Both Apple, AT&T Sell Out of iPhone 4s

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,393
Points 1,192,505
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jun 16 2010 10:19 AM
Those concerned that AT&T's servers would be hopelessly overwhelmed on Wednesday, as they were on Tuesday, when iPhone 4 pre-orders went live, need not be concerned. They are sold out, not just from AT&T, but from Apple.

It had earlier been reported on Tuesday that AT&T had sold out of its allotment of the iPhone 4, Apple's latest version of its smartphone. Apple usually keeps a far higher number of these for itself, but despite that, Apple has sold out of its supply, as well. Its store website info now reads, "delivery by July 2nd," meaning all those black iPhone 4s allocated for the June 24th launch day are exhausted.

The sell-out occurred despite the fact that for much of the day on Tuesday, AT&T's servers were overwhelmed by demand, although much of the fault was of their own making. AT&T had reportedly installed a database upgrade over the weekend, and because of some issues, had not fully tested the change. This, of course, casts another pall over Apple's BFF: what company in their right mind would make such a change so near an important launch date?

It seems other partners are out of stock as well. Radio Shack's Twitter account posted the bad news only 90 minutes after pre-orders began:
#iPhone4 requests have ended due to overwhelming customer response. More launch details to come #shackiphones
This doesn't mean you can't get an iPhone 4 on June 24th. It does mean you either have to stand-in line at a retailer such as Wal-mart on launch day or like white iPhones. For some unknown reason, the white iPhone 4 was not available for pre-order on Tuesday, and is still not at the time of this writing. If Apple allows pre-ordering for that devices, the floodgates (and server pressure) will be open again, at least for those who like white.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Wed, Jun 16 2010 3:44 PM

Rofl, yeah but the question is who did they sell them to actual account owners or people who auto stole there account via At&t IT department. From what I heard if you logged into At&t over the weekend and through Monday you ran about a 60% chance of being auto logged into someone Else's account at random. This gave out there address, CC info, account standing, and options for your new jacked phone. I also understand this could have been any At&t user across the united states (which was given to you), not just an iPhone user or upgrading client. If your an At&t user I would definitely be checking my account daily, oh and that's on top of the 140,000 iPad users as well as an unknown number of iPhone users whose information was stolen last week.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

That who account thing is crazy. The only way to truely fix it is to dump all preorders made through when they shut it down Tuesday. I see some lawsuits happening since AT&T was basicly giving away CC numbers, names, and addresses. Talk about easy identity theft.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,917
Points 24,670
digitaldd replied on Fri, Jun 18 2010 9:32 AM

Hmm don't produce enough units for the launch so you create a frenzy to get the devices. isn't that Apple's MO?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS