Wine 1.2 Release Candidate now out!

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 Posted: Sat, May 22 2010 4:04 PM

Every day, I update my local git source repository and compile/install the latest Wine, to check out the new changes and keep an eye out for regressions.  Imagine my surprise yesterday when I saw they bumped the version number, up to Wine 1.2-rc1.  The official release statement is at:  http://www.winehq.org/announce/1.2-rc1

Wine 1.2 will be only the second "stable" (ongoing support) release since it's creation - the first being Wine 1.0.

This is great news for the general Linux user, because many Linux distros only include patched versions of Wine 1.0 in their default repositories.  Wine 1.0 was released almost two years ago, and many features have been added an performance improvements made in that timeframe.

If you're saying "WTF is Wine?" right now, that's understandable.  Wine is a complete re-implementation of the Windows APIs, meant to run on multiple platforms (Linux, FreeBSD, OSX).  I wrote a bit more about it over on my site when I put together a page on cross-execution (sorry for the certificate warning, I made my own so it's not signed by anyone you trust) that outlines all the options people have when moving away from Windows.

A lot of people will argue that Wine is not necessary, or a "bad" thing because it encourages companies to continue developing solely for Windows.  I'd like to think I'm a realist in this arena; I believe that people should have the greatest choice in what they run, and while I will prefer a native solution for performance/support reasons, Wine gives me a much greater number of options in the areas where there will not soon be an equivalent number of native solutions (i.e. games).

For those not already using Wine:  If you want to see if your apps will run under Wine on Linux, you can consult the Wine AppDB.  I've personally had a 90%+ success rate, but mostly only use it to play Civ4 and CS:S.  I have about 20 Windows games installed, and the only game I own that does not work at the moment is Dirt2.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sat, May 29 2010 10:21 AM

Wine 1.2-rc2 out now!

This is on-track to be a great release.  The final version should be out by June.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Do you have issues with chat boxes in steam? If I open one from the friends list it works fine, but if someone sends me a message is is minimized and I can't change the size of it. Have to close it and send people a note back saying sorry what did you say. It is killing me because I always have someone messaging me.

Anyway I might try out 1.2 tomorrow after work and see if it fixes anything as I wait for Steam for Linux.

Edit: HOLY CPUs BATMAN!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Wed, Jun 2 2010 8:04 PM

bob_on_the_cob:

Do you have issues with chat boxes in steam? If I open one from the friends list it works fine, but if someone sends me a message is is minimized and I can't change the size of it. Have to close it and send people a note back saying sorry what did you say. It is killing me because I always have someone messaging me.

Anyway I might try out 1.2 tomorrow after work and see if it fixes anything as I wait for Steam for Linux.

I personally never use it.  I've messaged back and forth outside of games before, but as I understand it there are issues with the way it was implemented in-game that can cause problems that just aren't very easy for the devs to workaround.

This is one of the reasons it would be awesome for us if we see a native Steam/Source implementation actually happen in the next year or so.

bob_on_the_cob:

Edit: HOLY CPUs BATMAN!

LoL...  Yeah... 6-core i980X with hyperthreading that makes each look like two...  HotHardware and iBuyPower ROCK.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS