Bose Flies High with New A20 Aviation Headset

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,357
Points 1,191,620
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jul 28 2010 9:47 AM
If you think PC gamers have an expensive hobby, well, you're right, but holy moly do those $150 headphones feel like Blue Light specials compared to the new Bose A20 Aviation Headset, the latest pair of earbuds aimed at pilots. These things run $1,095, or $995 without the the Bluetooth mobile phone connectivity feature thrown into the mix.

So what does this have to do with PCs? Nothing really, but we're suckers for technology, and the A20s have that in spades. And if we're to believe Bose, the A20 is the "most advanced aviation headset ever." Ever!? Part of the reason Bose makes that claim is because the A20s come equipped a new way of battling noise reduction. As Bose explains it, a proprietary drives works in tandem with a pair of mics placed both inside and outside the earcup to better sense, measure, and silence cockpit noise on the fly.

"Since introducing the industry's first active noise reduction headset in 1989, we've continued our aviation research with a very specific goal: to improve the flying experience for pilots," said Sean Garrett, general manager of the Bose Noise Reduction Technology Group. "With the A20 headset, several proprietary technologies work together to deliver a combination of benefits that wasn't available until today."

One of those proprietary features Bose is so big on is a new ear cushion technology and new earcup design to keep those nasty outside sound waves from seeping in, while still allowing more room for your ears.

The A20 headset comes with an optional Bluetooth communications interface with a new portable control module. Bose says its integrated sidetone technology allows pilots to hear themselves clearly when the headset is disconnected from the aircraft. There's also an auxiliary input that allows users to connect the headset via a 3.5mm adapter to an external power source, like a portable GPS or traffic warning system. Groovy.

These U.S. made earbuds are available now at select authorized Bose dealers, Bose retail stores, through Bose's website, or by calling Bose at 1-800-242-9008. Airplane not included.
  • | Post Points: 170
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Hey marco get me a Pair and I'll test them for you... I have some $400 David Clarks at the moment...lol

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,108
Points 38,255
acarzt replied on Wed, Jul 28 2010 4:41 PM

Wow.... I can't imagine EVER spending that much money on head phones!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Wed, Jul 28 2010 4:48 PM

LOL, i would love to test them as well... :D. That price tag blows me away form it though... that thing cost more then my computer!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Wed, Jul 28 2010 5:14 PM

airliner pilots dont even get paid much any more and airliners are to cheap to pay for headset that cost 1000$. so only pilot hobbyist might be willing to buy these.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

good head sets for aircraft start around 600 or so. 1k might seem like a bit much but they totally worth it. 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 355
until240 replied on Wed, Jul 28 2010 9:18 PM

Don't be dense. Bose is the biggest scam in the audio equipment industry. They even managed to scam the USAF with their headset contract.

BTW, this may hit a little too close to home, but do you guys ( at HH) ever give non-positive reviews? I understand that remaining in the good graces of manufacturers so you can keep testing new stuff is important, but just wondering.

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 355
until240 replied on Wed, Jul 28 2010 9:20 PM

I realize the above may seem a bit harsh, but this is not intended to be an attack.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Wed, Jul 28 2010 10:08 PM

Until, what do you mean by negative reviews? i also believe this is only a news post as well.

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 355
until240 replied on Wed, Jul 28 2010 10:47 PM

I've found that with many blogs/news aggregators/magazines that the editors/reviewers are loathe to give bad reviews for products. Why? Because they are worried that manufacturers will pull advertising and/or deny them access to new products/press releases.

Will HH take a stand if or when the time comes? Realistically, probably not. Everyone is trying to make a living, which is why magazines have long since caved to advertiser pressure. And also why they are not worth the paper they're printed on.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,108
Points 38,255
acarzt replied on Wed, Jul 28 2010 11:02 PM

This is just a news post.. not a review lol

Also, yes Bose products are way over priced. But they do make some nice stuff.

And, HH gives their opinion and at the end of the review they post pros and cons.

I don't really seem the reviews as positive or negative... just an opinion.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Jul 28 2010 11:06 PM

until240, so you're saying that blogs would rather give everything good reviews then to be critical and give them a fair review?

Have you looked at many of the reviews, a lot of them don't get 10's or 9's or 8's or even 7's. Most review sites give a fair and honest review and I think you're exaggerating the whole thing. So what if they "think" that a manufacturer will pull advertising or not deny then any products. If they were threatened directly to give a positive review then it might be believable but I don't know, right now this is blown out of proportions.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 355
until240 replied on Wed, Jul 28 2010 11:12 PM

Look. I'm not here to convince you of my views. I was asked to explain myself, and I did.

This is not some conspiracy theory as you seem to view it.

Also, you did not seem to catch the part where I was referring to reviewers in general. Not just HH. Oh. And wow! A 7 even. Geez. These guys are tough.

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 355
until240 replied on Wed, Jul 28 2010 11:23 PM

TaylorKarras:

P.S. It's called "access journalism." Look it up.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Jul 28 2010 11:24 PM

until240:

Look. I'm not here to convince you of my views. I was asked to explain myself, and I did.

This is not some conspiracy theory as you seem to view it.

Also, you did not seem to catch the part where I was referring to reviewers in general. Not just HH. Oh. And wow! A 7 even. Geez. These guys are tough.

Well not all reviewers are what you believe them to be, list one website where ALL of their reviews are positive, even for a critically panned item.

I know this is not a conspiracy theory but you're post sounded as if reviewers would bow down to any imaginary demands, note the word imaginary.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Jul 28 2010 11:31 PM

until240:

TaylorKarras:

P.S. It's called "access journalism." Look it up.

"access journalism" applies to news articles but I have hardly ever seen where it applies when it comes to "product reviews".

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 355
until240 replied on Wed, Jul 28 2010 11:44 PM

Alright. I give up.

Like I said, I'm not here to argue. I was only hoping to hear HH's stance.

I never said EVERYONE was like this. Please read carefully. There is no reading between the lines to be done.

And off the top of my head...

Examples of bowing to corporate pressure:

-anyone who wants access to Apple (the very definition of access journalism, btw)

-Car and Driver

-MotorTrend

-the infamous "Blowing the Lid Off"

Still honest, until proven otherwise:

-What HiFi? (refuses to review Bose)

-Consumer Report

-don't remember any more right now

Please. Let's move on. I will not respond anymore.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Thu, Jul 29 2010 1:17 AM

Seems odd this guy keeps responding if he dosnt want to argue.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Jul 29 2010 1:20 AM

fat78:

Seems odd this guy keeps responding if he dosnt want to argue.

Stop stating out the obvious please, it doesn't do much good.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Jul 29 2010 1:26 AM

until240:
-anyone who wants access to Apple (the very definition of access journalism, btw)

Then all Apple products would recieve all pros and no cons. Tell me, in any Apple review of a product, do you see a "con" section.

until240:

-Car and Driver

-MotorTrend

Do you have any other proof except the fact that you just read from an article and decided it sounded like an advertisement. If you've actually looked, they actually have people talking about what they like about the car and what they don't like.

until240:
-the infamous "Blowing the Lid Off"

I have never heard of that site, what are you referring too.

Unless you have any more examples of "bowing to corporate pressure", your argument is invalid and one-sided. I've been to many computer review sites and even then don't I see them bowing down to corporate pressure.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,108
Points 38,255
acarzt replied on Thu, Jul 29 2010 1:49 AM

You would have to try really hard to get a negative review.

If you have a product that does everything it was supposed to do.... it's not going to get a bad review.

If it doesn't do half of the stuff it was supposed to do... it's gonna get a bad review.

I haven't read any reviews on here where the product was not performing as advertise and they give it a good review. That doesn't happen.

The things they review tend to perform as advertised.

Have you seen any articles that were undeservingly given a good review?

Also, i've seen plenty of articles on Car &Driver where they are bad mouthing a car for it's short comings.

They seem to have a boner for beemers tho... but if you've ever driven one... it becomes clear why( as far as their suspension is concerned).

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

ROFLMAO!!!!

""Until420"" Has really been smokin to much at the netroots conference:P

Then again Taylor loves it:P

These Bose are definitely aimed towards the aviation industry at that price. If you can afford a plane you sure can afford these! I am sure Gore has five sets while he is flying around in all his private jets, causing more Greenhouse gasses going to all his mansions with limos. While he tells you to conserve:P

These are some very nice features for any pilot!

I know Y'all hate capitalism:P Even though that is what provides you with all the products made by the companies you hate! But Hot Hardware does a really good job of providing fair and non-biased reviews of all the products we have seen on this site. SO, you cant just come on and within a couple days say they are not providing fair reviews. If you feel so bad, then put down the bong and have your significant other take a dump on your chest then rub a cigarette in and tell you how bad you have been:p

I love this site because they give fair technical reviews, and leave it up to us to provide the negative criticisms! SO take that negativity to the political sites. Because, if you think you are educated...Then you know nothing!!

Because this site is all about technology and all the new Hot Hardware!!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance