Air Display Converts Your iPad Into A Secondary Display For Just $10

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,160
Points 1,185,395
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, May 28 2010 11:58 AM
Ever heard of Avatron Software? Don't worry, most people would agreethat they haven't. But they have just produced one of those "killerapps" for iPad that we said would convert it from a cute and functionaltoy to something of a must-have device in the future during our review.If you've been searching for "reasons" to actually buy an iPad, thismight be one. Those secondary displays from Mimo Monitors have been areal hit, as there's hardly a computer user who would say that they haveplenty of screen real estate.

But it's not always easy to lug around a USB monitor. If you're iPadends up with your carry-on bags anyway, the Air Display app may make itfar more useful if you travel and find yourself using a notebook often.Basically, Air Display turns your iPad into an extra monitor for yournetbook, laptop or desktop; it works over Wi-Fi, and basically tricksyour host machine into thinking that your tablet is in fact anothermonitor that needs to be fed.

It's really as simple as that, and while it's not perfect fortransmitting video or fast-moving action onto the iPad display, it'sideal for having your chat window, e-mail, etc. just residing over onthe side and out of your main view. This is obviously best for netbooksand ultraportables, as the 9.7" IPS panel on the iPad adds a great dealof screen space (percentage wise). It's available now for $9.99, and ifyou already own an iPad, that's far less expensive than buying anentirely new secondary display.

Air Display connects the devices over a localized wireless networkand leverages the iPad's auto-rotation feature, allowing the device tobe rotated in portrait or landscape orientation as needed. The iPad canbe positioned to the left or right of the primary screen, and thedevice's hallmark touch-screen functionality can still be used tomanipulate features on the iPad screen, just as if it were being usedalone.

The app delivershi-performance mouse capabilities with a screen refresh rate of 150frames per second for no perceivable lag time in mouse performance.Compressed image quality and refresh speed are continually balanced tooptimize viewing quality or speed of movement as needed.

For easy installation,the required Mac components are installed to the main machine, with theAir Display app loaded on the iPad. Once basic configurations are made,the main machine automatically recognizes the iPad as a secondarymonitor each time the app is loaded on the device. Once the iPad app isclosed, the main machine automatically returns to single-screen mode.

For best results, astand may be used to position the iPad in the ideal viewing position—apicture frame, plate holder or folding stand works well, as do some iPadcases.

Designed by seasonedMac OS developers with more than 25 years of Apple software engineeringexperience, Air Display is the result of deep iPlatform knowledge tomost effectively leverage the platform's unique capabilities.

Avatron's success withits first two iPad apps are the result of the company's focus onproductivity apps, which translate very well on the iPad, relative tothe iPhone. Avatron's first iPad app was Air Sharing HD, which letsusers transfer virtually every file type from their desktop to the iPad,creating a portable document storage device.

Air Display for iPad isavailable in the U.S. now for just $9.99in the App Store. The Mac OS installer is free at www.avatron.com/ad.International versions will launch in conjunction with the iPadinternational launch.

Air Display is part ofAvatron's highly acclaimed family of productivity Apps for iPhone, iPodtouch and iPad. For more information, visit www.avatron.com.

• | Post Points: 110
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Fri, May 28 2010 11:19 PM

:D there seems to be more and more use for the ipad xD. Like the idea but how many people will use it? (Just asking... Smile)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, May 29 2010 9:42 AM

That's pretty cool! If I had an iPad, I'd definitely shell out $10 for that.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Sun, May 30 2010 7:24 AM

Absolutely. I get the feeling that this app is going to be a hit-- and you can't beat the price!

I already have a secondary monitor for my Windows box, so this would make a great accompaniment for the OSX Mac sitting next to it. (I suspect that OS 9 capability is a pipe dream. Ah well.)

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I have something similar for my netbook which allows me to use it as a extra display. It's way to laggy to be used for a lot of things, but I generally keep vent in it since people like to change there TTS name to something ridiculous that tells me nothing about who just joined while I am in a full screen game or vent is in the background. Not that I am bitter or anything.

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Points 190

Would the touch pad part of the Ipad still, E.I controll the computer through the Ipad?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
jimmybraw replied on Fri, Jun 11 2010 12:34 AM

wish the getting started and doc in general were clearer, if only for non-techies, but even better formatted and written out. under "install" on launching the ipad app, it says "Install" --- turns out, that means "Install helper app on your Mac". couldn't that be explicit? then, what's an 'ad-hoc network'? some of us know, but shouldn't the walk-thrus be crystal clear and perfectly designed? why not? Acai Max Cleanse

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I have recently purchased 16gb from this website - http://www.prepaymania.co.uk/mobilephone/apple-ipad-16gb-us-model.html?stid=89026 site and I was looking for this kind of application since so long. Thanks for sharing such a niche application. I will definitely vote for this application in itunes. Let me know the link for the same.
Cheers!

• Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS