JooJoo Creator Lashes Out At iPad, Makes A Few Decent Points

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,882
Points 1,116,760
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, May 30 2010 7:50 PM
Remember the JooJoo? What started out as the CrunchPad eventually becameFusion Garage's JooJoo, a massive tablet PC that drawfs the iPad, playsFlash video but has yet to sell more than a handful of units worldwide.The lack of marketing has really hurt the product, and Apple coming outwith something similar surely did not help their cause. But if youthought bad timing would make Fusion Garage's CEO bitter, you werewrong. He's just disgusted.

According to a new report, Chandra Rathakrishna (creator of the JooJoo),recently had a few choice words about the iPad, and while sales wouldobviously say otherwise, there's nothing like a little bitterness tochuckle over on a holiday. Here's his quotes on Apple's first tablet,and you may want to sit down and swallow whatever liquid you have inyour mouth before continuing on:

"JooJoo delivers the entire Internet - including Flash-based websites.That means you can play full versions of games, watch full-screen HDvideo and not have to be constrained within the 'walled garden' of theiPad environment. [The iPad is just] another storage device with webcapabilities."

Yikes! Now, he did confess that "Every Apple product launch is greattheater," and that he's thankful for them bringing attention to thetablet market, but it's clear he's not on board with their approach.Basically, he's knocking the iPad for not giving people the fullInternet experience that is promised, and on that note, he's right onthe money. Flash-based websites simply won't load on the iPad, nor willthey ever judging by Steve Jobs' hatred of the system. He also statedthat Fusion Garage "doesn't see the need for an app store; an app storesells stripped downversions of actual websites."

That may be the biggest blow yet. The App Store is arguably what hasallowed Apple to grow their market share so far. With over 200,000iPhone and iPad apps, people have access to nearly any software theywant. It's a competitive advantage that no other platform has, thoughAndroid seems to be slowly catching up with around 50,000 apps availablenow. So, is this guy just talking junk as a last resort to get peopleto pay attention to his iPad rival, or is he making some legitimatepoints underneath the anger?

• | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 2,780
Chainzsaw replied on Mon, May 31 2010 10:55 AM

The JooJoo is nice, but unlike Apple, hardly anyone has heard of them.

Not to mention too, they have an extreme lack of 3rd party support such as an "App store".

For some reason, I can't see them doing very well.

Current computer:

Asus G73JH-A1

Core i7 720QM

Mobility Radeon 5870 1GBVRAM

8GB Ram

1 X OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

1 X 500GB HDD

17.3FHD (1080P) Panel

Blu Ray Drive (reader)

HDMI Out

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,071
Points 37,990
acarzt replied on Mon, May 31 2010 3:27 PM

I didn't even know the Joo Joo was already on sale lol

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Mon, May 31 2010 7:27 PM

Yes there lack of an advertising budget is killing them it seems. I agree with most of his points, and also know of several to add. However; the biggest part of a business with a product to sell is advertising in some way. Just as an Example how many of you have heard about the HTC EVO coming to Sprint on the fourth, then how many of you have seen a TV advertisement for it. I personally have not seen a single television add for it, I don't think I have even seen a Print one. We will see what happens during June with it, but I bet it will be sold out in a short amount of time. That is unless HTC and Sprint have made sure it would be otherwise. Unlike Apple and the iPhone it is generally and adaptation of several build with a 3G/4G communications chip. Of course the items in close proximity to it spec wise generally differ in screen, and the communications available. Fusion Garage could do this if they had the mind to do so. With a device like this, and from what I believe it was released before the iPad, it could have been something I think with more direct promotion. I am kind of doubting it (the company) will make it past the end of this year, if not at the most until next year. That is unless they are bought out by someone else, which is what I personally think they were looking for to begin with.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, May 31 2010 10:45 PM

While I do agree with some of his points, I do think that this is mainly for publicity. I mean I've never heard of the JooJoo until now and looking at it, I think it is a nice gadget and I think that it has some advantages over the iPad but I don't know, they need all of the marketing budget and while being bought out might not be the answer, I do think they need to bring in investors into the company.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

TaylorKarras:
While I do agree with some of his points, I do think that this is mainly for publicity. I mean I've never heard of the JooJoo until now

Well you missed one heck of a development and launch.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630

Reminds me of Walter Lantz (the creator of Woody Woodpecker)'s comment (possibly apocryphal): "Yeah, well, f--- Disney and his goddamn mouse."

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Wed, Jun 2 2010 7:43 PM

ROFL, ClemSnide.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

I like it when they talk this junk, and then prove themselves with a good product!

You can put a nice paper towel over the dog poop spray it with perfume and convince everyone it is a sandwich and sell it to them. Apple can spend all it wants on Paper towels and perfume! If JooJoo delivers a real sandwich at a tasty price, people will know where to go! No Turtleneck convincing necessary :P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance