Need of short tutorial about Water / Liquid Cooling

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 2,240
Kyouya Posted: Mon, Jul 5 2010 11:14 PM

When it comes to water or liquid cooling, I know nothing. All I knew about water cooling was that it requires a lot of maintenance and cost. Other than that, I am a complete noob.

However, I've been noticing companies trying to promote water or liquid cooling to the mainstream. I saw this a couple of months back...

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5267687&Sku=C13-2528

I've read reviews about this product which is mostly positive. I've seen how it is also installed. Am I miss something here? I thought water coolers were suppose to big, possibly noisy and requires a lot of filtration for the water.

I bring this up now because with the new core i7 chips coming out at the end of the year, I would like to learn what type of cooling is the most quiet and effective. Also, how much of an advantage does it bring to a regular heatsink?

A short tutorial would be great.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

Its great, systems like that are ok but for the price air can do much better. now custom setups are great but they are 300 min. you can make your computer run virtually silent 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Jul 6 2010 1:49 AM

I studied a lot about water cooling because of my newfound desire to create a custom PC. A 10K PC but a PC nonetheless. Anyways, here is some of the stuff that I know.

From what you heard, radiators are not noisy, they just dissipate the heat that comes through the water. The speed of the fans is what is considered the noisiest. Some people would put up with running their fan at a certain speed but some people use fan controllers like MCubed (the ones with the temperature sensors) in order to automatically control how much speed the fans use so that the heat gets out of the radiator and provides an optimal cooling experience.

It doesn't just cover the CPU. it can cover the Graphics Card, Hard Drive, Memory and Motherboard (any part of the motherboard that generates heat) using things called blocks which can be installed the same way a heatsink would, the water flows through the blocks and it transfers the heat from the metal to the radiator where the heat is dissipated from the water. A water pump is required as not only is it required to keep the system cool but it's required to provide a consistent flow from the tank to the blocks to the radiator. If there wasn't a water pump then the water would be heated and the heat would have nowhere to do therefore degrading system performance and a tank is where the water is held that will circulate through the system. When you're shopping for these things, make sure you read a lot of reviews for these things, you don't want to end up with a block or a pump that doesn't work as well as you expect it too. There are many types of fluids for water cooling but the most recommended is plain tap water as there are no extra chemicals in pure tap water and if chemicals are introduced into watercooling then it can hinder the watercooling setup.

The advantage for water cooling is huge as it can increase overclocking potential by cooling the CPU or graphics card better then a fan could. Overclockers include water cooling in their systems in order to get higher overclocks above 4GHz, and if you're not interested in overclocking then it should help increase your computer's longevity.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255

The corsair H50 is designed to compete with high end air cooling for the cpu.  This is an all in one system that cannot compete with custom loops.  I have one in my pc and it works great, I don't overclock though

i7 950 - ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - ASUS GTX 570 - AZZA Hurricane - 6 GB Corsair 1600 - Corsair AX750 - WD 1tb black  Cool Thank You HH!!!!!!Cool

AMD 1090T - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - XFX HD5850 x2 - CM Storm Scout - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Corsair HX850 - Sammy spinpoint f3 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Jul 6 2010 10:56 AM

lifeskills:

The corsair H50 is designed to compete with high end air cooling for the cpu.  This is an all in one system that cannot compete with custom loops.  I have one in my pc and it works great, I don't overclock though

I disagree. Water cooling is separate from air cooling and I don't think it's their intention to compete with air cooling. While I would use this product when I only need to cool down my CPU, It can't cool my graphics card or my memory or anything on the motherboard other than the CPU. Custom loops are considered to be true watercooling, anything else is child's play.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255

I agree this is not true watercooling, but it does keep my CPU at a nice cool 30C, call this childs play if you will.  I don't OC for now and my vid card might get its own loop when the time comes(when I get less poor).  Definitely glad to say that I got this whole system for about as much or less than a waterblock.

i7 950 - ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - ASUS GTX 570 - AZZA Hurricane - 6 GB Corsair 1600 - Corsair AX750 - WD 1tb black  Cool Thank You HH!!!!!!Cool

AMD 1090T - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - XFX HD5850 x2 - CM Storm Scout - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Corsair HX850 - Sammy spinpoint f3 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Wed, Jul 7 2010 9:26 AM

H50 may not be the best water cooler it is realy good at keeping  your cpu cool for the price. Got one for 60 bucks a couple of months ago and keeps my cpu runing around 36c.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 2,240
Kyouya replied on Wed, Jul 7 2010 12:11 PM

Thanks for your opinions everybody. It's good to hear everyone's perspective about water and liquid cooling. I realized that a lot of investment and commitment needs to be made if I want to go all out water cooling. Regarding the Corsair H50, I am still concerned about its longevity. After hearing opinions from intermediate and expert users, I am think of opting for a Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B CPU Cooler.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Wed, Jul 7 2010 1:41 PM

the corsair h50 for me has been going good so far i think i bought it around january and is still running good. Much better then my old ZEROtherm ZEN FZ120

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS