Microsoft COO Calls Apple's iPhone 4 "Their Vista"

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,180
Points 1,185,795
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Jul 15 2010 10:36 AM
Wow. Just wow. Sometimes, there's just nothing more to say. And this is one of those times, but we'll try to elaborate anyway. Kevin Turner, Microsoft's chief operating officer, probably pulls home a nice paycheck. He's right up there beside Steve Ballmer's corner office, and when he speaks about Microsoft, people understandably listen. He's the COO, after all.

So recently, when he spoke at Microsoft's Worldwide Partner Conference in Washington, D.C., it made it impossible for us to ignore. What exactly did he say? "It looks like the iPhone 4 might be their Vista, and I'm okay with that."

Yes, "their" refers to Apple, and the statement is true. It's somewhat hard to believe that this was said, but we're guessing that it was either said in a joking fashion or in a heat of rage. Either way, it's pretty comical. There's no doubt that Apple has taken (and continues to take) a pretty severe bashing for the issues that shipped with the iPhone 4, and much like Vista, it continues to sell well regardless. Of course, Vista was hit pretty hard by critics who couldn't get over the quirks of the system, and it'll definitely reside up there with Windows ME for one of Microsoft's most hated operating systems. But will the iPhone 4 really be remembered as a "hated phone?" We kind of doubt it.

Still, it's pretty great to think that Microsoft feels that the iPhone 4 could be Apple's Vista. Even though this statement essentially confirms that Microsoft knows how bad the world hates Vista...
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Thu, Jul 15 2010 1:25 PM

MS COO: "The Apple iPhone is so bad..."

MS Fanboys: "*How bad is it?*"

MS COO: "It's so bad, it's virtually the equivalent of that garbage we've been selling you! Mojave!"

MS Fanboys: "Ha hah hah... hey... what?"

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Thu, Jul 15 2010 2:26 PM

I get everything up till mohave... 3vi1

so seeing that the iphone 4 is vista i would have to pass like i did for vista :)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 102
Points 1,315

It's amusing that only after Windows 7's success is Microsoft able to admit how much of a failure Vista was.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Jul 15 2010 3:03 PM

I don't think the iPhone is a total failure though, they just need to fix the antenna issues.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Thu, Jul 15 2010 4:23 PM

It was nice of him to compare the iPhone 4 to that incredible new, fun-to-use operating system from Microsoft which will revolutionize how you interact with your computer... the last operating system you'll ever need.

Or am I just reading their press releases from 2005? Hey, maybe Blue Steve can be called upon to curbstomp a copy of Vista.

This reminds me of young Republicans calling one political issue or another "President Obama's Watergate." Yes, Watergate: that illegal and unethical abuse of executive power which led to the impeachment and resignation of a Republican President, and the destruction of peoples' unwavering faith in the office. In other words, the Republican Party's Vista.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,105
Points 38,225
acarzt replied on Thu, Jul 15 2010 5:15 PM

Well, i'm not so sure that he was calling Vista a failure... just pointing the fact the MS get's a lot of flack for that OS. Just like Apple is getting a lot of flack for their new Iphone.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Thu, Jul 15 2010 5:52 PM

Inspector:

I get everything up till mohave... 3vi1

so seeing that the iphone 4 is vista i would have to pass like i did for vista :)

That should have read "Mojave", which was Microsoft's advertising study proving people would actually like Vista if it had UAC de-fanged, bigger icons, and was renamed Windows 7.  Or at least, that's what their actions seemed to indicate.by the release of Win 7 less than 3 years after Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/mojave-experiment/

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,105
Points 38,225
acarzt replied on Thu, Jul 15 2010 6:16 PM

The mojave experiment was just to make people look stupid after bad mouthing vista and having never used it.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

"that illegal and unethical abuse of executive power which led to the impeachment and resignation of a Republican President, and the destruction of peoples' unwavering faith in the office"

You mean the same thing that happened to Clinton, yet since it happened at the end of his term no one remembers he was impeached? Now They have gotten so good at not telling the truth, that they have everyone convinced that they are?! Currently they lie so often, and cover it up in the media, that no one even notices! Even when there is video of what they actually say?! Compared to what they actually do. They always accuse the other side of abusing executive power, so when they use it against you, you will think they are doing it for your own good?! Just look at the videos of the pres talking about a national security force, then look at the Health care bill. Which allows for a security force assembled by him! In a health care bill?! We will find out what is in it after it is passed? well now we have!

Sad to think most people don't know what martial law is in accordance to the abuse of executive power! Much less the history of the brown shirts! So when they go knocking down doors to their political rivals, they just sit back and say..Gee glade that's not me! They all just think Stormtroopers are characters in Star Wars:P

I have never had a problem with Microsoft's business practices. Mistakes and problems are all part of advancing technology. They have been good at addressing solutions for the most part. And being called on it through the years have kept the company in check! I am sure Apple will get bailed out or protected from failure in the courts, instead of having to actually answer the customers issues!

The difference here is that Apple will not learn from this like Mojave or ME, so they can move forward for the benefit for all. Instead they are going to just give away a few Bumpers and pat themselves on the back for being genius!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Thu, Jul 15 2010 8:03 PM

acarzt:

The mojave experiment was just to make people look stupid after bad mouthing vista and having never used it.

People were mostly bad-mouthing Vista because of bad drivers and non-existent drivers for the hardware they were upgrading.  The Mojave experiment shoved a preloaded machine of Microsoft's choosing in front of users (who had no discernible preconceived opinion of Vista), so they didn't get any chance to experience the problems that were giving it a bad name.

I recall installing Linux and Vista onto one of my kids machines a couple of years back.  Guess which one recognized all the devices and worked without a hitch?  I was pretty amazed that the one without any vendor support "just worked".

(graph - circa 2007)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,105
Points 38,225
acarzt replied on Thu, Jul 15 2010 11:20 PM

In the videos from the Mojave experiment, the users were non-technical people who had no prior hands on experience with Vista. Their opinions were solely based on hear say.

Microsoft sat them down in front a system loaded with "The next gen microsoft OS, Mojave" Which was actually windows Vista.

They asked the users before hand, why Vista was bad, a lot of them said it was slow, unresponsive, not user friendly... blah blah blah.

They sat them down and gave them a demo, and asked their opinions of the new OS and had them rank it 1-10. The user(or at least the ones they showed) liked it and gave it high ratings. Then it was revealed to them that they were in fact using Vista.

Personally I didn't start using vista until about a year an a half ago. And when I loaded it up, it worked just fine. I didn't have any problems.

The only problems i've ever had with it was at my Dad's house, losing a shared printer on the network between an XP and Vista machine. And I had some trouble getting some old programs to work.... Like Final Fantasy 7.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705
gibbersome replied on Thu, Jul 15 2010 11:55 PM

Essentially the COO insulted their own product in order to strike a blow at a competitor.

Being a long time Vista user, I'm so mad I want to kidnap Kevin Turner and shave off his mustache.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,105
Points 38,225
acarzt replied on Fri, Jul 16 2010 12:22 AM

We can't expect advancements in technology and 100% backwards compatibility. That's just asking too much.

If Microsoft suddenly decided to make their OS 64-Bit only... that would make a lot of people's old hardware obsolete. While it unquestionable that 64-bit is far more advanced(in the sense that it has more potential) than 32-bit... it's also unquestionably NOT backwards compatible with everything.

Personally I don't mind a few head aches along the way as long as it is leading to progress.

As crappy as ME was... we got Win 2kPro and Windows XP because of it.

2k Pro was pretty much awesome and stable from the start... XP had a pretty rough start... but now... it's pretty solid. XP suffered from the same driver issues as Vista.

And poor driver support is hardly Microsofts fault anyway.. they can't FORCE third parties to make drivers for their new OS.

Windows 7 works so great because it's a rebadged Vista and Vista has been on the market awhile, long enough to have a lot of the kinks worked out. Windows 7 is about the equivelant of HTC adding their interface over the top of the Android OS. it's Vista at it's core with a new look.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, Jul 17 2010 6:23 PM

>> We can't expect advancements in technology and 100% backwards compatibility. That's just asking too much.

However, that's the way it works in Linux.  The drivers are open and have their source code included with with the kernel. You can move from 32 to 64 bit, or even to an ARM CPU or some other architecture, recompile, and you've got support for your devices.

And, if something doesn't work due to a new kernel architecture change, the source code is there for anyone to update - even if the device manufacturer went out of business long ago.

I don't see any reason for closed-source device drivers.  They're useless to anyone who didn't pay for the device, and clone manufacturers are more than capable of copying the drivers.

>> Windows 7 works so great because it's a rebadged Vista and Vista has been on the market awhile, long enough to have a lot of the kinks worked out.

Now there's something we can agree on!  :)

• Filed under:
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,105
Points 38,225
acarzt replied on Sat, Jul 17 2010 11:36 PM

While anyone can work on drivers for linux... you're in a bit of a bind of no one has worked on drivers for your particular hardware... and you don't know how to do so yourself.

They both have their ups and downs. And while linux is very flexible... it does not work with everything ALL the time.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Jul 27 2010 11:53 AM

acarzt:

While anyone can work on drivers for linux... you're in a bit of a bind of no one has worked on drivers for your particular hardware... and you don't know how to do so yourself.

They both have their ups and downs. And while linux is very flexible... it does not work with everything ALL the time.

That's true as well; while Linux may be free and open source, the community is lacking drivers for sorely needed products that Windows supports right now. True story, I have a lot of these items that are incompatible with Linux.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Tue, Jul 27 2010 5:55 PM

TaylorKarras:

That's true as well; while Linux may be free and open source, the community is lacking drivers for sorely needed products that Windows supports right now. True story, I have a lot of these items that are incompatible with Linux.

Please name some - I can't think of anything common.  I've got it installed on six systems and it sees everything (webcams, firewire, audio, video, wireless...).  Even the USB3 in my new system worked without any tweaking whatsoever.  Linux "just works" with most devices nowadays - with more and more first-party support, the 'no drivers' talk is quickly becoming an old stereotype.

In fact, the only thing I've every owned that it doesn't support is an ancient Visioneer scanner - and those pieces of junk are the equivalent of Winmodems.

Lots of people like to write device drivers on Linux as a challenge, and will even teach you how to do it.

• Filed under:
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,105
Points 38,225
acarzt replied on Tue, Jul 27 2010 7:18 PM

I think the linux community is pretty good with keeping updated drives for common hardware.

It's the uncommon and rare/specialty hardware that concerns me.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Tue, Jul 27 2010 7:27 PM

acarzt:

I think the linux community is pretty good with keeping updated drives for common hardware.

It's the uncommon and rare/specialty hardware that concerns me.

Don't worry:  Your George Foreman USB iGrill will work just as well with Linux as it does with Windows.

• Filed under: ,
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,105
Points 38,225
acarzt replied on Tue, Jul 27 2010 11:39 PM

It better! Or heads will roll!

Page 1 of 1 (21 items) | RSS