Google Confirms: 70,000 Android Market Apps And Growing

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,736
Points 1,209,565
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Jul 17 2010 8:17 AM
This past week, it seems that Apple has simply dominated the news. The buzz definitely has not been for reasons that Apple would want, but either way, they're pretty much monopolizing press bandwidth. The company's "Antennagate" has caused a huge ruckus, so much that it has been somewhat difficult to see past it to all of the other great things going on in the industry. But there's a stat counter in some supercomputer that doesn't really care about what happens in the world of Apple, and that stat counter has been carefully monitoring just how well Apple's primary rival in the smartphone world has been doing.

Google's Android platform has been gaining serious steam over the past few months. Numbers are up all around, and clearly more people are staying interested. Our recent look at Android 2.2 makes us confident that Google is in the mobile OS space for the long-haul, and it's becoming clear that consumers are interested in staying loyal to the OS, too. AndroLib is a data collection service that monitors Android use, and according to its latest numbers, the Android App Market now has over 70,000 applications available.

Considering that Android launched about a year after the original iPhone, that's pretty darn impressive. Apple's App Store has well over 200,000 at this point, but there's certainly a law of diminishing returns at some point. At some point, there are only a handful of truly useful apps that you would use from either store, and we think that inching up on 100,000 is a pretty big milestone for Android. But beyond that, there's another figure that's pretty meaningful in the most recent round of data collection: the Android App Market has surpassed more than one billion app downloads. A billion!

For anyone who still thought Android was small time, they're going to have a hard time sticking to those guns after hearing that. Of course, only one of these figures have been confirmed by Google (the 70,000 number, which was confirmed during their latest earnings call), but in the past AndroLib has proven to be reliable. It's pretty clear to us that Android is gaining traction and has the will to compete with Apple, and after this week's shaming, people may just reconsider snapping up an Android phone over an iPhone 4 + case.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Sat, Jul 17 2010 10:36 AM

Also, consider that the Android would need much fewer "apps" to reach the equivalent functionality of the iPhone - since it has support for Flash.

I use "apps" in quotes, since most iPhone "apps" seem to be re-packaged web-pages.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Sat, Jul 17 2010 5:07 PM

I had a fun conversation with someone who seemed to think "Apps" were unique to Apple and that they invented Apps. They did not seem to grasp the fact that "App" is short for Application... and that Applications have existed for much longer than the iphone and it's App store.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Jul 17 2010 5:48 PM

3vi1, you may be correct. Though there are some gems within the iPhone App Store, but some that you have to look for.

It's interesting google has that much apps but I'm still split, unless someone can implement Flash in Mobile Safari, I'm probably going to go with the iPhone 4.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Sat, Jul 17 2010 5:59 PM

Lol... they must have thought Apps was short for Apples. That's a riot!

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jul 18 2010 11:20 AM

TaylorKarras that does not make sense Mobile Safari would be in an iPhone not in a Android phone, therefore if someone cannot implement it in Safari the iPhone would not have it not vice verse. Much of this really make the video ( http://www.break.com/index/iphone-4-vs-htc-evo.html ) that much more relevant.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 1,735

"Though there are some gems within the iPhone App Store, but some that you have to look for."

But looking in the Android Marketplace is even more difficult, there's not even a simple rating scale! That's fine for the free apps, but not something you have to pay $3 to find out if it's OK or not; and, not all the apps have online reviews. With 70,000 apps, they REALLY need to implement some way to let people know what they're buying.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sun, Jul 18 2010 12:47 PM

*damn*

I meant to say unless somebody can Implement Flash in Mobile Safari, I'm going to go with the Android Phone. Sorry I got it mixed up.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Sun, Jul 18 2010 4:51 PM

Wow, how could they have not put a rating system? I would think that is a very important feature to allow consumers to make the right decision when purchasing an app.

And with 70,000 apps.... you're gonna need to know what you're even looking for before venturing out to find a sweet app lol

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS