"You Are What You Eat Thread"

This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,437
Points 102,170
MembershipAdministrator
realneil Posted: Tue, Jul 13 2010 8:40 PM

I'm a piece of Blackberry pie. Berries just picked fresh from our bush, and this is hot from the oven. Outstanding!

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Tue, Jul 13 2010 9:25 PM

Mmmmmm. that looks sooooo good! Much better than the banana i'm eating :-(

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Tue, Jul 13 2010 9:31 PM

...pending.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 447
Points 5,270
sackyhack replied on Wed, Jul 14 2010 12:05 PM

I'm a...*opens fridge.  Nothing in there that would take less that 2 minutes to prepare.  Stare for another 5 minutes*

...Subway Italian BMT...sigh...

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Wed, Jul 14 2010 2:43 PM

My Gramma always used to make blackberry and cherry pie during the summer with the black berries and  cherries she grew

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Wed, Jul 14 2010 5:27 PM

I was eating spaghetti with some kind of turkey sauce at the time i read this. Big Smile

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 2,780
Chainzsaw replied on Wed, Jul 14 2010 5:50 PM

Delicious looking realneil!

Getting hungry now! Haha.

That reminds me of my grandma's rhubarb pie she made...it was awesome with some vanilla ice cream ! :D

Current computer:

Asus G73JH-A1

Core i7 720QM

Mobility Radeon 5870 1GBVRAM

8GB Ram

1 X OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

1 X 500GB HDD

17.3FHD (1080P) Panel

Blu Ray Drive (reader)

HDMI Out

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Wed, Jul 14 2010 6:32 PM

I don't like turkey OR chicken in my spaghetti.

Meatballs and sausage all the way!

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,437
Points 102,170
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Jul 14 2010 10:27 PM

acarzt:
Meatballs and sausage all the way!

Meatballs,....................Yeah, I make meatballs with both Hamburger and Italian Sausage (hot or mild) mixed together 50-50. I use a few egg yokes, crushed Club Crackers, Fennel Seed, Italian seasoning, and some Parmesan Cheese too. Mix it all up, roll them out, brown them, and slow cook them in my sauce (my own recipe too) for a day. People tend to scarf them up as soon as I put them out.

Now I'm hungry and I've already had dinner!      Ha-Ha!

Tomorrow I make dinner!

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Thu, Jul 15 2010 5:20 AM

Rolling the sausage with the hamburger sounds pretty yummy.

I make mine with just hamburger meat, some plane bread crumbs, fresh garlic, onions(sometimes) some italian seasoning, egg, and then I toss them into the sauce raw and let them abosorb all the delicious flavors of the sause as well. :-) (don't worry after cooking in the sauce all day they come out cooked all the way through and i've yet to get sick from this method lol)

If I go by my grandma's recipe, I also add fennel seed and bell peppers.

The sausage I cook by itself.. drain the grease and drop them in the sauce. I use my mama's sauce recipe which is DELICIOUS!  All other red sauce is ruined for me lol

-- Certifications --

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 2,780
Chainzsaw replied on Thu, Jul 15 2010 9:40 AM

Sounds great Realneil. Could I get your recipe? That would be stupendous. I would love to try it out that way some time.

Has anyone ever made some eggmuffins? Most likely but this is how I make em (every once in a while :) )

You'll need a muffin pan. Grease with whatever you like to use for greasing (I use butter).

Get some bread, maybe white bread, but you can use anything, and rip the crust off but careful to leave the white bread intact.

Stuff the white crustless bread into the muffin pans so it looks like a cup.

Now this is where you can go wild.

Cook and chop up some bacon

Maybe chop up some bits of ham.

Chop up some green onions

Green peppers are good too.

Now mix them up with the eggs and pour them into the bread cups in the muffin pan.

Cook about 20 minutes around 400. Maybe less, depending on your oven.

Makes a nice great lil snack :D

Current computer:

Asus G73JH-A1

Core i7 720QM

8GB Ram

1 X OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

1 X 500GB HDD

17.3FHD (1080P) Panel

Blu Ray Drive (reader)

HDMI Out

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Thu, Jul 15 2010 6:57 PM

Those sound pretty delicious.... they just need some cheese on them lol

I like making cresant french toast... it's pretty mech exactly how it sounds...

Crack a few egg into a bowl with a flat bottom, add some milk, cinnamon sugar, and mix.

Cut some cresants in half... dip both side and then cook them in a skillet or on a griddle.

When they are done, butter them and pour over some hot syrup :-D

Goes good with sausage and bacon heh.

-- Certifications --

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 5,500

Since were on breakfast foods now, how about a Birds Nest? Remove the center from 2 pieces of white bread (just enough for an egg yolk) slather the four corners with pats of butter, place on heated frying pan (griddle preferred) buttered side down, crack full egg into center of bread being careful not to break the yolk, fry till desired done-ness, and voila! Delicious buttered toast and dippin' eggs you can eat with a fork, its great!

This is my Sig. There are many like it but this one is mine.

OIIIIIIIIO

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Sat, Jul 17 2010 1:48 AM

That sounds like too much work for toast and an egg lol

But a creative alternative none the less

-- Certifications --

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,437
Points 102,170
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Jul 17 2010 6:22 PM

acarzt:
sounds like too much work

No, it's worth it because it's good food.

Per multiple requests, here is how I make those meatballs I mentioned earlier. Sorry for not providing exact measurements, but I don't cook that way, I just 'eyeball' everything usually.          (Sorry, but my sauce is a recipe that I don't share)

1 Lb. pkg of  hamburger- the leaner the better.

1 Lb. pkg of Italian Sausage links- (I use either hot or mild depending on who is gonna be eating the meal) Kids & Elders don't do well with the Hot.

The yellow from 3 or 4 eggs- This is no yolk!      Yuk-Yuk!

1/3 box of Club Crackers- (one sealed pack from the box) Saltines don't cut it here folks!

Italian Seasoning- to taste (I use allot of it)

Adobo all purpose seasoning- sprinkle liberally, (this adds lots of flavor to the balls)

Shredded/Grated Parmesan Cheese- (again to taste, I use allot of it too)

Minced Onions- (Again,.....to taste, fresh finely-chopped or packaged will do fine)

So, I start by cutting the ends of the Italian Sausages and squeeze everything out into a mixing bowl, discarding the skins. Then I add everything else to the bowl. The crackers are crushed by hand first. I have a stand mixer and use it to combine everything well.

Once it's all mixed together I roll the mixture into inch and a half to two inch balls and slow cook them in virgin olive oil until they are browned on all sides. (they're not safe to eat at this point until they cook in the sauce as described below)

Then I put them into the sauce to cook slowly and on low heat for a few hours at least. The slower, the better. I usually cook them for half a day, preparing them early in the morning and eating them for dinner.

Enjoy!

(later, we'll talk about the Boneless Country Pork Ribs and Spaghetti recipe I make)

(Mark Twain)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sat, Jul 17 2010 6:41 PM

>> "You are what you eat."

I know what vegetarians eat.  What do humanitarians eat?

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Sat, Jul 17 2010 11:38 PM

Sauce recipes are sacred and never to be shared lol

And I agree on the eyeballing thing... I don't measure anything out when I make my sauce, meatballs, etc.

Every great cook will know exactly what to put just by looking at it ;-)

-- Certifications --

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 2,780
Chainzsaw replied on Mon, Jul 19 2010 12:38 PM

Awesome thanks Real.

I'll try it out sometime this week.

Current computer:

Asus G73JH-A1

Core i7 720QM

8GB Ram