Samsung's Latest SpinPoint Boasts One Head, Speedy Performance

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,805
Points 1,164,485
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Jun 15 2010 12:43 PM
When Samsung first introduced its F1 series of hard drives several years ago, the company was pushing its way through the terabyte barrier, joining a then elite club of high-capacity drive makers. Now in its fourth generation, Samsung is kicking off its new SpinPoint F4 series with a 320GB hard drive designed for "superior performance and high reliability," the company announced.

"Higher performance combined with increasing capacities continues to accelerate demand for 3.5” drives in desktops storage," said In-Chul Park, vice president of sales, storage systems division, Samsung Electronics. "The one-head platform of the new 7200rpm Spinpoint F4, packing up to 320GB of storage capacity per one head in half platter, delivers added reliability that our customers have come to expect from Samsung."

Samsung F3 pictured above

Utilizing a one-head design means there are less mechanical parts and thus less chances of hardware failure. The one-head construction also pays dividends in acoustics, but that isn't all. According to Samsung, the new F4 320GB not only offers 10 percent better read and write performance compared to the SpinPoint F1, but also consumes 7 percent less power.

Other hardware specs include a 7200RPM speed rotation, SATA 3Gbps interface, and 8MB/16MB buffer. Samsung says the SpinPoint F4 is available now to "key OEMS."
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil Star [*] replied on Wed, Jun 16 2010 10:00 AM

Mechanical Drives, though not a fast as SSD's, still offer up some exceptional performance and prices too. This will be one of the good ones, I think. The only thing lacking is a large Cache Memory like the WD 1.5TB Black at NewEgg that has a 64MB Cache onboard.

For some of us that just can't afford, or refuse to pay really high prices for 'tiny' SSD drives, (tiny by today's standards anyway) the constant advances in mechanical drives mean a lot. They just keep on making them better all of the time. And while I fully understand that an SSD drive represents a huge performance increase for most high-end computers, I just can't detect any farts, burps, or other 'lack of performance displays' on any of my gaming machines. I don't feel that I'm running "crippled" when I use them and they run as smooth as Snake Snot.

This makes it easy to wait for the SSD Price Madness to dispel.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 2,780
Chainzsaw replied on Thu, Jun 17 2010 5:15 PM

Interesting. I know a way they could make "faster" mechanical hard drives. First off make 10K RPM standard. That will increase speed (obviously...). Another thing is, they should really re-think the design of hard drives.

Wouldn't Hard drives be much faster if they look more like donuts? What I mean by this is, if the middle part of the platter was cut out, and the HD would only read the outside of the HD platter. For stability, the donut could have "spokes" to keep the rigidity, much like a tires rim.

This would reduce weight of the HD, and have a much more consistent speed. Of course you are sacrificing storage space, but with Perpindicular recording now mainstream in Hard Drives, I'm betting you can easily stuff 300-400 gigs into a mechanical hard drives. Has any manufacturer thought of this? I'm guessing not.

Well there goes my million dollar idea, after somebody, somewhere reading this, may make it so!

Current computer:

Asus G73JH-A1

Core i7 720QM

Mobility Radeon 5870 1GBVRAM

8GB Ram

1 X OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

1 X 500GB HDD

17.3FHD (1080P) Panel

Blu Ray Drive (reader)

HDMI Out

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS