Computer doesn't start at all (motherboard problem?)

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 70
biggles1000 Posted: Sat, Aug 14 2010 8:19 AM

I recently bought some new bits for my computer, being;

• A second hand motherboard (Gigabyte GA-85649MF Motherboard)
  • A new graphics card (Nvidia 8400GS, 512MB)
  • A new 200GB IDE Hard Drive

I swapped the motherboard, put the new hard drive in the bay and put the graphics card in the PCI-e slot. The system specs were now:

• 2GB RAM
  • 512MB Graphics Memory
  • 3.06GHz Intel Celeron D
  • 80GB IDE Hard Drive
  • 200GB IDE Hard Drive

I had to buy an ATX converter (20 pin to 24 pin), but that was the only hardware problem I seemed to have. I plugged the power cable in, the PSU fan started and the computer beeped (the motherboard is at http://bit.ly/ebaymotherboard) and kept repetitively beeping. I then pulled the power cable out (at this point I had not realised that the CPU exhaust was the only CPU fan, and I hadn't connected it yet. That would explain the hot metal smell). I then swapped the new graphics card for the one that came with the motherboard (as you can see on the ebay page, all that is known about it is that there is a sticker that says elephant). I plugged the power cable back in, and it started! It showed the Fujitsu-Siemens screen (it was from one of those), displayed some text and said system start up disk not present. I assumed that was fine as I had not yet connected either of the Hard Drives yet. I pulled the power cable out again and connected one and the DVD drive. I then realised the smell of hot metal and realised my fan error and plugged that in. I then plugged the power cable back in and all that happened was a small noise and the keyboard lights flashed. Then nothing. I removed the BIOS battery and then put it back in. I also did the same with the ATX cable, but still nothing happened apart from the keyboard lights flashed and a small noise. I do not have any more large amounts of money available to spend on the computer, but I do need it working. I hope someone can help! Thanks in advance :)

p.s. nothing is displayed on my monitor now either

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,102
Points 38,250
acarzt replied on Sat, Aug 14 2010 2:29 PM

I'm having a little trouble figuring out the order of events here...

You put the card n and got no display and constant beeps...

Swapped vid card and then got a display?

Then you connected the DVD drive and got a fan error?

Was the CPU fan unplugged?

You could have fried you CPU.

How many watts is the PSU? (it should say on the side of it)

Also... if you do get it running, be prepared to reinstall your operating system.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 70

1. Correct

2.Correct

3. Connected DVD and hard drive, small clunk noise and keyboard lights flash, nothing else happens (not even fan spinning)

4. (above)

5. oh dear :(

6. 180W Max. (230V) PSU from the tower I put the parts into, originally from 2001

btw, when it actually started (plugged in #2) I plugged the hard drive in and it made noises suggesting it was receiving power, then I pulled the plug and plugged in the dvd drive as well as it hadn't recognised the hard drive's presence.

thanks   

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,102
Points 38,250
acarzt replied on Mon, Aug 23 2010 6:28 PM

Do you have the jumpers set correctly on the hard drives?

Also that is a pretty weak PSU and as old as it is, it has probably gone bad.

Also, did you plug in the 4 pin power connector on the motherboard?

If no, that is why you're not getting any video...

That connector is what give power to the PCI-E slot.

As old as that PSU is, it might not have that connector

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,435

That definatly is a weak OS definatly look into that hope that helps.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,435

biggles1000:
had not realised that the CPU exhaust was the only CPU fan, and I hadn't connected it yet. That would explain the hot metal smell).

This comment would have been an immeadiate concern because it doent take long to smoke a cpu! Then the fact it was second hand. I would be looking at this problem!

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 655
hitech replied on Sat, Sep 4 2010 3:47 AM
There is a tip to find about the motherboard. Do you get a small beep after the first BIOS screen? It is burnt if there is not any beep.
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS