EU Wants All Phones To Use Same Charger...By Next Year

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,722
Points 1,208,940
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Aug 2 2010 8:33 AM
One charger to rule them all? That's the idea, at least. We have heard conversation back-and-forth over this matter for some time now, with certain entities feeling that a single charging standard for all mobile phones would benefit the consumer greatly. Of course, ideas such as these are always easier stated than accomplished, but there's nothing wrong with lofty goals.

And as we have seen in the past, the European Commission usually gets what the European Commission wants. Case in point: these guys and girls felt that Microsoft had a leg-up on the competition in the Browser space, so they required all copies of Windows to include a Browser selection window. And so it was.

Now, the European Commission wants the vast majority of phones sold in their region to use the same universal charger. As early as next year. That's right, next year! The European Commission clearly doesn't have time to waste with spokesman Dennis Abbott saying the following: "It is expected that consumers will be able to use the same, one-size-fits-all charger ... from the beginning of 2011."

According to the entity, having a charger that is universal in design will "make life much simpler for EU consumers," and should produce "very significant environmental benefits by reducing the number of unnecessary chargers and introducing higher energy efficiency standards." Wilder still, it's said that the proposal is even being backed by a number of high-ranking phone makers, including Apple, Nokia, Motorola, RIM, Samsung and LG. Would Apple really support a charging port that's not their Dock Connector? We're doubtful, but we'll see.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,929
Points 24,760
digitaldd replied on Mon, Aug 2 2010 10:16 AM

USB Mini or USB Micro please.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Points 1,365
Schmich replied on Mon, Aug 2 2010 10:51 AM

I wish they agreed on one wall-plug as well. All new devices have to come with the standard plug AND an adapter to whatever country its sold. As time passes people would change the wall-plugs and in 10-20years the problems with adapters would be a thing of the past...

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

SO.... alot of Chinese and Mexico multi-plug teams will be losing their jobs:P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Mon, Aug 2 2010 4:19 PM

Most cell phones already use USB, so it would be the Logical choice :-P

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 656
Points 5,955

Not merely phone chargers, but also those for laptops, netbooks, etc, should be standardised. It's a real pain having to switch chargers every time I want to update my various laptops - creating a viable standard shouldn't be beyond the reach of human ingenuity, nor should enforcing standards - even against Apple ! - be beyond the purview of governments....

Henri

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Tue, Aug 3 2010 9:03 AM

if i lose my charger i can now just steal some one elses..I mean borrow some one elses.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,929
Points 24,760

acarzt:

Most cell phones already use USB, so it would be the Logical choice :-P

Then we can get these instead of surge suppressors.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 656
Points 5,955

Love that argument, fat78 - you mean to tell us that it has been with our own interests at heart that these manufacturers have made it difficult to use the same charger to charge different makes of mobile phones ? Theft-prevention by hassling users ? In that case, why not make it illegal to own and operate a mobile phone unless one can prove with a receipt and all that one is i legitimaten possession of the requisite charger and thereby does not pose a threat to the general public ?...

Henri

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS