Bigfoot Networks And PowerColor Create GPU/NIC Combo Card

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,882
Points 1,116,805
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, May 28 2010 4:42 PM
To date, Bigfoot Networks has remained mostly a niche company. Only hardcore gamers know about them, and even fewer are willing to pay north of $100 for a high-end NIC card. Bigfoot Networks has had a relatively simple product line over the years: a high-end network card here, and a revamped high-end network card there. You get the drift, we're sure.

But now the company is trying to break out in a big way, with a new partnership shedding light on how the company may eventually find themselves involved in other areas. Just as the CPU/GPU were able to overlap in time, Bigfoot Networks is looking beyond the Killer line of network cards by teaming with TUL Corporation, a leading manufacturer of ATI graphics cards under the PowerColor brand. The companies will be jointly introducing a new Gaming Combo Card at Computex, which is said to combine "best of breed" PC graphics and networking for online gaming."

The card at the show will only be a prototype, but it has potential for gamers interested in raising their frame rates and lowering their ping times, which is just about all of them. The Gaming Combo Card is the world's first single card, PCI Express solution combining Bigfoot Networks' Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card technology and ATI Radeon HD 5000 graphics family technology. Aside from great visual performance and DirectX 11 support, there's also the card's ability to classify "network traffic and separates game data for priority treatment, while reducing freezing, stuttering and other symptoms of lag."

Obviously, no mention of price has been announced yet, as this is still very early-on in design.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Sun, May 30 2010 4:27 PM

This seems kind of ridiculous to me. I don't have any exact thermals etc, but it would seem to me that throwing in a NIC which also runs it's own OS like the Killer units do would add restrictively to the heat output, not to mention the options available (AUTO OC etc) in many GPU's today.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sun, May 30 2010 5:42 PM

I don't know. I think this works because they got a fan cooler to cool down the NPU but I'd like it if they would of announced a version for motherboards, because that's what the gamers primarily use.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,341
Points 48,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Sun, May 30 2010 6:35 PM

Heat wouldn't be an issue at all. The latest rev of the Killer NIC doesn't even require a heatsink.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 283
Points 2,780
Chainzsaw replied on Mon, May 31 2010 10:21 AM

Wow interesting concept.

Are we going to be seeing a new "All-In-Wonder" card soon with VIVO + Sound + Lan? That would be pretty sweet.

Current computer:

Asus G73JH-A1

Core i7 720QM

Mobility Radeon 5870 1GBVRAM

8GB Ram

1 X OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

1 X 500GB HDD

17.3FHD (1080P) Panel

Blu Ray Drive (reader)

HDMI Out

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Chainzsaw:

Wow interesting concept.

Are we going to be seeing a new "All-In-Wonder" card soon with VIVO + Sound + Lan? That would be pretty sweet.

That's what worries me. I used to like the All-In-Wonder cards, but I have had the same TV Tuner for years, while graphics cards are upgraded much more often. Would be the same deal with network cards. You upgrade a graphics cards way more often that a network card.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Jun 4 2010 1:02 PM

Marco C:

Heat wouldn't be an issue at all. The latest rev of the Killer NIC doesn't even require a heatsink.

That's good news, now all we need is a motherboard manufacture to put the Killer NIC on the motherboard and the rest as they say is history.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

I feel like something would get bogged down, as in too much different types of info flowing to and from the card.  Or have I underestimated PCI-E.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS