HomePlug AV2 Specifications Promises 5x Speed Increase

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,155
Points 1,185,205
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Aug 1 2010 4:56 PM
In general, we don't complain about upgrades or revisions. In almost every case, moving forward means bettering something for the consumer, and the HomePlug standard is one standard that we absolutely are thrilled to see moving forward. Version 1 never really caught on, largely due to high prices, lackluster reviews and a bunch of other options (Wi-Fi, for example) useful for transferring content.

HomePlug has just revealed their AV2 specification, which promises to support "Gigabit-class Powerline Networking" while greatly boosting the speed at which transmissions take place. The HomePlug Powerline Alliance seems rather proud about the new spec, which will be fully interoperable with current HomePlug AV and future HomePlug Green PHY and IEEE 1901 products.

The key spec updates are listed below, but the big one is here: it's expected to deliver a 5x increase in performance over current HomePlug AV solutions at the application layer to offer significant improvements in whole home coverage to guarantee reliable delivery of throughput intensive applications such as multiple streams of 1080p HD video (and emerging 3D and 4K HD) broadband Internet, Internet gaming and security camera video over existing electrical wiring.

We won't see the spec fully finalized until Q1 2011, with devices to pop up shortly thereafter, but at least we know things are well on their way.

"Powerline networking between modems and set-top boxes is being used today by many broadband service providers to reduce capital expenses and support costs associated with delivering new triple play and IPTV services,” said Kurt Scherf, vice president, principal analyst, Parks Associates. "More than 50 operator/service providers have deployed HomePlug AV powerline networking solutions as a means to expand services. These providers require a migration path to a much higher performance powerline technology to meet future bandwidth demands while maintaining interoperability with their current HomePlug AV installations and future IEEE1901 products."

Major powerline enhancements the TWG selected for inclusion in the developing HomePlug AV2 specification include:
    •   MIMO (Multiple-Inputs Multiple-Outputs) offers significant increases in link throughput and range without requiring additional spectrum or transmit power. MIMO allows the data signal to propagate from multiple outputs to multiple inputs implementing advanced transmission coding schemes which will increase capacity and enable more reliable and expanded home coverage. This is similar to the 802.11n and 802.16e which use MIMO solutions with wireless products to extend performance.
    •   Increased MAC (Medium Access Control) efficiencies that lower overhead and expand throughput
    •   Increased operating spectrum: the specification will expand operations into an additional spectrum, up to an order of magnitude beyond current powerline technology. This increased bandwidth will further improve performance.
    •   Extending coverage via repeating and routing technology in networks of three or more nodes

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,105
Points 38,225
acarzt replied on Sun, Aug 1 2010 5:58 PM

What was the original speed? 5 times faster isn't very impressive if the original speed was 1Kbps lol

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670

LOL i would like to know the original speed as well. but i got a number of 200Mbps from google, not sure if its correct or not.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,105
Points 38,225
acarzt replied on Sun, Aug 1 2010 11:46 PM

I've been seeing 85-200.... which would make these pretty quick... not bad!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

YesSo if this promises to be a big boost like the jump to T1 or CAT5 then this could be exciting! especially when it comes down to streaming content over you home network! Even something cool like using the other computers in the house as a render farm without any loss of data?

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,105
Points 38,225
acarzt replied on Mon, Aug 2 2010 4:50 AM

Well it would be a great alternative to running cable... tho personally I think i'd rather run the cable :-)

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 90
mrlarry replied on Mon, Aug 2 2010 11:41 AM

this would be great , plug and play . no cables running along the floor or drilling through the walls to route cables only to have to reroute again when you change rooms or move computers . 5 x nothing is nothing , give us a hint , are we going to be in the mb range or dial up ?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 2,780

*puts on conspiracy cap

This will make it easier for the government to spy on you...lol not that the internet isn't already easy enough...

I like the idea though. No more extra wires!

Current computer:

Asus G73JH-A1

Core i7 720QM

Mobility Radeon 5870 1GBVRAM

8GB Ram

1 X OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

1 X 500GB HDD

17.3FHD (1080P) Panel

Blu Ray Drive (reader)

HDMI Out

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS