HTC Touch Pro2 Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,094
Points 1,183,400
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Jun 22 2010 1:27 PM

HTC Touch Pro2 ReviewWhen the HTC Touch Pro2 initially became available, it was one of the best business-class smartphones on the market. Fast-forward to today, and we've seen quite a few new phones hit the market since the Touch Pro2 was released. Despite the availability of competing phones, however, the case could be made that the Touch Pro2 is still a worthy contender in the smartphone space.

We'll be taking a closer look at the Sprint variant of the Touch Pro2 in this review, but keep in mind similarly equipped models are also available from Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile, and other carriers...

HTC Touch Pro2 Review

• | Post Points: 110
Not Ranked
Posts 59
Points 1,055
LaMpiR replied on Tue, Jun 22 2010 2:59 PM

What? This phone is old...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Still trying to hit the sidekick market?

Unless this is free, I don't see how this would compete with the EVO.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,359
Points 48,655
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Tue, Jun 22 2010 7:19 PM

Well, you can get it free on contract. But, as someone who owns one of these with a custom ROM installed, it can absolutely compete with the EVO. Maybe not in terms of performance, but the keyboard and flexibility of the custom OS make it a very useful device.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

I guess being free, it would hit on the kids who grew up with the sidekick.

I hope the windows platform stays strong. I never really got the whole Slide keyboard thing, to hard on my fingers. you would think that they would have voice recognition, like "Dragon naturally speaking" built in by now?

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,359
Points 48,655
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Tue, Jun 22 2010 11:11 PM

Some phones have voice recognitions (with the custom ROM, the TP2 does for some apps like Google Maps, etc.) But I think the mics are too crappy and the CPUs are too slow to do it properly, plus the additional processing would severly sap battery power.

Windows Phone 7 looks like it could be nice, but it unfortunately saddles the chefs cooking custom ROMs, so I think many of them will move on to Android.

Marco Chiappetta

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,911
Points 24,625
digitaldd replied on Wed, Jun 23 2010 9:47 AM

I've had the T-Mobile version of this phone since last September. Its very good overall but somethings are annoying for example they have stocks/weather/facebook/twitter all integrated into HTC Sense but nothing for local sports scores? Skyfire is a better browser than Opera and it allows playback of flash video, both of those go through proxy servers so I wouldn't log into anything critical with them. F-Secure has a nice security app which has a free version that will allow you to remote wipe/lock your phone via SMS, another app Lookout has similar options. basically there are tons of cool apps out there but they aren't neatly integrated into an app store like Apple.

oh and the big negative on the TP2 is the 528mhz cpu isn't fast enough for video playback without reencoding your video, even with coreplayer or tcpmp. Also the HTC Sense music player is wonky at best you are much better served using the Windows Media Player or perhaps an old pocketpc standy of mine Mortplayer.

I've found Google Maps doesn't like the GPS on my phone it thinks I'm several miles from where I am all the time. yet Bing can find me anywhere since both do voice searches, Bing's better in my book.

Two feature I love are 2 clicks to tether it to a computer via USB or bluetooth. And it works as a wi-fi router pretty easily [no app to buy or add], although in that mode it drains the battery fast.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,359
Points 48,655
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Thu, Jun 24 2010 3:03 PM

Hey Digitaldd,

Have you tried updating the phone with some of the custom software out there?  When coupled with the latest Radio software for the phone, many of the custom ROMs out there resolve all of the isues you mention, except for the local sports scores things--although there may be an app for that.

I actually have full DVD's ripped to my phone, so I can play Baby Einstein videos for my baby girl when she's getting fussy and they playback beautifully. And don't have any of the GPS issues.

No software is going to overcome the limitations of the slower CPU, but some of the custom ROMs noticably speed up the device.

Marco Chiappetta

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,911
Points 24,625
digitaldd replied on Fri, Jun 25 2010 10:48 AM

Marco C:

Hey Digitaldd,

Have you tried updating the phone with some of the custom software out there?  When coupled with the latest Radio software for the phone, many of the custom ROMs out there resolve all of the isues you mention, except for the local sports scores things--although there may be an app for that.

I actually have full DVD's ripped to my phone, so I can play Baby Einstein videos for my baby girl when she's getting fussy and they playback beautifully. And don't have any of the GPS issues.

No software is going to overcome the limitations of the slower CPU, but some of the custom ROMs noticably speed up the device.

Problem with the custom ROMs I've tried is none of them work properly with the T-Mobile version of the phone as far as the baseband settings. I get wayy too many dropped calls and slowed data speed on 3G with the different ROMs I've tried and yes I've tried the ever popular NRG and TMPU ones.

Yes video playback is great when you re-encode whatever video you have for the device, I've just always found it odd that my old Windows PocketPC PDA with a 400mhz Xscale CPU [circa 2002] could playback very high bitrate xvid video without me having to do any re-encoding yet a phone with a faster CPU drops frames left and right.

Been using windows mobile phones for a long time and even my original Samsung Blackjack could playback the same kind of video files without dropping frames and that had a 300mhz CPU.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,359
Points 48,655
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Sun, Jun 27 2010 6:43 PM

Weird.  It could be a driver issue then. There's no way the BlackJack should outperform the TP2.

With regard to the dropped calls, etc., with the custom ROMs, have you also flashed your Radio?  Many of the newers ROMs recommend radio .77 or .91.  WIth the latest Radio software and a new ROM, you may have better luck.

Marco Chiappetta

Follow Marco on Twitter

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
vkteky replied on Tue, Sep 28 2010 6:24 AM

cool review dude, keep it up, thanks

htctouch.org

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS