Is Apple's iPhone Headed to T-Mobile?

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,748
Points 1,210,330
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Jul 22 2010 9:50 AM
The raging rumor that just won't die is that Apple's iPhone is destined for Verizon, no matter what AT&T's exclusivity agreement says. But as long as Apple is supposedly seeking greener pastures, why stop there? Why not, say, T-Mobile as well? As it turns out, T-Mobile might be exactly where the iPhone is headed, at least if the latest Internet chatter holds any water.

Citing an anonymous "highly placed source at the wireless company," (as if there's ever any source other than 'anonymous' and 'highly placed'), Cult of Mac reports that it's almost a foregone conclusion that Apple and T-Mobile are going to hook up.

"Talks between Apple and T-Mobile are at an advanced stage, our source says, and it's 80 percent likely that the iPhone will be coming to T-Mobile in Q3," Cult of Mac reports.

The third quarter is just around the corner, and as hot and heavy as the Verizon rumors have been for the past several months, the front-running wireless carrier wasn't expected to get its hands on Apple's prized possession until the first quarter of 2011. Could T-Mobile really swoop in from seemingly nowhere and score a major win for itself?

"Most pundits expect Apple to add Verizon Wireless, the nation's largest mobile phone provider with 92.8 million subscribers," Cult of Mac explains. "The major problem is hardware: Verizon's network is based on incompatible CDMA technology. AT&T and T-Mobile are the two primary GSM carriers in the U.S., and the iPhone wouldn't require major hardware changes. Indeed, many T-Mobile customers already use unlocked iPhones on the company's network."

Cult of Mac brings up a valid point, but there is some question as to whether or not the iPhone 4 would work on T-Mobile's network. T-Mobile's 3G network operates on the 1700/2100MHz bands, and while Apple did add the 2100MHz band to the iPhone 4's spec sheet (not present on the iPhone 3GS), there's no listing of the 1700MHz.

Well documented iPhone 4 issues aside, which network would you rather see the iPhone migrate to, T-Mobile or Verizon?
  • | Post Points: 155
Not Ranked
Posts 65
Points 800
dizowned replied on Thu, Jul 22 2010 10:59 AM

If it makes at&t stop complaining about the data usage i dont care who gets the business.

In fact what needs to happen is everyone switch over to LTE and be done with it...

On a more practical note, since at&t constantly complains and can barely keep up with the device requirements they should be in breavh of contract and the iphone should have been open to other networks, if given the choice id drop the differrent sims in the phone and whomever gave me consistantly better QoS would earn my business ... as it should be in a free market

Its very stupid to be locked into one provider, I wouldn

It's not custom unless your the only one who can boot it.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 155
avalen replied on Thu, Jul 22 2010 11:32 AM

i agree with diz, it is always stupid to be locked into one provider. furthermore, it's stupid for a company to lock it's best product to date to one provider - especially one known to have one of the poorest QoS in the industry. i understand the desire for Apple to design the i-phone around the gsm specks, but, as stated, it's stupid to lock itself into one provider. as far as i'm concerned, go t-mobile. besides, they could really use the boost in sales and service lest someone buy them out... such as the rumored sale to at&t... god forbid!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Jul 22 2010 1:34 PM

That's what I've been saying. There should be both CDMA and GSM versions of the iPhone and they should at least be on all 4 providers.

Anyways, AT&T wouldn't be in a breach of contract because even though they can't provide enough data, they're still providing adequate service to the users.

Still, the Motorola RAZR was locked to one provider and now look at it, nearly every provider has it. While it is stupid that it's locked to one provider, it'll eventually open up. Just trust me.

Besides, I'm a subscriber of T-Mobile and if I can get the iPhone cheaply via a deal for subscribers then I'm all for it.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 24,775
digitaldd replied on Thu, Jul 22 2010 2:02 PM

News:

Cult of Mac brings up a valid point, but there is some question as to whether or not the iPhone 4 would work on T-Mobile's network. T-Mobile's 3G network operates on the 1700/2100MHz bands, and while Apple did add the 2100MHz band to the iPhone 4's spec sheet (not present on the iPhone 3GS), there's no listing of the 1700MHz.

Well documented iPhone 4 issues aside, which network would you rather see the iPhone migrate to, T-Mobile or Verizon?

The 1700mhz frequency is the key, without it all an iPhone will get on T-Mobile's network in the USA is EDGE speed data. And it may be more than just a software update to fix that. I've seen a few jailbroken iPhone's running on T-Mobile's network all seem to be stuck on EDGE type speed, which as most of them say is better than nothing.

I think Verizon is where they want to go, and as Stevo has said they have a Verizon tower on the premises @ 1 Infinite Loop in Cupertino..

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665
Inspector replied on Thu, Jul 22 2010 2:16 PM

Hum, i would have to think this though, who should i go with? back to T-mobile? or go to Verizon? If it comes out anytime soon i will so cancel my AT&T plan and go with one of them even if i had to pay for canceling!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Jul 22 2010 3:10 PM

digitaldd:

The 1700mhz frequency is the key, without it all an iPhone will get on T-Mobile's network in the USA is EDGE speed data. And it may be more than just a software update to fix that. I've seen a few jailbroken iPhone's running on T-Mobile's network all seem to be stuck on EDGE type speed, which as most of them say is better than nothing.

This forum should explain everything, the iPhone's frequency is 1900/2100Hz.

http://www.hackint0sh.org/f148/52657.htm

digitaldd:

I think Verizon is where they want to go, and as Stevo has said they have a Verizon tower on the premises @ 1 Infinite Loop in Cupertino..

Two problems, 1. GSM users like me will be left out of the loop and the prices for the GSM version will rise even more. 2. While Verizon has a better network, I would like to see it on 4 carriers rather then 1 exclusive carrier.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Thu, Jul 22 2010 4:39 PM

I would like to just see the iPhone go away lol :-D

But that's just me lol

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Jul 22 2010 11:06 PM

Unless you were China and had banned Foxconn from ever manufacturing iPhones again, I'd doubt you have a chance. :P

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 153
Points 1,705
lonewolf replied on Thu, Jul 22 2010 11:30 PM

This makes sense to me as Apple has been tethered to At&t from the get go. It is probably getting a little long in the tooth and they want a expand their market I am speaking of Apple here. Also if Driod is all that it is claimed to be we could finally see some competition in this arena. I have no qualms with the expansion however I do think they need to get that reception issue resolved though first and foremost IMO.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Fri, Jul 23 2010 12:03 AM

With the choice given at the end of the article, I'd vote T-Mobile. Back when I was shopping for a cell phone, I already had a bad taste in my mouth against Sprint, my previous provider, who offered a $10/month contract (50 minutes, I believe) which had grown to $20 by the time they lost me as a customer. I suppose the basic rate stayed the same, but all the mystery charges added up. No doubt they regretted offering a low-minute plan in the first place and this was their way of encouraging customers to move on. I did: not to another Sprint plan, but to another company.

I had Verizon as my home phone/data provider for a while, during which time I got anonymous threatening phone calls. Naturally, I reported them. To my surprise, I found that they charged $3 for reporting each harassing phone call. Needless to say, Verizon will probably never get my business for anything.

Nor will AT&T. The customer service representatives, in several locations, made me feel like I was taking up their valuable time by asking questions. Or perhaps it was because they didn't know the answer to the (rather simple) ones I asked, referring me to their pamphlets or their website. Evidently AT&T sets the bar low when it comes to hiring practices.

Then there was T-Mobile. I was greeted by an enthusiastic young lady who didn't make me wait while she attended to other customers, but listened to my requirements and gave me a number of options. (Some were higher-cost than the one I chose, but there wasn't a drop of pressure.) She gave me the pros and cons and let me figure it out for myself. They even took back the Motorola Razr in exchange for the slightly more visible Samsung SGH-X495 without having me jump through hoops.

When the Android G1 phone came out, I asked after it, and was given the salesman's unit to play around with. He showed me the largest typeface size which the phone allowed for in its contact manager and calendar-- by fiddling with his phone's settings. He also gave me his user manual so I could study at my leisure-- and that isn't promotional literature but the one that comes in the box when you buy the thing.

In short, they've gone out of their way to keep me as a customer, and have resolved the few problems that have arisen in a completely satisfactory manner. I haven't seen the need to jump from great customer service to pitch-poor customer service; so iPhone or not, I'm sticking with T-Mobile.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Fri, Jul 23 2010 12:17 AM

If I had retarded amounts of money I would buy foxconn, force them to stop making the iphone, then i would buy all the iphones up in the world and burn them...

Yes, that is what I would do....

Good thing i'm not Rich... what a waste of money that would be lol

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 24,775
digitaldd replied on Fri, Jul 23 2010 9:31 AM

acarzt:

If I had retarded amounts of money I would buy foxconn, force them to stop making the iphone, then i would buy all the iphones up in the world and burn them...

Yes, that is what I would do....

Good thing i'm not Rich... what a waste of money that would be lol

Burn them? How about a simple EPIC episode of Will it Blend?

Anyway it seems what everyone would like is a world phone version of the iPhone which can work with any provider and is fully unlocked. you buy it in the Apple store pop a SIM card in it and go or call the IMEI in to your CDMA carrier to get it activated and online. I strongly doubt that will ever happen.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,771
Points 105,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Jul 23 2010 3:52 PM

I don't blame you Clem. Good customer service is the most valuable service there is and most of these companies have long since forgotten that. I use Sprint because they have the best signal here where I live. I've been 'out of contract' for two years now, and if any other company had good signal here, I would drop Sprint like a hot potato. Their billing dept screwed me out of money once and I've spent the last 4 years telling everyone who will listen to me about it. I feel responsible for turning many, many prospective buyers away from them for the last four years and I'll continue to do just that. They got me for $60.00, but I've got them for a hell of a lot more than that since then,...........heh-heh!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Fri, Jul 23 2010 4:16 PM

realneil:

I don't blame you Clem. Good customer service is the most valuable service there is and most of these companies have long since forgotten that.

This is so true. For example all these computer manufacturers, they've all essentially got the same hardware the only difference between their boxes... is Design, and Customer support. For most of these companies they just don't care about customer support. Customer support is more of an obligation to them than an important part of their business.

What they fail to realize is that when you give really crappy customer support to someone... they're gonna go tell they friends and family and everyone else. And now those people that were thinking of buying your product, will no longer buy it.

If you give great customer support, the same thing is gonna happen they are gonna tell family and friends and now they might buy your product and they may have never even considered you as an option before.

This is why Asus is climbing so fast in that market... They are known to have good customer support.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 166
Points 1,430
detnight replied on Tue, Jul 27 2010 5:37 AM

My Family all use T-Mobile. My daughter and son more trouble with the phones they get now. They would use the iPhone if was offered. They will not change providers because we have been with T-Mobile since they have been 3 or 4 company names.....................

Asus M4A79T deluxe,AMD Athlon II X4 620,SAPPHIRE R9 270X 4GB GDDR5 WITH BOOST & OC,BeerPatriot Viper DDR3 1333 8gb,Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro,Diamond ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Comb,Plextor DVD-CD burner,Patriot PS-100 SSD 32gb ,WD 500gb 32mg,Antec Twelve Hundred Full Tower,Antec True Power Quattro 1000watts,Toshiba 40in 1080p for a monitor

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Thu, Jul 29 2010 12:53 AM

Gebtlemen, ladies: This is kind of an old news story to comment on, but I just got a text from T-Mobile that said they were offering a $15/month, unlimited voice and data plan.

If it's true (and I'm going downtown tomorrow to check), I may actually ditch my pay-as-you-go plan.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Thu, Jul 29 2010 2:04 AM

That would be pretty Awesome clem... Good luck! lol

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS