Kiss Windows XP Goodbye on New Netbooks

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,694
Points 1,156,740
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jun 11 2010 5:09 PM
In a blog post this week, Microsoft made sure to remind everyone that XP's deadline date is fast approaching, making specific mention of netbooks. Come October 22, 2010, "OEMs will no longer be able to pre-install Windows XP Home on new netbook PCs," no matter how much consumers may want it. So is another stay of execution coming?

Don't bank on it, as should be pretty obvious by Microsoft posting the blog entry in the first place. And unlike when Vista was the only Windows alternative around, Windows 7 has been much better received. Citing NPD's Retail Tracking Service, Microsoft pointed out that by April 2010, some 81 percent of netbooks units sold at retail here in the states came with Windows 7 pre-installed. In other words, XP has largely been dethroned anyway, so even though the deadline looms for OEMs, it should be a fairly painless transition.

Nevertheless, if you just can't fathom picking up a new netbook with anything but XP installed, start your back-to-school shopping a little early this year.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

Many people who went from XP to vista hated it. I was one of them but I personally love Vista, and I haven't had a single issue with it. I think some people are afraid that W7 is Vista in another skin, and in a sense it is and it isn't.

But I think this is the natural step forward. I imagine that October is also the deadline when they will stop releasing support drivers as well? Or have they already done that.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,814
Points 45,635
rapid1 replied on Fri, Jun 11 2010 5:57 PM

As far as it goes I love WIN7, of course I've also been using it predominately since the first day of initial beta in one form or another. Of course I have also been on beta for all M$ OS's (in the retail sector predominately, but some Business ones to) since Win 98, so I am used to messing around with them. I personally hated VISTA even though I have both a 32 and 64 bit gold disk from M$, I have never really used either one. Of course I would install them in separate partitions and mess around with them. Either way the trophy has now been passed to 7, and it seems to me to be everything XP was with many extras. As far as it goes it also has versions which are operational successfully with decent performance on lesser hardware platforms (IE: Tablet/Slate, Netbook). I would also prefer 7 to any other version even XP on such devices!

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

It makes sense from Microsoft's point of view to phase out XP. Less XP equals more Windows 7 customers.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

This is the best news ever! I hate when people ask me for XP... 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,763
Points 40,465
Inspector replied on Fri, Jun 11 2010 10:56 PM

Bye Bye kitty... lol

I bet everyone here saw this coming... Its all business to them :D

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,560
Points 103,055
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Jun 12 2010 8:00 AM

Anything that I have around here that doesn't run Win7 already has a free version of Linux on it anyway. XP had a much longer run than it should have due to the incredible steaming turd that was Vista. (nonfunctional until a service pack was released)

They should pack XP up and send it into history, it was good, but had it's moments with security issues too. (try installing a fresh copy of XP on a computer without updates and go surfing with it to see what I mean)

With more and more software being moved into the cloud, it isn't so important to have a Microsoft OS on your PC anymore. Their relevance is based on the fact that most really good PC games are ported to Windows. A few other high end PC titles help the MS cause as well.

Free Linux OS's provide any program function you would want to do with a PC (full software suites for free) They work with more stability and speed too.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Sat, Jun 12 2010 12:40 PM

Wouldn't it be wonderful if netbooks - and other computers - didn't come with pre-installed operating systems, but instead purchasers were asked by distributors if they 1) they desired help in installing one, and 2) in that case, which OS they wished to have installed ? Those who wanted a Windows flavour could pay what Microsoft choose to charge, while those who wanted a Linux or BSD, etc, flavour could pay what they cost. Of course, such a process might have significant consequences for the quasi-monopoly situation that obtains in the OS market today, but most of us, I am certain, could live with that....

Henri

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

mhenriday:
Wouldn't it be wonderful if netbooks - and other computers - didn't come with pre-installed operating systems, but instead purchasers were asked by distributors if they 1) they desired help in installing one, and 2) in that case, which OS they wished to have installed ? Those who wanted a Windows flavour could pay what Microsoft choose to charge, while those who wanted a Linux or BSD, etc, flavour could pay what they cost.

Sadly I don't think it would ever work. It's funny really. My parents have just moved back to VA and my Mom was over and needed to look something up. I handed her my netbook and she got online and checked her email and looked up what she needed. Never mentioned anything about it being odd. It is running Ubuntu Netbook Remix. But if I am to bring up the word Linux her eyes will just glaze over.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS