PS3 Class Action Lawsuit

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 Posted: Sat, Jul 24 2010 11:57 AM

Well, it looks like it's finally happening:  http://mdpcelaw.com/news.cfm?article=128

All owners of the original "Fat" PS3 will be eligible for any compensation in the event we win, without need to do anything further.  I really have a hard time seeing how we won't win - though the lawyers will win the most.

If you're like me, a PS3 owner that's very upset with Sony's crippling of our tech-toy, you might want to head over to the linked site anyway and send a note to the email address in the announcement.  I gave them an earful of ammunition about my own experiences and how this removal has extremely de-valued the console in my eyes.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Jul 24 2010 12:35 PM

3vi1:

Well, it looks like it's finally happening:  http://mdpcelaw.com/news.cfm?article=128

All owners of the original "Fat" PS3 will be eligible for any compensation in the event we win, without need to do anything further.  I really have a hard time seeing how we won't win - though the lawyers will win the most.

If you're like me, a PS3 owner that's very upset with Sony's crippling of our tech-toy, you might want to head over to the linked site anyway and send a note to the email address in the announcement.  I gave them an earful of ammunition about my own experiences and how this removal has extremely de-valued the console in my eyes.

I forgot about that. Though it's nice to see they did this on April 30th, the main question is whether this trial went through or did they just dismiss it (aka throw it away). Cause I'd be upset if one person worked so hard on a lawsuit just to have it tossed away.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 342
Points 4,510
slugbug replied on Sat, Jul 24 2010 12:35 PM

Score one for the little guy.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,109
Points 38,260
acarzt replied on Sat, Jul 24 2010 6:07 PM

How about some refunds???  :-P

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, Jul 24 2010 10:58 PM

acarzt:

How about some refunds???  :-P

That's the best we can hope for.  What we'll probably get are coupons that give Sony a slightly decreased profit when we use them to buy new games.  :\

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,109
Points 38,260
acarzt replied on Sun, Jul 25 2010 3:57 AM

Very weak... They should just release it as an optional patch to add support for "Other OS" and give a disclaimer saying you're on your own if you break it.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Sun, Jul 25 2010 3:40 PM

LOL, that would be soo funny if they said "You're on your own if you break it " xD

But, ya that would of been a good path to go with instead of all these trouble and lawsuits. I mean, they won't be losing any thing if they did that...

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345
sackyhack replied on Sun, Jul 25 2010 6:25 PM

Well the whole point of removing it, in their view, was to avoid the possibility of hacking and custom OSs which could lead to piracy.  So if they left its removal as optional, then hackers and pirates would've just said "lol no thanks".  I don't think they made the right choice by decreasing the value of something customers already paid for, but I also don't think this class action lawsuit is going to help the people who were truly hurt by its removal because there's gonna be a flood of people joining it even though they'd never touch linux even once.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS