had better control of those jet planes -.- died 5 times last night flying them... Also took me like an hour to get that (forgot the name) big gray military fighter jet plane in to the air... fighting off enemy and pulling it out of storage with a truck was dam hard :D.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator

"grappling hook,.....jet planes,.....big gray military fighter jet plane,....."

You guy have had more time playing than I have. I have family matters and personal crapolla pounding me right now and haven't got too far into the game yet.

But I love it.

(Mark Twain)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310

wait, what? u haven't used the grappling hook yet? you needed to use it for the first mission...

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,420

Well it wont be long now till someone scores on the MSI Big Bang and some Msi graphics . The more I look at that Big Bang thats a lot of real estate for some video power and a great looking board and whoever wins it I would like to see how it turns out in a the winners personal reveiw. So good luck to everyone!

HH,Marco,Dave and their sponsers are the best, the site, forums and the members are the best so to any newcomers its a Win! Win! to be here!!Yes

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator

Yes, I've used the hook. but I haven't got that far into the game yet.

I'd like to have more time on my hands, but don't expect it to happen until I solve world peace and sh*t with my kids.

(Mark Twain)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator

amdcrankitup:
HH,Marco,Dave and their sponsers are the best, the site, forums and the members are the best

Yeah, I have to agree, they seem to take good care of us here,...always.

The Mainboard and SLI setup are really cool. There is a tremendous overclocking potential with this gear, but even at stock speeds, this will be a smokin' fast way to go. The reviews on all of this gear are stellar.

Good luck to you too, amdcrankitup.

(Mark Twain)

Not Ranked
Posts 34
Points 305

Tri SLI would make this into a sweet machine!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310

We already talked about that a750 :D, its not possible to do tri SLI as they don't provide the plug on the card.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,419
Points 46,595
ForumsAdministrator

realneil:
but don't expect it to happen until I solve world peace and sh*t with my kids.

World peace will never be achieved, but perhaps the kids would have a great time playing Just Cause 2!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator

Super Dave:
perhaps the kids would have a great time playing Just Cause 2!

Yeah,....after they pull their heads out from where the Sun never shines,.....

(Mark Twain)

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 175
oh_fubar replied on Sun, Sep 5 2010 10:32 AM

just wait realneil they grow up and move out finally ,then your games and hardware return to you lol

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Solution on how to solve world peace!

Find that special someone...Make her your world!

Then get yourself a Piece! Cool

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Sep 5 2010 11:02 AM

oh_fubar:

just wait realneil they grow up and move out finally ,then your games and hardware return to you lol

Probably should never have brought it up here, and I apologize for that.  I won't discuss this anymore on this board after this,......

The kids are grown, gone, and running amuck in the world. One of them has a history of making the wrong choices and is paying for them now. I'm struggling with the knee-jerk reaction to immediately help him solve his problems, or to let him suffer his own consequences and learn life's lessons. I've decided to let him stew in it. It bothers me, but I can't be a safety net forever.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm proud of all 7 of my kids. They've accomplished many things, and they're ALL very intelligent creatures too. Sadly, sometimes a person's own intelligence can get in the way of productive thought process and that's where problems start. I believe that someone can let things like pride cause you to do things that you know are bloody well stupid. Emotions play an important role in the execution of Dumb-Ass deeds.

I had to learn at a young age to deal with my own scattered thought processes, and I'm just trying to let myself let him do the same.

But it's frustrating,..........

(Mark Twain)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Sep 5 2010 11:08 AM

animatortom:
Then get yourself a Piece! Cool

You remind me of the 2 Bulls, (one young and one older) on top of a hill looking down on a pasture full of Jersey Cows.

The young Bull said, "Hey lets run down there and get us a Cow!"

The old Bull replied, "No son, let's walk down and get them all"

(Mark Twain)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
bockwai replied on Sun, Sep 5 2010 12:08 PM

Wow, that heatsink/fan on the Cyclone is just ridiculously uber kewl.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator

bockwai:

Welcome, bockwai,........those cyclone coolers are good for cooling the card, but some here have wondered if they would raise inner case temps because they don't exhaust their heat to the outside of the case. My CoolerMaster Cases would probably not be affected since they already move so much air around.

(Mark Twain)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,797
Points 45,505
rapid1 replied on Mon, Sep 6 2010 5:02 AM

Yeah some cases move a lot some are more constricted. I know my Thermaltake moves air exceptionally well, and directed, my aluminum tower does ok not as good but decently. These cards specifically run considerably cooler from what I've heard as well though.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,797
Points 45,505
rapid1 replied on Mon, Sep 6 2010 5:10 AM

The cards together on that board could be accommodated to depending on your case. You could put one in the top slot and one in the next to last with fan adapters above and below each if you were really worried, and or experienced significant heat issues. The one thing that would really scare me here is if you wanted to OC as then heat becomes a real issue. I will say one thing for certain though on an I7 1366 chipset system it is not really necessary, and it will oc automatically to some extent as well.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Sep 6 2010 10:34 AM

rapid1:
The cards together on that board could be accommodated to depending on your case. You could put one in the top slot and one in the next to last with fan adapters above and below each if you were really worried, and or experienced significant heat issues. The one thing that would really scare me here is if you wanted to OC as then heat becomes a real issue. I will say one thing for certain though on an I7 1366 chipset system it is not really necessary, and it will oc automatically to some extent as well.

I think that the best part of these Video Cards is the performance that they're said to produce while consuming little power and staying cool at the same time. This is  the 'evolution' in the revolution that they bring to the table. They work just as well on any platform, but this mainboard is perfect for overclocking with lots of OC features built right into it. There are multiple PCI-E slots there so you can spread them out a little as you said. This would keep them from 'baking' each other in a crappy case too. Yeah, this is a kick-ass giveaway this time and someone very lucky will have a wonderful start on a newly upgraded PC.

Good Luck to all and don't forget to post about how you all want me to win,.......Heh-Heh!.

(Mark Twain)

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255

I definitely want to win these.  I would evict my AMD platform from my cooler master storm scout, as the 5850 is pretty cramped in there.  One of the things i love about those 460's is that they are small enough to fit in just about anything.

i7 950 - ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - ASUS GTX 570 - AZZA Hurricane - 6 GB Corsair 1600 - Corsair AX750 - WD 1tb black  Cool Thank You HH!!!!!!Cool

AMD 1090T - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - XFX HD5850 x2 - CM Storm Scout - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Corsair HX850 - Sammy spinpoint f3 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

I like how this has become the general chat thread... I need to go revive this longest thread...lol 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator

It would be a much better fit inside my Cooler-Master Storm Sniper Case. It's BIG, you could almost park a Buick in there.

(Mark Twain)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,797
Points 45,505
rapid1 replied on Tue, Sep 7 2010 6:17 AM

rofl well it is a great gathering place. Well I am still in Vegas, and will be doing two stores in Utah (just over the border from Nevada), and 2 in Vegas tomorrow. Then on to California and Arizona tomorrow. As for this give away someone is definitely getting an upgrade. That board is a truly nice piece of work, and the Nividia 460's while not being the top of Nvidia's current platform in SLI will probably outdo there top of the line.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 140
Points 1,710

realneil:

bockwai:

Welcome, bockwai,........those cyclone coolers are good for cooling the card, but some here have wondered if they would raise inner case temps because they don't exhaust their heat to the outside of the case. My CoolerMaster Cases would probably not be affected since they already move so much air around.

My brother has the 4890 Cyclone and the internal system temps aren't that much higher at all than a rear exhausting 4890.  He has the Antec 200 which has the basic 120mm front intake and rear 120 exhaust, although he does mount the power supply with the intake fan facing upward (Antec 200 has bottom mounted PSU but it has to exhaust holes for the bottom) so that might be helping with the system temps a bit.

The best improvement they did with the new Cyclones is that the masive heatsink doesn't block the SLI/Crossfire connectors anymore.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator

crowTrobot:
My brother has the 4890 Cyclone and the internal system temps aren't that much higher at all than a rear exhausting 4890.  He has the Antec 200 which has the basic 120mm front intake and rear 120 exhaust, although he does mount the power supply with the intake fan facing upward (Antec 200 has bottom mounted PSU but it has to exhaust holes for the bottom) so that might be helping with the system temps a bit.

The best improvement they did with the new Cyclones is that the masive heatsink doesn't block the SLI/Crossfire connectors anymore.

I don't see two of the Cyclone 460's together being a problem in a good case with adequate cooling in place, but in a case that's not designed so well, (and many of them are out there) the fact that they don't exhaust the heat out of the back of the case may matter.

(Mark Twain)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 153
Points 1,705

Don't count me out guys and gals I have had PC problems but I am not giving up. I wanna win this set up!!!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 2,025
Optix replied on Wed, Sep 8 2010 7:26 AM

A Three Hundred should do just peachy.  I know mine removes a TON of air out the top of the case with the 140mm fan on the low setting.  The fact that I have all of the fan slots filled with after market high CFM/low noise fans doesn't hurt either.

I think I shorted my keyboard after drooling over that motherboard though.  What a monster!  I have been following MSI's offerings ever since they seemed to have stepped up their game to keep up with Gigabyte.  Big Bang, Trinergy...even their budget offerings are pretty sound.  I'm really impressed at the quality of boards for those of us who still have to pay their rent, car payments, grocery bills, etc.

Sorry I'm so late to the party on this one.  Family life is keeping me busy.  I'm a computer geek that likes to sit in one spot for long periods of time (my wife says I may have been a rock in a former life) so keeping up with a 1 and a half year old is hard!

Intel i3 530 @ 4.2Ghz/Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3/2x2GB G.Skill Eco & 2x2GB Kingston Blu @ 1520mhz, Coolit Vantage C240

Sapphire 6850 Toxic Edition, Mushkin Calisto Deluxe 60GB, Western Digital 640GB Caviar Black, Western Digital Scorpio Black 200GB (Vantec NexStar3 enclosure)

LG GH22LS50 DVD Writer, Ultra X4 850w PSU

Lian Li PC-P50WB

Slave to technology.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator

Optix:
I have been following MSI's offerings ever since they seemed to have stepped up their game to keep up with Gigabyte.

Always like their Platinum Series Mainboards in the past. They had a lot of features built in to them.

Optix:
A Three Hundred should do just peachy.

I agree, that's a nice case.

(Mark Twain)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 2,025
Optix replied on Wed, Sep 8 2010 10:41 AM

MSI's Platinum series was great.  Out of my price range but great.  Their 790GX board was awesome!  A friend had one and I always drooled over it.  Oddly enough the thing that I always liked the most was the right angle SATA connectors.  Beefy video cards and small cases always made connecting drives a pain.  If it had have supported DDR3 it likely would have been my board but that coupled with the killer deal I got on my H55M made me stay with Intel.

Intel i3 530 @ 4.2Ghz/Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3/2x2GB G.Skill Eco & 2x2GB Kingston Blu @ 1520mhz, Coolit Vantage C240

Sapphire 6850 Toxic Edition, Mushkin Calisto Deluxe 60GB, Western Digital 640GB Caviar Black, Western Digital Scorpio Black 200GB (Vantec NexStar3 enclosure)

LG GH22LS50 DVD Writer, Ultra X4 850w PSU

Lian Li PC-P50WB

Slave to technology.

Page 4 of 10 (380 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS