AT&T Puts An End To Unlimited Data Plans

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,096
Points 1,183,410
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jun 2 2010 5:01 PM

AT&T is rolling out new data plans for smartphones and tablets. Starting next Monday (the same day Apple is expected to unveil a new iPhone), AT&T will begin offering new data plans with preset amounts of monthly data access. This also means that the current $30-per-month unlimited data plan will no longer be available to new users.

The new data plans will offer users three options:

• DataPlus: This $15/month plan will provide for 200MB of data, which AT&T says will be enough to send/receive 1,000 emails (no attachments), send/receive 150 emails with attachments, view 400 Web pages, post 50 photos on social media sites, and watch 20 minutes of streaming video. Should you exceed the 200MB allotment, you'll receive an additional 200MB for use within that same billing cycle for an additional $15. AT&T claims that 65 percent of its smartphone customers use less than 200 MB of data per month on average.
  • DataPro: For heavier data users, the DataPro plan costs $25 per month and includes 2GB of data. Should you exceed the initial 2GB allotment, you will get an additional 1 GB of data for $10 for use in the cycle. AT&T says 98 percent of its smartphone customers use less than 2 GB of data per month on average.
  • Tethering: If you want to use your smartphone as a modem, you'll have to pay an additional $20 per month. AT&T said tethering for iPhones will be available when Apple releases iPhone OS 4 this summer.   

The new plans include unlimited access at no additional charge to more than 20,000 AT&T Wi-Fi Hot Spots in the U.S. To help users manage their data usage, AT&T plans to send free text messages after customers reach different usage intervals. The carrier will also provide online tools including a smartphone app that shows monthly usage information. 

For now, current AT&T smartphone customers will be able to keep their unlimited data plans if they like. Current iPad customers with the $29.99 per month unlimited plan will be able to keep that plan or switch to a new $25 per month plan that includes 2 GB of data.

In announcing the new plans, AT&T said that it believes the new options will make it more affordable for more people to enjoy mobile Internet access.

• | Post Points: 80
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20
JHuang replied on Wed, Jun 2 2010 5:32 PM

So how about tethering for current iPhone unlimited data plan owners? Would i have to pay the 20 bucks extra?

Last month i used um... i don't know how to read the bill... lol

It says "Msg/KB/MB used"= 599,461 (Is it in KB or MB form?)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670

^Woops logged in to wrong account -.- ^

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Wed, Jun 2 2010 11:16 PM

Hey JHuang divide the 599461 by 1024 for MB then again by the same number for GB. I am pretty sure you did not use that many MB. It would seem to me that would be KB total used for messages and data with the divided answer being your megabyte total. If you divide megabytes by the same number 1024 you will get GB's. By the way you used just over a half a gigabyte (or .57169005 GB). You may want to confirm this with your cellular provider to make sure.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Jun 3 2010 9:08 AM

I fear this might be the beginning of the end.

I mean I like unlimited plans as much as the next guy but I don't want to be forced to pay more. I get the idea these phone companies are trying to push but as a guy who has not yet bought a cellphone (google's probably laughing at my face right now), I feel like I'm being left out here.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,890
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Jun 3 2010 10:13 AM

This is just another reason to avoid AT&T like the plague.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS