Desktop Problem

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 50
kalebaha Posted: Wed, Aug 4 2010 11:30 AM

Im pretty stupid when it comes to things about computers.
i know a little bit but this is just beyond me i dont know if its a hardware problem software problem or what.

But i reformatted and reinstalled Windows xp Home SP2 due to virus problem, sumhow got a virus and it $#@^#@ over my computer and i wasnt able to access internet, download nearly anything, or even system restore... so i reinstalled the windows and thought that i will just start all over again,

but wen i tried to set up internet nothing would work...still... i went to device manager and said that everything was working except: Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, RAID Controller, RAID Controller.

They all show yellow bubble with exclamation mark in them and i try update, reinstall and watever but i cant cause no internet... i have no othr CDs other than the windows xp home SP2 disk.

i know my computer works with my internet cause it was working... before the virus.
i dont know much about the desktop because my dad is the person who gave it to me and always messed with it.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 24,270
digitaldd replied on Wed, Aug 4 2010 11:54 AM

You need to find drivers for the hardware that isn't working..

Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, RAID Controller, RAID Controller.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,071
Points 37,990
acarzt replied on Fri, Aug 6 2010 2:22 AM

If you have a drivers disk that came with the computer, use that to install the drivers. Otherwise download the drivers from the computer manufacturers website, burn them to a cd or copy to a thumb drive and install them that way.

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Thu, Aug 19 2010 9:45 PM

Basically, as the guys before me were saying:  Windows didn't come with drivers for those particular components of your motherboard (Because your motherboard is probably newer than XP!  <g>).

The first, best, thing to do would be to try to download the Windows drivers from the manufacturers' website.

You could also try booting a Linux LiveCD.  That would at least get you connected to the internet so that you could download the Windows drivers (in case you don't have another computer in the immediate vicinity), and also proves that your motherboard hasn't developed a hardware problem that's broken your ethernet.  Linux has the drivers built into the kernel, so it should just work without need to install anything to the actual hard drive.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS