Apple Magic Trackpad Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,421
Points 1,193,215
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Aug 6 2010 11:51 AM

Apple Magic Trackpad ReviewApple's CEO Steve Jobs has a history of showcasing new Apple hardware on stage, generally during one of their highly watched press conferences at WWDC or elsewhere. This gives Steve the chance to demonstrate a new product in front of millions watching around the Web, so that everyone "gets" what a new device is for. In fact, we cannot recall the last time Apple introduced a completely new piece of hardware without showcasing it first. But that is exactly what has occurred with the Magic Trackpad...

Apple Magic Trackpad Review

• | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 102
Points 1,315

I found the first two paragraphs -- chronicling Apple's strings of successes followed by iPhone4 criticisms -- largely irrelevant and altogether unnecessary considering this is a review.  Moreover, I wouldn't say the lack of an event to announce this device isn't altogether "strange"; it's an accessory, not a product line. Sure, in a similar vein, the magic mouse announced at a conference, but that was in conjunction with a redesign of the iMac.  How superfluous would it have been to hold an event for this $69 accessory?  Very.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,635
Points 55,285
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Aug 6 2010 3:46 PM

Nice, thanks for the kind words. I think our editor was just providing backdrop. Also, it was noted that Jobs was holding an event to discuss things like the iPhone 4 issue, new Mac/iMacs etc and could have easily rolled this out then too.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 102
Points 1,315

Hi Dave,

My comment probably came across harsher than I intended.  In general, I appreciate the backdrop present in the articles and reviews on the site. I just think that, in this case, it would have sufficed to start the article with the 3rd paragraph that mentions the peculiarity that the trackpad became available with little more than a press release.  I don't see the need to connect this with Apple's product history and "antennagate" unless the author is suggesting that Apple is rethinking their entire approach to marketing on the weight of a $69 accessory becoming available without fanfare.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Sat, Aug 7 2010 9:33 AM

Seems pointless to buy when you could get a sick gaming mouse for same price.But that is just me, some people might like touch pads.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, Aug 8 2010 11:44 PM

>> some people might like touch pads.

Yes, very "special" people.

I can't think of any function this product serves that existing desktop products don't fill better, and at a better price. It may be a marvelously engineered product... but a marvelously engineered spear is still just a spear.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 655
hitech replied on Sat, Sep 18 2010 5:17 AM

That is really great product. Any other article about this product?

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 90

it is a great version it is not costly and have lots of function.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Mon, Oct 4 2010 10:50 PM

WHAT? this is just another shitty over priced apple product. I would not replace my os with mac so i can use a product that will not help for gaming or traveling.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Yeah I really don't understand this at all. Touchpads are bad. People buy mice for there laptops so they don't have to use them. Heck people buy Lenovo Thinkpads just so they don't have to use them. Why on earth would you wanna use one on the desktop over a mouse is beyond me. Then again apple is known for the bad mice they come out with, so why not continue the trend.

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 290
Papapak replied on Sat, Feb 12 2011 5:05 PM

i tried this thing at my university's store and it was awesome, awesome for an imac at least., it is big enough to be efficiently using photoshop and effectively :D

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Sun, Feb 13 2011 4:02 AM

Now if they included the capability to use a stylus as a tablet that would have been pretty cool for editing photos. If that was  the case and compatible with Win at 70.00 maybe useful overall.

looks like more iFodder for the iSheep

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Someone like myself used to the macbook track pad, this might be more convenient than a mouse--because I use my macbook so much, I have all these memorized routines about how to do things. So now that I'm considering buying a desktop, I might get the track pad.

Also, there is a right click--you put two fingers down at once. There's also a scroll wheel--you move two fingers up or down along the pad.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS