Zotac ZBox HD-ID11 and Next Gen ION

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,160
Points 1,185,410
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, May 19 2010 11:58 AM

Zotac ZBox HD-ID11 and Next Gen IONToday we're going to be looking at a product that incorporates not only Intel's new generation of dual-core Atom D510 processor but also NVIDIA's latest Ion graphics core into what could very well be a capable machine for a myriad of small form-factor computing requirements, including possibly taking residence in your living room entertainment center.  The Zotac Zbox is here.  It's a little over 7 inches square and a little over 1.5-inches thick but don't let its diminutive size fool you...

Zotac ZBox HD-ID11 and Next Gen ION

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,587
Points 54,890
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, May 19 2010 10:55 PM

Cricket, cricket... where the heck is everyone? :)

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 194
Points 1,430
Xylem replied on Thu, May 20 2010 12:21 AM

I am still waiting for that comparo. I am very sure this thing will beat its Predecessor, the 1st gen Zotac MAG ND01, but still curious by how much. I had got that when it retailed for 299 for CarPC duty. The price cut is a welcome sign in the right direction, since this was one of the pricey units. Marco, do that favor, Please.

Travel Rig |Acer Aspire One - ZG5 Mods so far |Toshiba MK4009GAL 40GB.4 - port USB HUB with BT, Touchscreen & GPS. 1GB RAM upgrade. | 

Main Rig |Core 2 Quad Q6600(3.2GHz), 2x2GB OCZ Reaper 800 MHz RAM, 19" AOC 913FW, 2 x 500GB WD HDD & 2 x 1TB WD Green, nVIDIA 8600GT 1GB

Suzuki Swift GTi | 2008 Version | Lots of mods in pipeline.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Xylem:

I am still waiting for that comparo. I am very sure this thing will beat its Predecessor, the 1st gen Zotac MAG ND01, but still curious by how much. I had got that when it retailed for 299 for CarPC duty. The price cut is a welcome sign in the right direction, since this was one of the pricey units. Marco, do that favor, Please.

I can tell you one thing its a heck of a lot faster than my netbook. Though I still get down every now and then with some Quake live.

My little bro wants a PC for his birthday. I have been looking for something light like this. He has a dell mini netbook that he plays on, but he likes to play Team Fortress 2 with me and that Intel graphics just kills any chance of that. This looks like it could keep up with mid/low settings just fine. Judging from the HL2:E2 benchmarks. Glad you did the media center stuff in the vid. That is really the market. Would go great with a HDTV.

Then again I have a hard time justifying something like this when I just found this combo last week for a guy in my TF2 community. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.390724 more power and the option to use a dedicated graphics card later if you want. I thought maybe I am just the geek that wouldn't mind having a big box in my living room and normal people would like this, but being a barebones it is not really marketed at them.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,587
Points 54,890
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, May 20 2010 9:11 AM

Hi Xylem, this is my article actually and unfortunately we had different reference numbers from the first gen Zotac machine that I couldn't use. However, if you look at the Asus netbook numbers in this article, that's essentially the same configuration, dual-core Atom 330 with first gen Ion.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Dave_HH:
Hi Xylem, this is my article

I always know when you or Marco are up to something. I saw you in HL2:E2 the other day on steam. I was wondering what was on the way.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
coutch replied on Mon, May 24 2010 5:08 PM

Looks like nvidia did indeed release updated drivers, their new "release 256 family of drivers

I recall reading on another review site, that the issue was due to copying the decoded video back and forth between the GPU and the memory, and since this is over a single PCIe lane, there's not enough bandwidth to do so at those bitrates.

Any chance to see if this addresses the flash issues ?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS