Amazon's Kindle DX Not Doing So Hot At University

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,859
Points 1,171,605
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, May 27 2010 5:03 PM
Amazon's Kindle DX has managed to nearly vanish from the spotlight after being ceremoniously introduced at Pace University in New York last year, but Amazon never really intended for the DX to make a huge stand in the consumer market place. Rather, the DX was meant to overtake the textbook in the education sector, and possibly even the newspaper/magazine sectors. So far as the industry can tell, none of those takeovers really happened, and while some universities gave the DX a chance, feedback from students seems to indicate that it didn't exactly pass with flying colors.

The 10" e-reader has plenty of space for text, but the most major problem is the inability to display color charts and graphics at all, not to mention the slow page refresh (compared to quickly flipping to various pages in a real book). Students found it difficult or impossible to adjust, with most of the feedback from Virginia University and University of Washington students being negative. In fact, one student in particular was elated to hear that one of the classes she elected wasn't equipped to be taken with an e-reader, so another heavy textbook was added to her arsenal.

By and large, the students enjoyed using the DX for casual reading, but it wasn't so great for getting real work done. Some students at Princeton University and Portland-based Reed College praised the long battery life and "green" factor from saving paper, but when it came time to get busy with classes, the majority preferred old fashioned books. Amazon's still got a huge opportunity in the education sector, but it seems that breaking through in colleges will be more difficult than originally assumed. 
  • | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
lazypro replied on Fri, May 28 2010 10:44 AM

You would think that putting the ebook on a capable laptop would solve this dilema. Most students already carry a notebook to class anyways.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Ouch. I do agree with lazypro about laptops. Everyone in college has them anyway.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Sat, May 29 2010 12:45 AM

Exactly everyone in college has a laptop, and it has at least a decent color multi use screen. Whereas the Kindle has neither! Now if I could get a decent tablet that was not Apple fanboy locked up hardware/software a tablet would be a different story. I want one that is open source, and think that one on open source will be the actual birth of Linux.

Compare every browser on the market to Firefox or even Chrome, but as a picture I think FF fits better what you would see in 2-3 years compared. As far as Amazon goes with the Kindle I think there about to go the way of the dodo personally unless they can get color on it, and within the year from now. The only positive is the E-ink screen, but even that is going down as there are other companies who have color or varying e-ink technologies which are close to roll out as well.

As for a book specifically I don't know. I have been a very avid reader my whole life (taught myself to read when I was 3-3.5), and when my mom (who was in education) sat me down to teach me to read I already knew how. I appreciate the movement and encompassing of technology here. I just don't know if it can beat a good book for this specific task.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Sat, May 29 2010 7:43 PM

What with the remote deletion scandal, I'm surprised that the Kindle is approved at all for students' use. I can just see the joy on campus when term papers are due, and Amazon decides they'd better administer a clyster to your books and notes.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

ClemSnide:

What with the remote deletion scandal, I'm surprised that the Kindle is approved at all for students' use. I can just see the joy on campus when term papers are due, and Amazon decides they'd better administer a clyster to your books and notes.

They promised they would never do that again. It would be some really really bad PR if they did.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630

Bob, remember Scotty's quote in the "Friday's Child" episode of the original Star Trek series: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

I betcha BP has promised that they'll never, ever, blow up another oil rig ever again.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,185
MembershipAdministrator

ClemSnide:
I betcha BP has promised that they'll never, ever, blow up another oil rig ever again.

The next one will be at twice the depth too.

I like my Kindle for casual reading. There is no eye strain and the pages refresh fast enough for my tired eyeballs.

All of the comments about laptops are really a no-brainer because the Kindle application that is available for any PC or Mac Laptop/Desktop allows you to read any Kindle based text on your PC using it instead. The Kindle format not embracing color is another story. It should be enabled on PC's already and color Kindles should be delivered too. The Barns and Noble 'Nook' has a color screen already. There is no excuse for being stuck in the mud of progress Amazon.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS