$$$ ENTHUSIAST GAMING RIG

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
sXm Posted: Mon, May 24 2010 3:41 AM

G'day HH!

Been a frequent reader on HH forums but have just created my account. I am looking for opinions and advice on a new enthusiast gaming rig.

IMPORTANT READ THIS BEFORE ANSWERING -> Many of you will look at the total price of this system and scoff before mumbling something about it being a waste of money etc. etc. I am not interested in peoples opinions on whether or not I should/shouldn't spend this much on a PC. As the title states it is an enthusiast rig... this is my hobby, and I am very happy to spend money on it. If you have ever had a hobby you will know that many of them are expensive.

Ok now that is off my chest I say a big hello to all the remaining forum readers who if they are still reading are probably just as interested in pure performance as I am. Below are the parts I am currently planning for:

-->

It is my aim to have the whole system watercooled (especially with three fermis!) I have looked at the case and I am not sure how I could possibly fit a 2x or 3x 120mm radiator in there for the GPU water loop. There is that perfect spot at the top of the case for the 120mm ECO A.L.C. radiator for the CPU though. Do you have any advice on how I could WC the 480's? This is perhaps my biggest problem with the current build.

I have listed the Dell 3008WFP as my gaming display below. I have read extensive reviews for this monitor and it seems to be overall a great contender in the 30" market. For pure gaming purposes in your opinion is a 30" or 3x 24" better? Another option I had in mind was the new 120Hz 3x ACER G245HQ (or 235HZ is its other model number). This would then also support the 3D Vision Surround of the fermis. Tough choice!

CASE:
MAINGEAR SHIFT Chassis with Advanced Vertical Heat Dissipation (Essentially its a Silverstone RV-01 with a modified exterior)

PSU:
Silverstone Strider ST1500 1500W

CPU:
Asus Rampage III Extreme X58 Supporting CrossFire and SLI, USB 3.0, SATA 6G
Intel® Core™ i7-980X Extreme Edition 3.33GHz (32nm) 6-core with HT OC @ 4.5GHz
CoolIT ECO A.L.C. CPU Liquid Cooling

VIDEO:
3x EVGA GeForce GTX 480 Hydro Copper FTW @ 825MHz (3rd Party WB?)
Dell UltraSharp 3008WFP 30-inch LCD With DisplayPort

RAM:
Corsair Dominator-GT 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 2000 SDRAM

HDDS:
BOOT – Intel X25-E Extreme SSDSA2SH064G1 2.5" 64GB SATA II SLC
GAMES – Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC256MAG-1G1 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC
BACKUP – 2x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" (RAID)

OTHER:
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit OEM
EVGA Bigfoot Killer 2100 Network Card
Razer® Mamba™ Wireless Laser Gaming Mouse
Psyko 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones with Amplifier and Mic

I am really looking forward to hearing any suggestions people might have to improve the build, particularly on the cooling and display side.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,435

sXm:
If you have ever had a hobby you will know that many of them are expensive.

Welcome to HH your in the right place good people here good forums. I got that problem on my hobby love hot rod computers. Problem is my wants are bigger than my wallet! But nice specs on your build have fun on it!! Let us know how it turns out and post your build pictures! 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

any reason your adding the net card? Other than that it looks good. what LC are you going to use?

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Thu, Jun 24 2010 8:29 PM

After looking at the pictures, I too cannot find a way to fit a large radiator into that case.

Not sure how much clearance you have in the bottom section where the PSU is located. If there is enough room, the only thing you could stick in there is probably a 120mm radiator. If it does fit, Swiftech for example has a 120mm radiator that is stackable. Maybe you could make a sandwich of sort: fan>rad>fan>rad.

Other than that, it would be modding your case a little bit and mounting a large radiator to the back. Space it out with a rad box so it can intake air from outside with an inch plus of clearance from your case. In other words, it won't be drawing any air from inside your case. It just hangs on the back of your case.

That is all the ideas I have for now.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS