Flight Simulator Set to Soar Again

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,181
Points 1,185,815
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Aug 18 2010 11:05 PM
The future of Microsoft's acclaimed and beloved Flight Simulator product has been up in the air since early in 2009, when layoffs hit Flight Simulator staff. In fact, there hadn't been a refresh of the franchise since 2006. Until now.

On Tuesday, Microsoft announced the latest revision of the game, dropping the "Simulator" portion of the name as well as any reference to numbering. Much as with movies like "Batman Begins" the name implies a reboot of the series, but not all the way back to the original days where you might fly a Sopwith Camel in B/W (as in the first Flight Simulator). Microsoft also added there will be an online component to the new game through Windows Live.

In the past, Flight Simulator has been accurate to the point that private pilot-wanna-be's would train with it. We know of at least two acquaintances who did so. It's unclear if the new game will be so accurate, or will be more of, well, a game. Here's all Microsoft has said so far, via a press release:
"Twenty-eight years after the debut of Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.0, Microsoft Game Studios also announced the internal development of Microsoft Flight, a new Windows exclusive. Microsoft Flight will bring a new perspective to the long-standing genre, welcoming everyone, including long-time fans, to experience the magic of flight."
Watch a teaser trailer on the new game:

• | Post Points: 95
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Mahen23 replied on Thu, Aug 19 2010 2:31 AM

typo error: tyhe

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Thu, Aug 19 2010 6:07 AM

... That was a fast trailer... Didn't even show much :(... I would like to get a flight simulator game though.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345
sackyhack replied on Thu, Aug 19 2010 6:15 AM

I was never a big fan. I remember trying one a few years ago and not even being able to get off the runway. But I hope they don't try to dumb it down and make it arcady for mass-appeal and alienate the people who stuck with the franchise (unless arcade mode is an extra on top of the sim aspects. in that case all the more power to them).

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

All the flight sim games were fun to a point.... I could never land any of the small planes, which i might add i can do in real life. The most fun was just flying around looking at the scenery. 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Thu, Aug 19 2010 7:15 PM

The most fun is seeing if you can roll at last second so that you fly through the support cables of the Golden Gate bridge without tearing your wings off.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Why does everyone keep calling "flight simulator" a game? It is NOT a game any more than Starry Night or Real Flight -- both $300.00+ products, or even a typing tutor. In fact, flying schools use FSX to teach students radio navigation and how to navigate airports (ground control), get them familiar with ATC, ILS, IFR navigation, etc. When I brought my son to a flying school at Dupage Airport for his first introductory flight, the first thing they had him do in the orientation class is to familiarize himself using FSX. They routinely use FSX for their regular classes to teach students. We now have FS2004 and FSX, which we use all the time to learn stuff; -- and which I have invested $100's in add-ons. So, it is NOT a game, it is a SIMULATOR that actually teaches!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Everything looks better in the cinematics! I would be impressed if they were able to acieve that look within a DX11 enviroment?

Having played every version, I am sure I wont miss this one! I just hope that their Helicopter simulations are better in this version! That is one area that they have always been a little behind on. For training they only tend to have the most minimal controls they feel they can get away with. Most aircraft you can dowload almost a fully simulated cockpit and do even better when paired with proper control emulators. Yet the choppers always tend to be simplified?

Either way I will be waiting to see what this next generation brings!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Fri, Aug 20 2010 12:53 PM

WOOT flight simulator is back. so going to buy this once i find out i can preorder it.Was told flight simulator ended creating games, but glad to see the game is back.

Also i woulda made the trailer so much cooler. Maybe show some carriers having planes land and take off, or show a stunt plane race close up.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS