5-Way SSD Round-Up: Sandforce vs. JMicron

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,085
Points 1,183,235
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, May 25 2010 10:29 AM

5-Way SSD Round-Up: Sandforce vs. JMicron It is hard to believe that almost two years has passed since we first rounded-up some of the first solid state drive offerings for the PC. Since that time, the landscape has changed dramatically. Capacities have increased somewhat, but performance has been improved significantly. Many early solid sate drives suffered from terrible stuttering issues and offered performance that was actually lower than much more affordable, traditional hard drives. Today though, SSDs are far more stable and reliable and their performance is orders-of-magnitude better than even the fastest of hard drives.

Despite the rapid pace of advancement in the SSD space, innovation doesn't seem to be slowing. With that in mind, we've pulled together a quintet of the newest drives to hit the market, based on recently released controller designs from SandForce and long-time player JMicron, the SF1200 and JM612, respectively. We've got drives from OCZ, OWC, Corsair, and Patriot Memory on tap, but before we dig into the products themselves, let's take some time to talk about the controllers at the heart of the drives. It is, after all, the SSD's controller that determines much of how a drive will behave and perform in the real-world... SandForce and JMicron Based Drives From OCZ, OWC, Patriot and Corsair -- One of These Drives Is Not Like the Others...

5-Way SSD Round-Up: Sandforce vs. JMicron

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Tue, May 25 2010 12:29 PM

Nice Round-Up again Marco I like these reviews cause its head to head and the results are right there for you to see. With that said SSD's are the future until then my Caviar Black will have to hold me over.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Nice SSD read

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I'm starting to really like the SandForce drives. They all seem to perform very well.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,875
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Jun 26 2010 10:08 AM

bob_on_the_cob:

I'm starting to really like the SandForce drives. They all seem to perform very well.

Me too, just waiting on the prices to relax some more. I can't afford them otherwise.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255

OCZ Vertex 2 lookin pretty good.  I'd like to get about 5 of those in RAID 5.

one day........

i7 950 - ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - ASUS GTX 570 - AZZA Hurricane - 6 GB Corsair 1600 - Corsair AX750 - WD 1tb black  Cool Thank You HH!!!!!!Cool

AMD 1090T - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - XFX HD5850 x2 - CM Storm Scout - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Corsair HX850 - Sammy spinpoint f3 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,875
MembershipAdministrator

I just broke down and ordered an OCZ 60-GB Agility-2 SSD Drive.

Soon I'll know what the heck everyone else has been crowing about,.....I guess.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS