HP Slate Confirmed As Real, But Will Ship First To Enterprise

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,882
Points 1,116,835
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jul 23 2010 10:04 AM
And with that, the mystery is solved. Well, at least we think the mystery is solved. This story goes a long way back, all the way to CES 2010. At that show, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer came out onto a stage with an HP-branded tablet PC, which was simply called the "HP Slate" at the time. But then, no one saw or heard from it again. As the months passed, the iPad soared in popularity and just about every other computer maker announced a slate or two, HP remained quiet.

And then HP purchased Palm. People immediately began to suspect that the HP Slate was being delayed in order to get WebOS (Palm's mobile operating system) onto the device, which would make it the first WebOS Slate in existence. Eventually, HP did decide to speak out about the product, and rumors began to fly that it would eventually ship with Windows 7, that it would be killed completely, or that it would once again resurface as a WebOS-equipped product.

Now, the truth has finally been revealed. During an interview with Fortune this week, HP Personal Systems Group VP Todd Bradley stated that the Slate we have all been wondering about will be "more customer-specific than broadly deployed" and that HP would begin shipping the Microsoft-equipped (which means Windows 7, we suspect) product to enterprise customers in the fall. So, there's good news and bad news here. The good news is that the HP Slate lives, but the bad news is that it may never actually be sold to mere consumers. It's strange to think that HP would announce the Slate at a consumer electronics show, only to convert it into an enterprise device once they have our attention. But who knows; maybe the Slate with Windows 7 became the enterprise slate once WebOS was picked up via Palm. So now, we wait for a WebOS tablet for the consumer, right? Here's hoping...
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Jul 23 2010 1:34 PM

So, first it's promoted as a tablet for the masses, then it's promoted for an enterprise market?

I'm wondering? Is the future of Windows Tablets destined for enterprise or business use? I mean if Apple and Android OS are taking a hold of the tablet market then that leaves Microsoft the enterprise market because Windows has a large amount of applications going back to 1995 and many of them are what businesses use.

So now we got two tablets, home tablets and business tablets. While I would of liked to see Windows on a home tablet, I guess we'll never see that happen.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Whats a car rental company going to do with the Slate?

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance