Thermaltake Mid-Tower Chassis Has Integrated SATA HDD Dock

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,884
Points 1,116,920
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Jun 17 2010 8:01 AM
Thermaltake is really known for two things: cases, and the Level 10. The Level 10 really put the company on the map this year, as it's easily the most incredible, towering PC chassis to be sold at large to the adoring public. But not every person is interested in a giant, $500+ case. So Thermaltake is continuing to innovate, bringing out new options for those who haven't seen a reason to upgrade their enclosure in a decade.

The company's newest mid-tower is a real winner: the V9 BlacX Edition. It's the world's first mid-tower chassis to have an integrated dual-bay docking station right in the front, which allows for easy swapping of 2.5" and 3.5" SATA hard drives. If you've ever had a spare HDD just laying around, but found it too difficult to fully install on the inside of a case just to check for a lost file, this is your answer. A number of SATA HDD docks have shipped in the past year, but those require USB connections along with power ports; this solution is fully integrated, and it's something we wish all cases offered.

The case even has a blue-coded USB port on the front for signifying that USB 3.0 is present, and the magic doesn't stop on the outside. The case also offers 10 storage bays and 7 PCI expansion slots, so even those with more peripherals than can be easily counted should be okay here. The case is expected to ship in August for $99, which is a steal given that integrated docking station alone.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,420

I like this Im going to have to see more, love the idea of that docking station and if the looks pass it might be something I would like to have! I,ve had a couple thermaltake cases before nice ones and really liked them!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Jun 17 2010 1:23 PM

I just love to see more USB 3.0 ports on the front, it's a new standard ladies and gentlemen and it's also backwards compatible. I can't wait until USB 3.0 and SATA 6/GBs replaces USB 2.0 and SATA 3.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Thu, Jun 17 2010 6:31 PM

I like the integrated dock, but I'm sure that most of us geeks already have SATA/PATA-USB connectors and power bricks lying around. Definitely a bonus for the up-and-coming geek-to-be though.

Is that cable coming out the back for the dock? You'd think they'd allow you to run it straight to the motherboard connectors (USB3 or SATA) instead.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 1,735

"Is that cable coming out the back for the dock? You'd think they'd allow you to run it straight to the motherboard connectors (USB3 or SATA) instead."

No, I don't think it's for the dock. The dock is basically a hot-swappable SATA extension cord, so that goes into the motherboard. However, I have yet to see a motherboard with onboard USB 3.0 headers, so that blue wire running to the back is almost definitely going from the front USB 3.0 port to a rear USB 3.0 port.

Sweet case, either way. Definitely cooler than even the Cooler Master 690 II, which has a similar feature.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

One question, does the hard drive sit that far out when its in the dock?  Or does it go in further?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
no1 replied on Sun, Jun 20 2010 2:57 PM

Can you hot plug drives into these things, or do you have to power down first?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

3vi1:

I like the integrated dock, but I'm sure that most of us geeks already have SATA/PATA-USB connectors and power bricks lying around. Definitely a bonus for the up-and-coming geek-to-be though.

Is that cable coming out the back for the dock? You'd think they'd allow you to run it straight to the motherboard connectors (USB3 or SATA) instead.

Yeah, but that is still cool. Gimmicky and practical at the same time.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Wed, Jul 7 2010 5:06 PM

this case is realy nice, just built a computer with it and it has great airflow with a huge side fan that gives great airflow with the huge top fan. The back fan also gives pretty nice airflow because it has more then the normal amount of fan blades on a fan which spins realy fast. Not that the cooling was the point of this post but felt like mentioning the airflow of the case

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,071
Points 37,990
acarzt replied on Thu, Jul 8 2010 7:04 PM

no1:

Can you hot plug drives into these things, or do you have to power down first?

SATA by design, is hot swappable.

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 160
Points 2,380
werty316 replied on Thu, Jul 8 2010 11:17 PM

Get idea but now people won't need to buy their docking station since you get it with this case.

There is no god, there is only Chuck Norris.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,071
Points 37,990
acarzt replied on Fri, Jul 9 2010 1:20 AM

I tried to find this case on Newegg... they only have it without the dock unfortunately. Anyone know where you can pick this up with the dock build in?

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS