SSD drive - whats the fastest and most reliable SSD drive for a laptop? (In preparation for Star Craft 2!) :P

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 2,780
Chainzsaw Posted: Thu, Jul 15 2010 3:39 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm planning on getting a new SSD for my laptop. Currently I have the Asus G73JH-A1. Right now it's pretty fast, but I know with an SSD upgrade it will be lightening quick! I'm planning on getting my SSD before I get StarCraft 2.

I'm leaning towards the Intel 160GB SSD as I heard they are fast, reliable, and 160GB is just about right for what I want.

Anyways if guys could reccomend something for me that would be great.

What im looking for:

Price Range: approximately 200-300$ Canadian (I don't want to go over 300 though).

Storage: Anywhere from at least 80GB to ~200GB (Of course depending on price)

Also my laptop takes 2.5" form factor disk/solid state drives.

Reliability: The SSD drive has to be reliable (TRIM would be a requirement)!  I will mainly use it for OS/Games/and maybe as a scratch disk for ripping/converting movies.

Companies I'm considering buying from:

Crucial, Intel, Super Talent, Samsung, or others depending on reliability.

The ones i've been looking at are:

OCZ Vertex 96GB 2.5IN SATA 2 Indilinx                                   $179.99

Kingston SSDNow V Series Gen II 128GB 2.5IN SATA2      $199.99

Intel X25-M 80GB 34NM Postville                                              $262.95

OCZ Vertex 2 Extended Sandforce 120GB                              $326.64

G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120GB Sandforce 2.5IN SATA2          $341.54

Mushkin Callisto Deluxe 120GB 2.5IN SATA2 Sandforce MLC  $323.31

I know I listed some over 300, but as long as the price isn't too ridiculous I don't mind.

Suggestions?

Current computer:

Asus G73JH-A1

Core i7 720QM

Mobility Radeon 5870 1GBVRAM

8GB Ram

1 X OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

1 X 500GB HDD

17.3FHD (1080P) Panel

Blu Ray Drive (reader)

HDMI Out

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,108
Points 38,255
acarzt replied on Thu, Jul 15 2010 6:28 PM

I would go with the vertex 2. It has great read and right speeds. And my 2 vertex 1s have been great

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 2,780
Chainzsaw replied on Fri, Jul 16 2010 9:56 AM

Yea I heard some good things about the Vertex. How long have you had yours, acarzt? Have you had any weird problems? I shouldn't be writing too much data once I get an SSD, mostly reading.

One more thing. Once I do get the new SSD drive, i'm not sure how excatly I will transfer my OS. I have a partition on one of my hard drives in my laptop that I can use to recover to my new SSD once I get it, but i'm not sure if that will work?

Would I be able to use something else, like say, Acronis? I just don't want to leave all my data behind from the HDD that's already in there.

Current computer:

Asus G73JH-A1

Core i7 720QM

8GB Ram

1 X 500GB HDD

17.3FHD (1080P) Panel

Blu Ray Drive (reader)

HDMI Out

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,108
Points 38,255
acarzt replied on Fri, Jul 16 2010 3:42 PM

You could possibly bring an image over... but a better option would be to load a fresh copy of the OS and just take the data you need.

Get an external enclosure for your old drive and use it that way to get your data.

I'm not a fan of moving full installs to new hard drives. I beleive in fresh starts :-)

But if you insist on carrying your image over, acronis would work.

The partition you speak of... i'm assuming it's a recovey partion placed there by Asus?

If so... you would have to image that... place it on the SSD, then boot to it/run it... and that would be more of a hassel than just imaging your computer and placing it on the new ssd.

Annnnd I still prefer fresh starts :-)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 2,780
Chainzsaw replied on Fri, Jul 16 2010 5:01 PM

Alright good idea Acarzt.

I will just install a "fresh" copy of the OS on the new SSD that I will be buying shortly.

But yea, that's what i'm talking about, the recovery partition that Asus put on one of HDD's.

Hopefully I will be able to leave the HDD with the OS recovery partition in and install it to the new SSD. I hope it will work!

Current computer:

Asus G73JH-A1

Core i7 720QM

8GB Ram

1 X 500GB HDD

17.3FHD (1080P) Panel

Blu Ray Drive (reader)

HDMI Out

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,108
Points 38,255
acarzt replied on Sat, Jul 17 2010 5:40 AM

I don't know if Acronis has this feature (I haven't used it in quite some time) But some backup utilities have the option to create a bootable image on a secondary partion.

That way you can get your OS and everything situated the way you like... then make the image.

Then if ever your OS get's corrupted and you need to perform a reimage, you can boot to the secondary partition without needing to go finding any CDs/DVDs etc.

Even still.. you can still create a second partition on your own and save images to it. Even if it's not bootable, most backup utilities have some optional bootable CD that you can run and access your images from a partition.

You have lots of options. Just let me know if you need any help getting any of this setup :-)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 2,780
Chainzsaw replied on Tue, Jul 20 2010 4:13 PM

I think i'll just do what you originally mentioned and just re-install the OS. I totally forgot I originally made 8 DVD disc's for OS re-installation when I first got my laptop. That took literally 2 hours to do!

Also, looks like I will go for for the OCZ Vertex 2 120GB, it looks like it has the best bang for the buck.

Hmm one more thing, when I do the HDD swap, I wonder if I will have to call M$ because of the hardware change and to re-activate my Win7? I'm not too familiar with Windows 7, and I remember reading about something where if you did too many hardware changes it would ask you to re-activate windows.

One last thing, would it be a bad idea to put my swap file on the SSD also? Or should I just use the secondary HDD as the swap file? I would like to use the SSD as a swap file but i'm worried about the writes destroying the SSD.

Thanks for your help acarzt :D

Current computer:

Asus G73JH-A1

Core i7 720QM

8GB Ram

1 X 500GB HDD

17.3FHD (1080P) Panel

Blu Ray Drive (reader)

HDMI Out

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,108
Points 38,255
acarzt replied on Tue, Jul 20 2010 5:24 PM

You're gonna have to reactivate win7... but you should be able to do it over the internet. You shouldn't have to call MS. Even if you do, they don't really fuss over these things. You read them a number, they give you a number, you put the number in and done.

Those Vertex drives are great.

With as much ram as you have you can turn the page file off. Make sure you also turn off indexing on your SSD.

These 2 things will help increase the longevity of your SSD. Also check out the OCZ forums to get some tips on properly setting up the offset on your SSD.

It's easy to do, but an important step in getting all the performance you can out of your drive :-)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 2,780
Chainzsaw replied on Tue, Jul 20 2010 6:24 PM

Well thanks for everything acarzt!

I just ordered the SSD drive as an early B-Day present for myself, since i'm not expecting much.

Wewt I can't wait to get it!

Now off to check out the OCZ forums and learn of this "offset" you speak of :D

Edit: Just looking around the OCZ site and everything seems to be ok for a fresh Windows 7 install. Besides defrag and drive indexing, there shouldnèt be anything i really need to set..

I tried reading the forums, but it all seems to be for XP and not windows 7. Apparently Win7 will/should automatically detect if you have an SSD drive and automatically disable defrag. Although apparently I should manually disable Superfetch since I won't need it, and they say to keep prefetch on.

Haven't really heard much about offset before, so reading all those posts are a little confusing.

Current computer:

Asus G73JH-A1

Core i7 720QM

8GB Ram

1 X 500GB HDD

17.3FHD (1080P) Panel

Blu Ray Drive (reader)

HDMI Out

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,108
Points 38,255
acarzt replied on Tue, Jul 20 2010 8:54 PM

i've actually run bench marks on my system with and without prefetch and superfetch.

Turning off prefetch negatively impacted performance.

Superfetch did not have any noticable impact. But the theory with superfetch is that over time using the computer gives it a chance to learn your habits and help speed things up for you.

I leave it on personally. But it's up to you on that one really.

As for the offset, look for a tutorial on initially setting up your SSD for first time use. I'll go look for the article as well in a little bit here.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 2,780
Chainzsaw replied on Fri, Jul 23 2010 11:18 AM

Well hopefully my drive is on it's way now. Also, after going over the forums (reading over some things a few times) it seems most of these tweaks/fixes/whatever are mainly for the first gen SSD drives like the Core series with stuttering issues. Also appears the vertex 2 i'm getting should fly.

One more thing acarzt, i noticed you have a RAID 0 set up with SSD drives, are you able to do garbage collection/TRIM on them? I read somewhere you can't do that with Raid'ed drives. If so, have you noticed any decrease in performance over the span of time you've had them?

Current computer:

Asus G73JH-A1

Core i7 720QM

8GB Ram

1 X 500GB HDD

17.3FHD (1080P) Panel

Blu Ray Drive (reader)

HDMI Out

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,108
Points 38,255
acarzt replied on Fri, Jul 23 2010 11:48 PM

Well i don't think mine supported TRIM to begin with.

As far as the responsiveness and performance of the drives. They feel just as snappy as ever.

If I bench mark them the read and write speeds are lower then when I first got them if they are full.

If I remove a bunch of stuff tho the speeds go back up to like 350-400MB/s reads.

When I first got them they benched at like 440MB/s reads.

But you'll never know they are getting slower because they are so fast to begin with. Even with a lot of "slow down" they will still be faster than any HDD.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 2,780
Chainzsaw replied on Mon, Jul 26 2010 2:54 PM

350-400MB eh ? That's frickin lightening quick man. I remember I used to have dual Raptors in RAID 0 on my old computer and they were never that quick.

The SSD should be in any day now, since we only get mail via Airplane (there's no road here that connects the rest of the country to us).

I will do a test and post some screen shots of it once I get it and optimize it and delete the crapware that comes with re-installing my OS. I'll probably make another thread.

acarzt, what would you reccomend to test the speed of my SSD once I get it? HDTach? What do you use? I know most HD testers are mainly for Hard drives with platters, but should give a fairly decent basis of what it could do anyways.

Current computer:

Asus G73JH-A1

Core i7 720QM

8GB Ram

1 X 500GB HDD

17.3FHD (1080P) Panel

Blu Ray Drive (reader)

HDMI Out

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,108