MIT Researchers Pushing The Internet Up To 1000x Faster

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,721
Points 1,208,890
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jul 2 2010 10:09 AM
A faster Internet has been a dream for many, and it has been a continually changing dream as broadband speeds got faster and faster. When 56k was the norm, just getting an ISDN line was a huge step-up. From there, ADSL or cable was another leap forward. Today, we need fiber to get things even faster, and while many universities and companies have tons of bandwidth on tap, we all yearn for something even quicker.

Leave it to one of the brightest institutions in the world to find a way. A group of MIT researchers led by Vincent Chan, the Joan and Irwin Jacobs Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science has recently showcased "new way of organizing optical networks that, in most cases, would eliminate this inefficient conversion process; as a result, it could make the Internet 100 or even 1,000 times faster while actually reducing the amount of energy it consumes." Did you read that? An Internet that's 100x or 1000x faster than today. We know the Internet2 delivers insane speeds for very specialized applications, but something like this could benefit the masses in a huge way.

Content is growing more and more complex, and shuffling data quickly is becoming a serious problem. The new approach, which is called "flow switching," solves the problems that arise when "optical signals coming from different directions reach a router at the same time." Basically, this is a more sophisticated way of managing Internet traffic, and with better handling comes better speed. We can't be for sure when this will actually become a part of our daily lives, and we doubt it will be soon. But just to know someone is working on making our Steam downloads even faster helps us sleep easier at night.
  • | Post Points: 140
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 140

max i ever get on steam is 2mb, this would be great (pwhittak) add us

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665

The the madness begin, i mean everyone is looking for faster internet! Must get faster speeds!!!!! I word love to have my internet 100x faster but 1000x is madness! lol (Not saying i don't want a 1000x faster internet...)

"But just to know someone is working on making our Steam downloads even faster helps us sleep easier at night."

You might just not sleep with all that speed when its done...

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 675

Steam downloads are fast, maybe a little shy of 2mb; I feel happy when that happens. I feel ashamed I ever felt that, 1000 times faster!! that's banana's, bring it.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 153
Points 1,705

This is great news as more and more we are streaming HD videos and using massive amounts of bandwidth with every passing year.

Kudos MIT students.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Jul 3 2010 8:06 AM

Inspector, no internet is fast enough. People would like to download anything at speeds not possible by current standards. That's why I see people with signatures showing a unknown internet provider that shows speeds higher then what I can currently gain. Let's face it, we're all speed whores here; plus this will be beneficial once bandwidth intensive web applications start to pop up.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345
sackyhack replied on Sat, Jul 3 2010 12:34 PM

I'm having trouble even imagining that. I remember when I switched from 56k to Cable internet, thinking 'This is it, it can't get any faster'. For me browsing is relatively instant right now. I know it would help with downloading large files, but with ISPs clamping down on heavy users I'm not so sure...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,765
Points 105,040
MembershipAdministrator

I have 10MBPs now and it seems fast to me, but 100 would be better. Like Sackyhack, 1000 is more than I can even imagine. I was stuck on dialup @24,600 baud for many years when I lived out in the sticks, so what I have now, I appreciate.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 180
Points 1,660

Now i say this is cool. on steam the max i got was 3.2 mb/s

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 90
mrlarry replied on Mon, Jul 19 2010 1:33 AM

I remember 2400 baud ,9400 , 14600 , 56k 5m/1m , 10m/2m now , its never enough . When is the new speed coming . Its never enough

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Mon, Jul 19 2010 2:17 AM

On Steam I usually hit 2MB/s or 16Mbps.

It's pretty decent... but when you're trying to download a 10GB game... it seems rather slow. lol

Usually i'll just leave a game downloading over night. :-) But if it was 1,000x faster.... That game would be done in 5 seconds... wooo! Now that would rock! (if my SSDs could write at 2GB/s that is lol)

Once again the storage is the bottleneck.

Time to bring back ramdrive? ;-)

It would work good as a temporary median/buffer before it is perminantly saved :-)

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS